Houzz Logo Print
tee8

Living room design

tee8
10 anni fa
Excuse the toddler mess! But need thoughts on how to decorate the living room. We like the more rustic/traditional/pottery barn look if that helps

Commenti (113)

• tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    What about the plant instead in the corner?
  • mlainter
    10 anni fa
    no...even that much partially blocked door leads to design disaster...if it possible to have at least 2"-3" of the wall between the door and the sofa, it would be great...move the plant closer to the window, right behind the toy-house
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Here's another angle for the plant area
  • Catherine Giesige
    10 anni fa
    I think the plant looked better where it was and suggest you place the floor lamp tucked between the sofa and the end table and see if that works. The table may need to be angled...not sure if it will work but you could give it a try. Is it possible to move the two seater a little more into the room?
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @cathieg: that's where the plant has been though...
  • Elisa Jed
    10 anni fa
    I love those windows! Sometimes it is hard to find a good way to work with bigger windows and doors but I think you did an excellent job!
  • Catherine Giesige
    10 anni fa
    Sorry, I was looking at the picture where the plant was over by the play area. I think it looks best there.
  • Laurie Tillett
    10 anni fa
    How about a wall unit with cubbies and baskets for toy storage just to the left of your fireplace. then, a soft rug in the middle of the area.
  • Laurie Tillett
    10 anni fa
    Just read the bit about the nocturnal pooping kitty. Putting kitty-poo into a crate at night may solve your problem. Just like a dog, they won't poop where they sleep.
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @laurence Tillbet: ha! Yes our nocturnal pooping kitty! She will poop where she sleeps. Done it several times already unfortunately.

That is a good idea for the toy situation. I was actually looking into a bookcase fur that area before she was born.. So prob good thing I didn't buy it now! Thank you for the tips!!
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @cathieg: you think the plant looks best by the fireplace or by the sofa/table?
  • PRO
    3 Day Blinds
    10 anni fa
    Hi Tee8,

Great bay window you have in this room! I think you could brighten this space up with some window treatments that gently filter light into your space. Here are a few window treatment options that are great for light control:

-Cellular Shades- http://www.3dayblinds.com/window-treatments/shades/cellular
    -Horizontal Sheer Shades- http://www.3dayblinds.com/window-treatments/shades/horizontal-sheer
    -Pleated Shades- http://www.3dayblinds.com/window-treatments/shades/pleated
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Lamp look silly here?
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @3day blinds: is it even possible to have shades hung with this style of window?? Where would you drill???
  • PRO
    3 Day Blinds
    10 anni fa
    Tee8, I don't see why not, with an inside mount (see link below). We have free in-home design consultations, our Design Consultants come to your home, measure and help you pick the perfect window treatments based off elements that are important to you and install!

http://www.3dayblinds.com/docs/measureinstall-guides/how_to_measure.pdf
  • Natalie Potyonek
    10 anni fa
    Tee8 - You will have to do an outside mount on these windows. They can be tricky with those angles....measure from the angle's corner to the next angles corner and subtract about 1". That will give you 1/2" wiggle room. If the "valance" of the shade is deep...say 1 1/2" deep, you may want to subtract more
    because those will most likely meet each of the next windows "valance". The lamp doesn't look good by the fire place. The plant looks nice by it though. If it needs elevated put a plant stand under it. I was thinking that floating shelves on either side of the fireplace would be awesome for DVD and Receiver and pics...you could but 2 matching storage pieces below for toys. Have you tried the large sofa in front of the window? I have balance issues...I can't sleep until things are balanced!!!! That window is so big and your sofa is as well, I think these two are ment for each other. Putting that loveseat in front of that window is just not proportioned at all! And the loveseat looks stuffed in that corner. Give the L-Shaped a try....big sofa in front of the window. Are you pulling your hair out yet? lol.
  • Natalie Potyonek
    10 anni fa
    Better yet, have 3-day blinds do it!
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @natalie: YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!! Totally pulling my hair out. The seat back of the sofa is really high. I'm 5'8" and it's to the top of my head so think it'll block too much, no?
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @natalie: don't think this works: leaves the long wall EXTREMELY bare.
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Still blocks entryway too
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    To get that look you have to get rid of big black sofas. Carte and Barrel have some great looks think scale this is a small room. 6 ft sofa and 2 small accents chairs they can be a print. Sofa sold. Like a pale gray fabric. Is the room used for TV? Can we see another pic taken from sofa. How big is room. New window covers for sure. Roman shades puled work with crate and B. get two Lon storage ottomans in a light color and put baby stuff inside.
  • Natalie Potyonek
    10 anni fa
    HMMMM.... I love the way that feels when you look at it from the first angle...from the dining area. If there was a sofa table behind the loveseat , that view would be much cleaner.....you need a minimum of 42" for passage. BUT I see what you mean about the long wall...But then again, that could become your entertainment wall. Or a hutch like piece. Maybe swinging the Loveseat around to face the window would feel nice too. I like the large sofa there....imagine taking the window treatments out another 3 feet on either side...What a statement!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    I like chest for coffee table put smaller sofa on wall add end table, reclaimed wood look. On window add the two accent chairs in a print wing back is nice. small glass table between add tall lamp next to sofa and floor lamp on other end. On wall we can't see looking at windows a big 45" sunburst mirror. center between arm of sofa and opening. Hang low. Over sofa a large 40x40 art with color. Area rug 8 x10 in your accent colors.and color of walls for base.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    Change area rug to 6x9 no furn on it except coffee.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    Didn't realize window had a seat. No table between chairs, and go lower back. Not too big.
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @travisinteriors: so you are saying do not use large sofa at all in living room? Just the loveseat against the wall with the coffee table/end table? Sorry but what is the difference between a floor lamp and a tall lamp??
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 anni fa
    Been watching this thread and your struggle with the massive sofas in a traditional home's small living room. I'd go back to your original layout with the large sofa facing the FP and the love facing the window. Then pull them out into the center of the room so that the love is floating out in front of the pony wall passage into the other room. The front of the love should be aligned with the right side brick of the FP. Adjust the large sofa so its center cushion is squared up with the firebox. This should work in warm weather, but if you use the FP you may have to adjust in cold weather. Then I'd put the large sofa in front of the window and the love on the short wall to the right of the pony wall passage. I think your bow window will be better with simple fabric roman shades inside mounted, especially if the sofa has to go there in winter. The sheers just don't work with the hulking dark sofas.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    You must have two threads going? Anyway. Just saw whole rm. pod not like huge sofa blocking entry. Just get a small sectional. 2 seater with a chaise on each end. Med gray, add teal pillows as accents. That's all ad triage one next to firepl for toys. 20" round ottoman in print fabric, for coffee table pull sect into room so back is even with window end about 3 ft. Add narrow sofa table behind it add few items in your accent color. Remove all things from mantel not needed. Roman shades in print.
  • girlfrommarz
    10 anni fa
    Try the lamp in the corner, the couch next to the lamp, and then the side table between the doorway and the big couch. The plant goes in the corner where all the toys are. Then would something like this be in the budget to put under the window. You can turn it on its side, add baskets for storage, and a coushion on top for even more seating. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20116274/#/90116275
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    Pull floor lamp up to side of sect. Put plant in corner where lamp was. On wall where plant was, lean a tall 6 ft miror in dark frame thick. Center on wall secure with hook and wire on back. I would paint a dove gray making TV wall 2 shades darker gray. Furn in dark gray leather would work. Update firepl with glass tiles in a black, gray and white long tile. Paint brick black.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    Paint mantel white. More dramatic. Right now furn is too big for room.
  • abbyjean
    10 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 10 anni fa
    I love love love it the way you had it when you started your post today.....love seat angled and the couch on the long wall and the plant by the fireplace.......that makes that area a part of the room, besides toys there. I love seeing the coffee table and the end table. My ONLY suggestion was going to be to move the floor lamp. That truly needs to be NEXT to the furniture without a table between them. So that is why it needs to either go between the sofa and the end table or at the other end of the sofa, by that entry. THEN you can USE it! This arrangement works for you.........good views for the window area and the tv and room to play, too. Now on to pics on the wall behind the couch!!!
  • mousemaker
    10 anni fa
    poor Tee8!!! you must be nuts by now!!! i'm sorry I shouldn't have posted before. I really just chimed in and it was nothing :) I do have one thing but I think it was covered already..i wouldn't leave a floor lamp along like that if you have small children. it can easily be pulled over. Also, I love how your kitty adapts to the changes and tries out the new vantage points :)
    I still think you should use your window for plants, but only ones that the children will not be harmed by. maybe an herb garden.
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @abbyjean: YES!! I think this finally works!! Considering we don't have money in the budget for new furniture this will have to do. Not sure about the lamp in between the end table since then how would you use the end table for drinks and such? But yes I'm finally relieved and TIRED! Ha. Been doing this while taking care of my cranky 2 1/2 year old AND my 4 month old.. On top of bad sleep. What us mommies can do right? ;) thank you sooo much for your help along the way. It really has helped. Now.. My BIGGEST pet peeve.. What to put on these walls?????!!!!!!!
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @mousemaker: yes my kitty has to be in the same room as me so she was trying it out! Lol.

I agree about the lamp. That's why I'm hesitant to put it by itself on the side of the sofa. I guess I'll see.
    I use the window seat during the holidays for decorations. I put pumpkins in the window for fall/Halloween and other decorative stuff for Christmas. I should start putting some plants in the window. Thanks for the tips! Really appreciate it!
  • abbyjean
    10 anni fa
    Ya know, maybe you will have to find a table lamp to put beside the couch, as I agree you NEED that table there for glasses. Target and Shopko have gteat lamps and great prices if you do not have one from another room that could work there. Maybe go ahead and put the floor lamp behind the love seat since there is room there for it right now. You have worked hard on this room, in addition to your role as Mommy, but now you can enjoy that role even more, knowing your room looks GOOD!!! And it works for the kids, too!!!

Art on that wall will soooooo change this room! It has to be either one big one or a couple of smaller ones.....75% of the space behind the couch gets occupied by the art, or close to it. If it is too small or hung to high, the wall would be better off blank. I was with another poster last weekend that went to a consignment shop/goodwill and found just what she wanted for her couch wall. Take a moment to check those out......as the prices will appeal to you and you might be surprised what treasure there are!!!

I can imagine how nice that window area is decorated....and it is too high for little hands to get into!!!! We have a window area like this, but it is low to the floor, so it is used as a window seat and just a tray on there with a few things. I love those windows!!!

Happy Friday to you!!!
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @abbyjean: yeah, I was thinking on a small table lamp. I've seen some really cute ones so I'm sure it'll be fine there.

But yes, I'm think a set of something behind the couch or one big piece of SOMETHING! Ha. What about the walls behind the loveseat in the corner now and the wall adjacent to the sofa?
  • abbyjean
    10 anni fa
    The walls behind the love seat....because there is SPACE.....would be fun for floating shelves. You can find them in many places and then prop some pictures on them.....of your precious family! Layer them so they are not just lined up.....that will be your Pottery Barn style for sure! Add a little deco with the art.....a colored pot or vase or Mother's Day gift.

Put the floor lamp more by the drape side and let the lamp be the wall deco there and only do the floating shelf on the entrance wall. One would be fine if you put larger pics on it. IF you have smaller pics to use, get two shelves, but do not stagger them.....stack them. Get black to tie in with the black tv on the opposite end of the room.
  • abbyjean
    10 anni fa
    Start out with just something over the couch and not the entry wall at first, especially if you have something on the other side....like the floating shelf. Now this is where you could have fun as a family.....buy a blank canvas and some paint in the colors you love in that room and paint it together......remember doing some of those in art where you put paint on something and took a straw and blew the paint in different directions. Do you like art like that instead of a scene? THAT could work or you could try the goodwill places for their pics and ones that are already framed, too. Not sure if your oldest has colored or painted any fun pics for you that could be framed for this room???
  • abbyjean
    10 anni fa
    Looks like there might be room on the right side of the love seat for a little basket to sit, full of toys for the baby.....or the cat. A basket is a good touch for your dream room, too.
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Abbyjean you are awesome!! Thank you thank you!! I was thinking on floating shelves for pics. So no staggering then, got it. I just put the lamp behind the loveseat and it looks kind of ridiculous...

Also side note our window seat is low too. Our daughter always sits up there! ;)
  • abbyjean
    10 anni fa
    Oh, you are soooooo right! That lamp cannot stay there......it looks like it shrunk or something! Is the base too big for it AND the table to be good neighbors by the couch?
  • abbyjean
    10 anni fa
    The grandkids love that window area and I have some paint to touch up their little shoe marks on the wall below as they love to swing and kick their feet. One loves to get up there and JUMP off! Oh,my!
  • Natalie Potyonek
    10 anni fa
    Tee, now that you have found a layout you are happy with...I think by making the curtains extend out past the window much farther will help make the window wall not look so choppy.. does that make sense? I think the heavy dark drape makes that wall look short and in return the love seat stuffed on a small wall. If the drapes were to fall closer to the corner it will look like it fits perfectly. I love the floating shelf Idea. Great way to utilize that corner. You don't need a lamp next to the love seat. The window provides all the light you will need. That floor lamp is not large enough for the scale of furniture you have. I think a beefy table lamp next to the large sofa will be better. IF the lamp must stay, prop it up on something to give it more height and get a larger shade, maybe square shaped or round. Looking good!
  • mousemaker
    10 anni fa
    Quilts can make nice wall hangings too--just a thought :)
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @natalie: I was thinking the very thing about the lamp. Prop it up on something. The drapes I've been considering on changing them up to something more light in color and the texture. Just have to be sure it keeps enough privacy at night. Was thinking a curtain with a design on it in maybe a pale green??
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Or maybe a tan drape with the design in a brown or light green like sage color?
  • abbyjean
    10 anni fa
    A pattern on your drape would be awesome since your furniture is solid and there is a lot of it. I think a sage green as part of your curtain would be great! Make sure the base color is not too heavy and that is still pops against your walls.
  • Glenna Gordon
    10 anni fa
    Thank you tee8 for posting all the pics of arrangements you have tried. There are so many opinions to take into account! I am the one who has a similar room design to yours and I actually like one of the arrangements that you didn't - with the long couch in front of the window. The loveseat does block the entry a little but the arrangement opens up a clear path for traffic to flow outside of the conversation area. I think I will try that with my room when I get some help moving things!

The way you have it now is good too, but I think the long couch should be moved to the right a little, that small pony wall ends and it looks like the couch sticks out beyond the wall even though it doesn't.

I have a roman blind on my window which is outside mounted because the spaces between the individual panes was not large enough to accommodate mounting it there.

I would live with this arrangement for a while before doing anything to the walls and see how you like it and how hubby and toddler like it - then go nuts with the accessories! Thanks again.
  • tee8
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    @glenna Gordon: yes, a lot of variations. Good thing the pieces slide on the floor! I sort of didn't mind the sofa in front of the window, just feel we need to get a shorter one (when the budget allows) and that whole wall just looked bare. My husband insisted on having the tv above the fireplace. I guess it could be a possibility to put bookcases on that wall? But then again prob would be in the way of the traffic flow. We get told by so many people that we shouldn't cover the window.. So who knows. So frustrating with our layout. Definitely a challenging one!! Good luck on your setup!
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".