Houzz Logo Print
forrester

I need advice for painting suggestions

Joyce McClain
10 anni fa
We have been in this house for 20 years and would love to put it on the market. The living room and dining room have not been repainted in all this time. I would love anyone's opinion as to what color you would paint these rooms. The ceilings are 10' high. I see the Red Room at the White House and would love to know the color because red can be tricky. I still see red dining rooms and it is a classic, but I am wondering whether I should move away from bold and go with a cream or putty or something less daring, something that may appeal to more people. This room has not be touched and I know it's dated. Most of this furniture will not go to the new house, but I would like to try and work with what I have while it's on the market. Thanks for any ideas!

Commenti (23)

• hatetoshop
    10 anni fa
    It's a lovely room, but for selling, I'd paint it a more neutral colour, remove the settee and valances. Perhaps the valances in the dining room as well. Best of luck with your sale.
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato hatetoshop
  • qam999
    10 anni fa
    I'd get a stager to come in and advise on paint colors and other relatively simple touchups. Cream is usually an easy choice, but you have your custom window treatments to consider and they may not go well with cream. Possibly a mid/neutralish gold wall paint will coordinate with and calm down the window treatments.

Then declutter - it will look great!
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato qam999
  • PRO
    Homelink
    10 anni fa
    I think you're better off with the cream or putty for resale. The neutral colors will help update the space and give it a lighter, more spacious feel. Try to stay with a color that has a warm tone to it. Good luck!
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato Homelink
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    If your home is in a very traditional or historic area, you may want to leave it as it is. Once you start really "updating" these rooms, where does it end?. You could paint the living room a pale yellowy- cream, but then are you willing to repaint the dining room as well. Your home looks like a cover of Traditional Home magazine. that could help or not. Talk to a few good Realtors about it all- while you are interviewing them for the listing.
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato sunnydrew
  • User
    10 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 10 anni fa
    You have a beautiful traditional home with stunning architectural molding and columns but they are upstaged by the other elements. I would paint a neutral pale putty and remove the swags and jabots in the living room. I would remove all of the flowers. Your furniture is appropriate for the rooms but the pink Victorian settee should be replaced with an occasional chair and the desk can be removed to give a more open and spacious feel. Consider removing the dining room drapes or leaving the panels and removing the valance. You have a beautiful house and don't have to do much.
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato User
  • J J
    10 anni fa
    I'm a realtor. May I suggest painting a warm neutral. Although red is great, it may not appeal to everyone.
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato J J
  • Joyce McClain
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    These are all wonderful ideas! I knew the 20 year old swags looked dated, but is it OK to have nothing but blinds? Yes, I must declutter!
  • hatetoshop
    10 anni fa
    I think blinds are fine, for selling. You'll be opening them up to let the light in for showings. Although you could always soften the look with some panels, I don't think lack of window coverings is a deal breaker for buyers.
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato hatetoshop
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 anni fa
    You say you would "love to put it on the market." That's the key here. Sometimes we're not really ready to sell, but want to "see what we could get." Make sure you're ready to fully invest yourselves in the process. If you're just "taking a look" or a realtor has suggested it to you, I'd leave it as is. That way you'll see what the interest level is your style of home is. Don't put yourselves out of joint if this attempt is just exploratory. I think people can see the potential of your home because it is classic. If any one makes an offer but moans about having to change the paint, you can offer to change it out as a deal closer.
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato decoenthusiaste
  • User
    10 anni fa
    I assumed you had already made the decision to move per your comments about the new house. I'm also a realtor and first impressions are very important. I would make the changes before listing rather than waiting for feedback. A small investment upfront for painting will pay off in the long run. You don't want buyers to come in and the first thing they think about is the work or expense they'll have to incur to change it. Plus a fresh paint job will do just that, freshen the home.
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato User
  • Joyce McClain
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Yes, we are seriously wanting to put it on the market. We have 4 acres next door and I am feverishly looking for a good architect. We have to paint anyway and I know it takes more coats to change the color, but it would be a good time to change the color. This is a pic of the outside (if anyone is interested in the Knoxville area:) ).
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 anni fa
    Lovely! How is the market in Knoxville? I still think a couple of coats of paint, more or less, isn't a deal breaker with a home of this quality. It looks to be in "staged" order to me. Only if there are personal photos or mementos, would I make the effort to remove anything. The only drawback is that prospects may view it as a "magazine cover" property, and think that they can't manage to do as nice a job as you have. That's where you throw in the drapes and any decor they love and you can live without in your new home.
  • Joyce McClain
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Decoenthusiaste - Great ideas, thank you. The market here is supposed to be back, but I don't think it as strong as it was 4 or 5 years ago. You make me feel really good calling it a "magazine cover" property! I hope they feel the same way here.
  • raineycarole
    10 anni fa
    Buyers in the South still love traditional, classic homes. I would check with local real estate agents before painting. I think the color would help your house stand out from the rest.
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato raineycarole
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 anni fa
    I think realtor's will hear, "Honey, lets go back and look at that one with the red living and dining room again!"
  • rosecottagehome
    10 anni fa
    The quality of your beautiful stately home is so evident. A traditional beauty it is. I like the putty color suggested for paint in your livingroom and dining room and it would go with your current draperies you have.
    Northampton Putty HC-89 Paint · Maggiori informazioni
    Abingdon Putty Paint · Maggiori informazioni
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato rosecottagehome
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    10 anni fa
    Perhaps a realtor will take you on a few tours of some homes that are in the same area/category as yours (stately, traditional, etc) and have a peek at what everyone else is showing. This will give you a great jumping off point.

You can then choose to work in the same way...but with a few colour twists to allow your home to stand out. You may find the EVERYONE has a red dining room, or conversely NO ONE has a red dining room. Either way, a few tours would do very well for you.

I would take an interior designer with you (or the person helping pull your look together) so that they can take a few "niche" ideas to work in your home.

Personally, I love red...but pink is "out" for me. By lightening the wall colour (I like the N.Hampton Putty) your home will begin to open up. The ceilings will feel higher, the rooms grander. The darker the colour (like the very tasteful red you have on the walls) the more intimate (read: smaller) the home feels.

A putty with a snick of gray on the walls with the trim left white = magnificent, regal, classic, timeless. Don't go too dark. You want everyone to feel the breathing room you have in this home.
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato Cancork Floor Inc.
  • PRO
    Rococo llc
    10 anni fa
    make a discount for the painting, let the future owner to select paint color!
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato Rococo llc
  • grasshopperhome
    10 anni fa
    I would agree with most of the others and paint it a nice neutral.
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato grasshopperhome
  • Jennifer Blanchard
    10 anni fa
    I had strong colours in my last home and repainted to a neutral beige to sell. Every time I watch one of those house shopping shows, there's always someone who goes into a house and says, "I hate this yellow/ green/ red". And I always want to throw something at the TV and tell them they can paint, but when I needed to sell, I didn't want to take the chance if people being turned off by my personal taste in colour.
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato Jennifer Blanchard
  • L Woodell
    10 anni fa
    Sherwin-Williams Blonde. It is a gorgeous gold hue that would look great with all your existing furnishings and window treatments. Several of my friends and I have this color in various rooms in our homes (dining, master, bathrooms a, kitchen) and it looks great everywhere. Will look a little different in each room depending on how the light hits it. Good luck!
    Joyce McClain ha ringraziato L Woodell
  • Joyce McClain
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    These are all great ideas! Thanks so much!! I have been on houzz for about 3 years but this is the first time I dared ask advice and it is wonderful to hear what others think! Thank you ALL so much!
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".