Houzz Logo Print
didderjiddit

Need Suggestions for a Boring Exterior.

didderjiddit
10 anni fa
My house looks so plain, I'm not sure what to do to change it. Maybe porch railings or trim colors. I want to decorate for Christmas too. It has potential but I just need help. If you can offer suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks

Commenti (47)

• didderjiddit
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    The green and white stripe awnings can go or stay, it doesn't matter. They are pulled up for the winter, then extend fully in the Spring.
  • halfpint2
    10 anni fa
    Have you considered shutters on some of the windows? I'm not crazy about the awnings, I'd replace them with plain white ones. That could wait until spring.
    Your house is beautiful, with a porch like that, you need a couple of chairs and a small table under the large window.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato halfpint2
  • Claudianne Young
    10 anni fa
    More lush landscaping around foundation and yard. Birdbath with surrounding plants. Old fashioned hydrangeas, lilacs etc. vines for fence, clematis, climbing hydrangea, morning glory etc. hand rails on either side of stoop. Get rid of small cluttery pots. Use large ones. Old fashioned rocking chairs or swing. Don't like the look of the closed appearance of window treatments. Need something more charming such as gathered balloon curtains. Get or make colored glass look for transom part of windows. Paint the front door a color to complement pots and furniture. Prettier mailbox.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato Claudianne Young
  • didderjiddit
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    In summer I usually have 2 teak chairs and a round table under the larger window but they are put away for the winter.
  • User
    10 anni fa
    Is it my screen or is your porch sagging at the middle column.
  • solincia
    10 anni fa
    Railings and corbels:
    01 - Italianate Front Exterior · Maggiori informazioni
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato solincia
  • solincia
    10 anni fa
    Another example:
    Washington Park · Maggiori informazioni
  • solincia
    10 anni fa
    For color, all white Victorians drive me nuts. See how color accents the details:
    SanFranVic · Maggiori informazioni
  • mainstreetschool
    10 anni fa
    Need some contrast. Either paint walls (see previous pic) or find trim colors you like. Add railing and corbels that match the period of the building. Sherwin Williams has color combos put together in their promo flyers. Find a color combo you like. Lush landscaping, railings, and maybe change to a picket fence.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato mainstreetschool
  • mainstreetschool
    10 anni fa
    I was referring to the second post from Solincia
  • Marci
    10 anni fa
    How much do you want to change? What's your budget? Is painting the house a possibility? Perhaps the trim should be a contrasting color.

The chain link fence looks somewhat old and tired. Do you have to have a fence? If yes, a wrought iron one may look nice with your style of house.

You have a large porch, but all the little pots strewn about it make it look forlorn and lonely. Two or three larger planters would be more appropriate. That's something you could even do this weekend--you could put some seasonal greenery (pine boughs, red dogwood branches, winterberries) in them for some instant style.

Claudiann had good suggestions for plantings. You can get some really beautiful hydrangeas these days. Whatever you get, they should be bigger and bushier than those little tiny bushes that are currently in front of the house. Trellises on the sides where you can train morning glories or trumpeter vines.

Here are some exteriors for Victorians and Queen Anne's that may be inspiring! (Love the hydrangea in the last one.)

McCloud Residence · Maggiori informazioni

Frenchflair · Maggiori informazioni

frenchflair · Maggiori informazioni

Ridge Farm · Maggiori informazioni

Romantic Tarrytown Terrace · Maggiori informazioni
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato Marci
  • rpolli
    10 anni fa
    Solincia your first photo is the perfect inspiration! I would paint the house and add the railings Perhaps, repost in spring after your landscaping has bloomed to get some landscape suggestions.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato rpolli
  • didderjiddit
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Thank you to everyone for your comments and photos. They have helped me to get started and to visualize the house as more appealing. First i will get rid of the pots and put some larger planters and window boxes on the first level. I would like to paint the siding a darker color but I have heard that can cause the siding to sag so I will work with the color I have, light yellow or cream color. I will paint the sashes a very dark color, not sure what yet but almost black. Then I will paint the trim a dark tan color. The columns will be white and I can add railings in white. I want to keep the awnings but change them to black. The shrubs in the front are small because they are new and I didn't want to pay for full size. The tree like plant in the front is a hydrangea but it was cut back to reshape it. The plantings will just take a season or two to add more. These are the thing s I will change first, more to follow.
  • solincia
    10 anni fa
    I forgot to mention I love your house! You mentioned the siding, is it vinyl or wood? If it's vinyl, out of curiosity, is it wood siding underneath?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 anni fa
    CLF is the one item that lowers property values greatly. Replace it with a picket fence.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato decoenthusiaste
  • solincia
    10 anni fa
    Also, I don't know if you watch the show "Rehab Addict" on DIY, but that might be a show to watch for ideas. She restores old homes like yours to their former glory--keeping and adding back the period details. She just showed where she removed the chain link fence but kept the posts, and attached wood to the front of the metal posts and strung a wood fence off of it. I'm sure there are details in their website. Just a thought!
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    I would research in your area to see what the house may have looked like earlier. Don't remove your awnings until you know what your plan really is. I know how expensive and useful they can be. maybe you can come up with a color scheme to incorporate the awnings as an accent color. I think the main thing is that you need to paint your house any color with white trim.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato sunnydrew
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    FYI- Paint does not make your wood siding sag. use a good paint to protect the wood and do good prep work to ensure that water does not penetrate later.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato sunnydrew
  • solincia
    10 anni fa
    Oh, and for Christmas--wreaths! If you have an Old Time Pottery store nearby they have a great deal in wreaths right now. Hang a wreath with a bow on the bottom, strung by a thick ribbon, from the top of your windows (drop the top window down to put your wreath out the window, close on the ribbon and secure with a tack on the inside) and put led candles (that have auto-timers) in the windows. I just did this--$4 wreath, $5 bow,$5 candle,$10 for a spool of ribbon. Reuse every year!
  • rpolli
    10 anni fa
    In our historic district, many homes use a porch valance that coordinate with the awnings. I think it adds a nice touch. One home has lighter painted siding similar to yours and they pulled colors from the valance and awnings to paint inside the trim details. It was so tastefully done. Wish I had some pics, but it"s cold here now and awning and valance have probably been taken down. I will see what pics I can find.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato rpolli
  • PRO
    Synlawn of Kansas City
    10 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 10 anni fa
    Artificial grass would be a great addition to the front of your home the vibrant green colors will emphasize the beauty of your house.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato Synlawn of Kansas City
  • PRO
    Wooden Window
    10 anni fa
    Paint is an easy and fun way to create visual interest for your home. Play with different color combination to bring out the detail of the architecture. Also, a new door would be a great way to bring character to the opening of the home. I also like the idea of changing out the chain link fence for a wood one, when you can afford it. Shutters can come later if desired and of course varied landscaping, starting from the porch back, will set the whole house into a welcoming vignette.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato Wooden Window
  • DeHaven
    10 anni fa
    Your house is charming, and could be warm and welcoming instead of cold with a bit of effort, which obviously you are willing to do. Most of my thoughts have been discussed brilliantly by others, so let me just reiterate some points. The fence must go! Sorry, but it is institutional and looks more like a prison then a home. A new one, or complete removal, would immediately transform everything else. I love the tip given by Solincia about the TV show idea. The landscaping really is weak. We all understand financial restrictions, but sometimes one large piece is more impressive than lots of little ones. I love the old fashioned suggestions made by others. Also consider something tall on either side of the porch. Doesn't look like there is a lot of room so maybe cypress trees. Some substancial plantings would not only warm up your yard and the overall effect of welcome, but will also give the impression of a more solid foundation to the house. I hope you have fun recreating your dream home where the outside truly expresses who you are.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato DeHaven
  • smartin1
    10 anni fa
    Such a pretty, pretty house! One of the cutest homes I ever saw was a historic bungalow that was painted in a similar color scheme. To get that look, remove the awnings, add shutters to the windows painted in a pretty stone color, paint the door a darker value of the shutter color, then replace your horizontal mailbox with a vertical one in bright red. Red flower boxes would add another splash.
    Everyone loved "that house with the red mailbox" because it had such a crisp look.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato smartin1
  • smartin1
    10 anni fa
    If you want to leave the awnings, do the same thing, but paint the vertical mailbox that same turquoise and add two shutters on the bottom window.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato smartin1
  • PRO
    HomeStory Doors of Orange County
    10 anni fa
    A new door and some beautiful new landscaping could make a big difference. I thought the railing ideas were very nice also and would definitely fit the style of your home.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato HomeStory Doors of Orange County
  • Belinda Jo
    10 anni fa
    We had a home exactly like this. I believe it is a Harris Home. Google that if you are into history. Ours was painted a sunny yellow with white trim. We added a red door after moving in. It had the large front porch (white vinyl) with straight spindles. We also had a gorgeous Magnolia tree that blossomed into a showy front yard in the spring. This was in Nebraska so they can grow there. Not sure of the variety but it had to be at least 30 years old and blossomed large purple blossoms. We also had a scalloped white picket fence around the sides and back of the property but open in the front. I planted yellow lilies all around it. I always wanted to finish the picket fence and put a arbor and gate at the front sidewalk entrance. I had a white wicker set on the patio. It was beautiful and I miss it immensely! Go in stages and you won't feel the pinch as much. We also installed a pergola and outdoor fireplace in the backyard. Good luck!!
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato Belinda Jo
  • didderjiddit
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Belinda Jo - I googled Harris home but nothing came up about that architectural style.
  • didderjiddit
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    sunnydrew - siding is vinyl and I read that if you paint vinyl a dark color it can cause it to heat up and sag when it's sunny.
  • didderjiddit
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    solincia - Thank you. The siding is vinyl, not sure what's underneath. I'm not ready to change that. Thanks for the rehab show tip. I was wondering if i could keep the posts and attach a different fence so I will definitively check it out.
  • didderjiddit
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    rpolli - if you could get a pic I would love to see it.
  • didderjiddit
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    smartin1 - Thanks. I love the pics vertical mailbox idea.
  • didderjiddit
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    I painted the front door turquoise with bronze antiquing. You can't see it behind the white storm door. Do you think I should I paint the storm door the same color? Thanks.
  • mcbriec
    10 anni fa
    Front door looks spectacular! What is the paint color?
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato mcbriec
  • PRO
    Compass Calabasas
    10 anni fa
    I'd definitely opt for some lush greenery... will add warmth and give you a canvas for any kind of holiday decorating. You might also want to add a couple of cozy chairs or benches for the porch, plus a side table. Will again make the home lived in. Porch is a huge draw, make it look as if it is used daily!
  • PRO
    Casa Bonita California
    10 anni fa
    How about some pottery for any easy fix? Some Terra Cotta ceramic pots and planters might just do the trick to liven up that boring exterior! Our company, ' Casa Bonita (www.casabonitala.com) sells many pieces that could work for you. We are actually having a big holiday sale now until Dec 31st- 65% off all inventory, so the pieces really won't be too pricey- hopefully in your price range. We ship from Los Angeles, where we are based at the moment. Here are some ides that could work for you:
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato Casa Bonita California
  • PRO
    Emerson Brothers Construction
    10 anni fa
    How about adding shutters and hand railings. Even just adding some potted plants right by door would add some color for a quick/cheap fix while you are deciding.
  • PRO
    Renaissance GSB
    10 anni fa
    didderjiddit,
    Here are some great Christmas decorating ideas-
    http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/20994001
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato Renaissance GSB
  • PRO
    The Plantation Shutter Company
    10 anni fa
    Shutters! WIll make all the difference! Please take a look at our projects and ideabooks and let us know if we can give you a free consultation and estimate.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato The Plantation Shutter Company
  • leelee
    10 anni fa
    Everything is so white. I've always gone with the idea that an exterior needs 3 colors. White for the outside, a color for the trim--maybe just around windows and another color for the door. There are some great examples in pics above. Very simple concept.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato leelee
  • didderjiddit
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Door color is Aruba Blue and bronze glaze from Ace Hardware.
  • mom4herkiddos
    10 anni fa
    Remove chain link fence in front of house.
    didderjiddit ha ringraziato mom4herkiddos
  • rpolli
    10 anni fa
    I am so sorry I never got that pic for you. Family illness and holidays kept me away. I am currently homebound as a caregiver, but if I get a chance to get out I will definitely snap a pic for you. I love the door : )
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    I was re-reading this dilemma and wanted to add that if your siding is vinyl it is not intended to be painted at all. I am not sure if that was your intention or my misunderstanding.
  • Betsabe Garcia
    10 anni fa
    You need some color. Maybe paint the house with a nice color and leave the trim white. Accent the front door. It looks pretty how it is minus those thing on windows. You also need some landscaping and I would replace the fence. It takes away from the Victorian look.
  • PRO
    Emerson Brothers Construction
    10 anni fa
    You need pops of colors in the form of a painted door, shutter, potted plants, mailbox, and perhaps a new fence, you may also want to consider some exterior moldings, keystones, and cornices to add detail and interest.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".