Houzz Logo Print
barbie14

Need comparisons for concrete vs. granite vs. soapstone vs. Quartz

barbie14
10 anni fa
Need to see pros and cons of those 4 choices for kitchen counter tops.

Commenti (23)

• Julie Hill
    10 anni fa
    I can only speak for quartz. I did lots of research in deciding on countertops for the last house I built. My choice was the Silestone quartz for these reasons:
    1. It is not porous
    2. It does not require maintenance
    3. It looks good and is very durable
    4. It is environmentally sound

Simply put, I wanted beauty without the maintenance. I put the Silestone in kitchen and baths in my last house. I recently moved and put it in the kitchen. I have written a blog post about my entire kitchen remodel at www.southernwilddesign.com

Best of luck!
  • barbie14
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Thanks so much. Will read your blog.
  • PRO
    Twisted Minds Custom Designs
    10 anni fa
    barbie14, attached is a link to a FAQ's page I created to give a introductory look at concrete as a countertop material. As this is a man-made material, different artisans will have differing levels of skill, and mix designs/sealing properties can differ vastly, so it is always best to check with a local artisan(s) to find out what their products pros/cons may be. There is no perfect material, but each has properties that will be attractive to different people therefore your personal needs will dictate which material is best for you. I hope this helps, and if you have any additional questions about concrete, feel free to ask. I would be glad to answer.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/concrete-countertops-faqs-by-twisted-minds-custom-designs-dsvw-vd~346684
    barbie14 ha ringraziato Twisted Minds Custom Designs
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 10 anni fa
    If I were to spend money on a countertop, it would be quartz, for the reasons that Southern Wild Gardens stated above. I dislike most of the granite I see...too chunky looking.
  • barbie14
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Haven't looked at many samples yet, but granite seems quite shiny and heavy looking for my little kitchen
  • PRO
    Design Hintz Interior Design
    10 anni fa
    Granite can be finished in other ways besides polished. You can do what is called a honed finish which is matte instead of shiny. You can also have it brushed or leathered which takes away from the shine and gives it a bit of texture.

Check out this link, it explains polished, honed and leathered.
    barbie14 ha ringraziato Design Hintz Interior Design
  • Ann
    10 anni fa
    I think I'd choose either granite, soapstone or quartz for a kitchen. Concrete might be good for a bathroom. Consider a leathered finish if you choose granite. Even if you fall in love with a polished slab, it can be leathered. So, between the 3 choices, just see what you fall in love with. What color are the cabinets and floor? - that might help narrow it down.
  • barbie14
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    White cabinets, wood floor.
  • Ann
    10 anni fa
    Well, that definitely keeps soapstone in the running. It's beautiful with white cabinets. If you like dark granites, Virginia Mist or Antique Brown granite are very pretty with white cabinets.
  • barbie14
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Would love some more info. On soapstone
  • User
    10 anni fa
    Soapstone can be very lovely, it does need maintenance. I have seen some of the most gorgeous farm apron sinks plus counters of soapstone. It is a softer countertop, and can scratch, but that usually can be dealt with. It will be a very dark counter.

http://www.soapstones.com/soapstone_care.html this place has some info, faq, and does some diy and prefab sales....

Myself, I'm going for poured concrete with inset/imbedded large slab granite tiles. I am a ways away from getting materials and trying some test mix/pours .. I won't be able to get anyone to come in and do it for me, the logistics of distance is very real here.

On any counter surface, there will pros and cons; and a certain amount of care and maintenance. Myself personally, don't want the maintenance and sealing of granite or soapstone; if I pour concrete I will have some of those issues anyways. I have found varying comments on the granite sealing, some say six months, some say five years... I think it is the type of granite, the porousity of the stone, the way it is finished, the use, and the type of sealer and how applied.
  • barbie14
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Great website. Love it's look with white cabinets and wood type flooring . Sounds like constant oiling isn't necessary after the first 3 times if one doesn't want such a dark look.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 anni fa
    I love honed slate. If your space is small I think quartz in a light color is always nice. If you have a very modern kitchen the concrete works too.
  • lefty47
    10 anni fa
    HI -- Quartz is number 1 -- Concrete is number 2 --- Soapstone and or Marble is number 3 and people are getting tired of granite # 4 -- it is falling out of favor . This seems to be the trend in my area.
  • barbie14
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Thanks for wonderful info. I love the idea honed black marble. Will keep researching and looking at many examples.,thanks for taking time to educate me.
  • jlheiland
    10 anni fa
    I was originally going with soapstone for my new kitchen but wound up choosing honed Pietra Cardoza, it's beautiful
  • barbie14
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    great information. I read your blog. Loved your new kitchen. I am a landscape designer so enjoyed all of your blogs.
  • bardonsmith09
    9 anni fa
    With so many different kinds of countertop material to choose from – laminate, hardwood, granite, quartz, marble, and other natural stones – it can be difficult to choose.but You got help from here http://www.forevermarble.com/
  • PRO
    User
    9 anni fa
    Granite is the best natural stone for a kitchen. Engineered Quartz is also great if you like the look: This video has some granite and quartz facts. Other natural stones are harder to deal with than granite. Engineered Quartz is the easiest to deal with.
  • Megan Sashyl
    9 anni fa
    A great info about Concrete and granite. Do check up here for more info http://stores.ebay.com/Shop-N-Save-Mart/Concrete-Polishing-Pads-Kit-/_i.html?_fsub=2671014013&_sid=279495293
  • PRO
    KIVA STONE DALLAS
    8 anni fa

I have pricing , pros & cons between different countertop material here in my blog at

Granite, Marble, Laminate, Quartz, Soapstone, Limestone: Who is winner in kitchen counter-top materials ?

• Lauriel Axtell-Smedley
    6 anni fa

I absolutely love my silestone quartz kitchen countertop. It does not scratch, stain, or discolor from hot pots, although I would never leave a pot on it for long. It wipes clean very easily and can be used as a cutting board and never needs sealing like granite. There are so many color selections available now, it has become very popular. I recently put granite in a house I was remodeling, on advice of my realtor, and have regretted it since. It just doesn't hold up the same or have the same clean look as quartz.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".