Houzz Logo Print
matt_schucker

Kitchen Design Thoughts?

Matt Schucker
6 anni fa

Good morning! We are working on our kitchen design for a new build. Any thoughts?

Commenti (42)

• apple_pie_order
    6 anni fa

No outside walls? Do you have an architect or are you in the gathering ideas stage?

• Kristi Huber
    6 anni fa
    This looks similar to the kitchen that we started with - I wasn’t a fan of having a narrow wall with cabinets on the right side - I really don’t like hallways - so we reoriented the island and the lengthen the wall on the left so we could have the double ovens and pantry together.
  • Discussioni simili

Come scegliere una cucina?

Q

(23) commenti
    Consiglierei sicuramente un'ottimo piano cottura, è una parte fondamentale e che risalta subito all'occhio dal punto di vista estetico. Una volta scelto un buon piano cottura, preferibilmente in marmo, le antine sono da considerarsi come un'altra parte fondamentale. Sicuramente, l mia proposta ricade su una gola anche non troppo profonda, per dare un tocco di modernità (ormai le maniglie per il minima sono out), la gamma di colori può essere la più svariata ma è meglio tenersi sul sobrio senza esagerare con il colpo d'occhio. Rispettivamente i modelli: ARRITAL AK_04 ARRITAL AK_03
    ... mostra di più

Dettagli colorati nei rubinetti: si o no?

Q

(0) commenti
    Serie Paola & The Kitchen - Designed by Paola Navone
    ... mostra di più

New home! Kitchen

Q

(9) commenti
    Salve Giulio. Sicuramente in questo modo dai più respiro all'ambiente, ma: Il bagno non può affacciarsi sull'ambiente della cucina, è quindi necessario un antibagno. Se qualcuno va a dormire, chi rimane alzato dovrà stare molto attento ai rumori che in questo modo non vengono attutiti. Ti consiglio un progetto ad oc che tenga conto delle tue esigenze. Se mi contatti privatamente ne possiamo parlare. Maria Federica
    ... mostra di più

Cucine ikea - personalizzazioni

Q

(129) commenti
    io vado spesso da IKEA a Padova avendo la passione di case, arredi, architettura (all'acqua di rose perchè solo sentire derivate integrali ed equazioni mi viene male !). Vedo bellissimi ambienti ma guardando bene non c è molta sostanza però sono certa che chi è del mestiere es :un mobiliere, un architetto che conosce falegnami fabbri ecc riesce con fantasia, buon gusto e competenza a realizzare validi progetti! Purtroppo ci vado io che non sono falegname, che ho tempo limitato, che sto a casa a guardare Houzz perche sono reperibile e da li non mi posso muovere sta tranquilla che vado acquistare il bel ciaraffo che dura da Natale a Capodanno ! La cucina poi per carità io che di attacchi non ne capisco magari scelgo il modello bello ma con le misure sbagliate e allora dove sta il risparmio ? A proposito il letto Hemnes matrimoiale è valido quello lo vorrei per una seconda casa che ne dite ?BUON ANNO A TUTTI scusate la pappardella!
    ... mostra di più
  • shirlpp
    6 anni fa

So, if you have the oven opened no one can get into the kitchen from that side. Where is the microwave?

• Matt Schucker
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

This may help! Please note that the fridge location changed. The door to the right goes to mudroom/laundry/bathroom. The microwave is in the built in column near the fridge in our current 3D rendering. thanks for your thoughts!

• jenidi
    6 anni fa
    I had that config with the stove in front of the island in a previous house and shirlpp is right. It’s awful and awkward. Especially if you cook something heavy like a turkey. You could keep a stove top where you have the stove and have a wall oven in the wall of cabinets where the fridge originally was - that wouldn’t require changing your layout much and with a new build I’d imagine you’d have some leeway about wiring for a stove on that wall.
  • apple_pie_order
    6 anni fa

Not a good plan. The range and sink should not be across from one another. The fridge door should not block the doorway.

Try switching the positions of the dinette area and the kitchen.

I suggest hiring a kitchen designer who can help you get a good workable design.

• jenidi
    6 anni fa
    Oh. I also wouldn’t have the counter on the island rounded where the snack bar is. It looks very dated. The counter but is more complicated and expensive and it’s not as useful. If it’s straight across you’ll be able to seat more people as well.
  • Matt Schucker
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

I definitely appreciate the thoughts!

My parents have an almost identical plan and it seems to work well. I don't really envision leaving the oven open, so don't really think that blockage will be an issue.

I was also concerned at first with the stove and sink across from each other. The more I thought about it, I thought it made sense for filling pots with water to cook and just turning around, moving dirty dishes to sink, etc.

We definitely want the table situated where it is now- beautiful views out those back windows!

• sm m
    6 anni fa
    Is there a closet pantry? If not, I would find a place for one. I have a floor to ceiling cabinet as a pantry and despise it!!!
  • sm m
    6 anni fa
    I like Kristi Huber’s plan. You get a double oven and a pantry. Seems like she used her space wisely. Also, is there a designated place for a garbage can?
  • sm m
    6 anni fa
    Our old house had a smaller island in the center with pull out drawers for storage and then the side where the dinette area is there was the wrap around bar stool area that looks like what you have planned already- sink- dishwasher and the barstools were on opposite side of sink. I’m having trouble explaining but I liked the center island w storage. It basically looked like yours if you added a island and pushed out your current island. It makes a divider between your kitchen and dinette area but it’s open.
  • K Laurence
    6 anni fa

I agree with njay, I don’t like sinks or cooktops cluttering up the island.

• sm m
    6 anni fa
    I think it’s called a u shaped kitchen. The barstool area on one side and dishwasher on the other w the sink. Adding the extra counter area gave us more storage and an island in the center that was a solid piece w storage drawers below that was nice for pots and pans and larger items.
  • PRO
    STUDIO MB
    6 anni fa

Your plan looks just fine. I would just center the range on the back wall. Not only will it look better with but it will be more functional offset from your sink. The back wall is your focal point so don't mess that up.

• Matt Schucker
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

njay- I definitely have considered the dirty dishes being too visible with the sink in the island. We decided that A) the kitchen wall is unfortunately not an exterior wall, so no chance of windows and don't want to stair at wall and B) with the sink in the island, we can still feel like part of the family/conversation when doing dishes.

sm m- There IS a closet pantry! I should not have cropped the blueprint where I did- out the doorway on the bottom right is closet pantry and a little more counter/cabinet space. Regarding the layout on the photos you posted- It's nice, but I feel like it would close our open space off a bit and make travel to the rooms off the picture (down to the right) a little confined.

Studio MB- This is our first time building a home and we've learned a lot. One thing we continue to learn is it's good to plan as much out way ahead of time as possible. We unfortunately can't really move the range to the right due to the hood exhaust running into plumbing and also some structural elements.

The island also has the dishwasher to the left of sink and pull-out trash to the right of sink (as you stand at it).

Thanks for all your thoughts!

• simstress
    6 anni fa
    I think the latest design would work. Agree with others on deleting curves on countertops.

Add a spacer to right of fridge to allow fridge door to open fully... You might even make that a narrow tall cabinet instead of filler piece.

Sink: What config of sink are you planning? Single bowl? Double? Offset? The disposal closer to DW is more functional for me. Just think about how you want your sink/trash/DW to flow.

Lighting: Be sure your lighting plan is adjusted after changing cabinet/appliance placement.
  • Maureen
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Sounds like the layout has been thought out and meets your needs and structural considerings. The only thing I can see might be a problem is you moving the fridge to being next to the doorway leading to laundry/mud room and whenever door is opened, movement will be restricted. Perhaps consider moving it back to the original wall and add your microwave and a small coffee/ beverage/breakfast station and really convenient as well.

• Matt Schucker
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Maureen- I think I confused you. Here is a zoomed out view I should have put up originally! Also, I really like the picture you put up and was thinking about doing that with the wall at the bottom of this photo:

• Maureen
    6 anni fa

Sorry Matt, I should have referenced the butler's pantry..but the rationale is the same..will the door of the fridge when opened be a nuisance going in/out of pantry. If you used the wall of the pantry for the fridge, then you could resolve that problem. I know how you feel, as we worked endlessly on the layout of our kitchen as well. One of the best decisions we made was to have a separate wall of cabinetry and deep drawers. Good luck.

• Matt Schucker
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Maureen- oh, ok I understand! If you look at the original 3D render, I think that we are using the wall of the pantry as you suggest?

• Maureen
    6 anni fa

As it turns out - yes - lol. I was using your first rendering where fridge was along the back wall. All the best.

• Matt Schucker
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

I'm not sure I like the built in microwave in the big floor to ceiling build-out. Any other ideas? On the counter next to fridge?

• shirlpp
    6 anni fa

Do you really need a butlers pantry? When I built my home the builder questioned me about wanting it and put it in the design. I opted to get rid of it and have a larger dining room - and it is one of the best decisions I made with my home.

• Matt Schucker
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Without the butlers pantry we would have the same amount of cabinet space as in our current home, which is actually not enough.. so we are very much looking forward to the pantry :) Thanks for the thought though!

• User
    6 anni fa

Get that cleanup sink off of the island and on to the side cabinet run. Then put a prep sink on the island. The fridge needs to go on the end next to the dining.

• Matt Schucker
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

I don't think I like the idea of the fridge being next to dining for 2 reasons. 1) As we walk into the house, there will be a large cabinet/fridge immediately to our left, blocking the open feeling. 2) It will create a large blockage in an important travel pathway and we'll probably end up in each others way a lot.

Again, I really do appreciate the thoughts. That's why I posted this!

• User
    6 anni fa

Well, it needs to be on the perimeter of the space, easily accessible for those wanting drinks and water and snacks. That leaves one end of the back wall or the other with the prep and cleanup functions properly split as the should be. It’s not going against the pantry wall without having at least a 6” filler there. Better a 9” broom closet there instead. That makes that corner, with limited room, awfully congested.

• Matt Schucker
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

I'm posting on here because I don't have experience with this stuff... could you help me understand why I will need a 6" filler? thanks!

• User
    6 anni fa

Cause otherwise you won’t be able to open the door of the fridge enough to get the bins out.

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    6 anni fa
    Without a substantial filler, fridge door won’t open. And if is a French door fridge, it has thick doors and needs to open > 90 degrees so can pull out trays or drawers.
  • Matt Schucker
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Wouldn't the filler be at the same depth as the current panel planned there? Sorry I'm still confused. You're going off of the way everything is placed in the 3D render, correct? thanks

• Jan
    6 anni fa
    I personally do not like to have the sink or the stove on the island. It better for projects and entertaining. When you have company every one congregates there.
  • User
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Which is the whole reason that the cleanup zone needs to go on the side wall with only a small prep sink on the island. The Butler’s pantry needs a sink too.

• PRO
    Scorziell Development, Inc.
    6 anni fa
    You need to add some depth and height change ups to the upper cabinets. I would also consider a cabinet hood with a fan insert. A couple of glass door highlights would also help. Here is a photo of one of our kitchens.
  • PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    6 anni fa

Matt,

Your structural engineer and architect/designer need to get together to get rid of the column near the end of the island. I'm not sure why it's there. I'm pretty sure there's a better way.

I'll let the kitchen folks duke it out over your kitchen plan.

• User
    6 anni fa

Agree with Summit. Or else install another post so that it is symmetrical, with a shallow bookcase or built in buffet between the posts.

• Matt Schucker
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

We definitely got rid of the column! Yes, that would look terrible!

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    6 anni fa
    Good spotting on the column, that seems like a random location! I like having my sink on an island but only you know that. We have an 8’ x 3’ island with no seating and an 11” deep sink so the last dishes get dropped in the sink and ‘disappear’. Ok they don’t disappear but if we are eating in the kitchen seeing some dishes shouldn’t be surprising. If I want to pretend we have house elves we eat in the dining room!
  • PRO
    Interior Analysis by Allan Skriloff
    6 anni fa

Yes take away the upper cabinets and put a floor to ceiling cabinet next to the refrigerator with pull out shelves. you will have more storage and more usable. may be a single wall cabinet not matching for some ascent

• PRO
    CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
    6 anni fa

IMHO the 3-D rendered kitchen works fine. Do not put the refrigerator in the space shown on the architectural drawing. My refrigerator is in a similar spot against a wall, and it is a side-by-side. I absolutely hate it. Cannot open the door to the freezer more than 7". Your placement of the refrigerator in the 3-D plan is much better! Congratulations and good luck with your new home!

• PRO
    Interior Analysis by Allan Skriloff
    6 anni fa

you should move the fridge. to the right and I am gathering that your dish washer is on the left of the sink then with floor to ceiling to the left of the fridge. lets you easily put your dishes there.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".