Houzz Logo Print
ana_alegrett

Decision making: Black or White Bookcase?

Ana Alegrett
2 anni fa
Ultima modifica:2 anni fa

Hi!

So I know it's a collage, but I already own most of the furniture pieces in real life. As seen, my dining chairs are the wishbone in black and natural finish, and I have some decorative accents in black too. Right now I'm just trying to choose which bookcase looks better in the space and why: Black or White? I'm struggling so much with this decision... Let me know!!!

Thanks

Commenti (16)

• Jilly
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

Either would work fine, but personally I like the black one best. It has more of an interesting presence and balance with all of the white pieces in the living area.

That said, it’s hard to be sure without seeing the actual rooms — how thing are arranged, lighting, room dimensions, wall color, flooring, ceiling height, etc.

The main question: do you want it to be more of a focal point? If so, black. Do you want it to recede a bit? White. (Again, depending on wall color.)

Maybe wait until everything else is in place before deciding?

• anitamo
    2 anni fa

I think the black joins everything together, at least in your pictures against a white background. It may change depending upon the wall color you choose.

• User
    2 anni fa

Black, you have enoigh white already. also , presumably the books or decoratove items on its shelves will not be black and will lighten it up if youre concerned that it is too dark.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 anni fa

IMO it depends on what you are planning to put on the book shelf IMO often these are just a collector of stuff to create eye clutter so a good plan of what you want to display comes first.You mention pieces in black so maybe show those.

• HU-187528210
    2 anni fa

i like the black too :)

• Maureen
    2 anni fa

Black and suggest if you have the space, to consider a wider version. It will feel more substantial and impactful by the additional accessories, increased textures and variations and being able to create more of a layered look. See difference below.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 anni fa

Black, but not the ladder style you show. You need more of an etagere, as shown by Maurene. If it is really for books, then the more substantial the better. It should at least have a back brace so books won't fall off.

62"H Home Office Etagere Bookcase with 4 Tier Open Storage Shelves - Black · Maggiori informazioni

Convenience Concepts Omega 5 Tier Bookcase, Black, Black · Maggiori informazioni

Ana Alegrett ha ringraziato decoenthusiaste
  • lyfia
    2 anni fa

My choice would be white which is purely based on practical matters. I would appreciate not seeing the dust that will show up again on the shelves an hour after dusting. On the white it will still be there, but you won't see it the same way.

• gsciencechick
    2 anni fa

I like white bookcases better so that is my answer! Good point on the dust, too. If you can get something a little bigger or put two together that might look better for your space.

• Ana Alegrett
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Thank you for your feedback! Based on your responses I decided to go with the black one, it has also always been my first choice. I didn't go for an etagere because I like the look of a ladder bookshelf for a living room. It's a 25" W so I think it's perfect for the apartment. FYI: my walls are white! :) Will show you all results when the space is finished.

Thanks again!

• Lars
    2 anni fa

I like the black one better too, and I have one just like the one you showed.

The ladder style bookcases are much better during earthquakes. My ladder style bookcase never fell over, but other tall pieces of furniture did.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 anni fa

If i lived in a quake zone, all my wall-placed casegoods would be screwed in!

• Lars
    2 anni fa

Ours are connected to the wall with earthquake straps now, but in 1994, they were not. I was not as prepared then as I thought I was. We also have items held in place with earthquake putty, so they will not fall off of shelves.

• PRO
    Darci Hether New York
    2 anni fa

It seems like the black bookcase brings everything together more.

• PRO
    GJ Gardner Homes Denver
    2 anni fa

Black! It helps to pull in the rest of the black pieces since it seems like the white is more dominant.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".