Houzz Logo Print
delucaaj

I hate my new island top. how can I improve this?

A D
4 anni fa

I definitely want a butcher block island countertop. Our gutted and remodeled kitchen is almost complete and the butcher block countertop selected by my contractor was just put in...and I hate it! Every other piece along the way took my breath away but this just bombs for me.

How can I make this better?

Commenti (94)

• lindahambleton
    4 anni fa

I would change it to the perimeter. To my eye it would be more restful.

• chicagoans
    4 anni fa

I think it's gorgeous! I hope you live with it a while before you make any changes.

• shead
    4 anni fa

It's lovely and keeps the room from looking too sterile. Some wood accents on the perimeter (cutting boards, bowls, etc.) would definitely help pull it all together. In hindsight, maybe a counter a little more rustic and stained slightly darker would've been better but give this one time to earn its own patina :) You can always have it stained darker in the future.

• Helen
    4 anni fa

Objectively the wood counter is quite beautiful.

However, I don't like it in terms of complementing the other design choices. It just seems to be an element that is completely divorced from the other design choices - particularly the floor and the counter as those three very strong design elements seem to fight for attention.

However, I am pretty pragmatic and having finished a gut remodel relatively recently, I realize there are always going to be design elements which didn't work as well as they might have and so might have made different design choices. However, over the course of time the initial "shock" wears off and it becomes fine - especially as other design elements are brought in. I just think of it as part of the normal process for people who aren't design professionals or otherwise lack the kind of acute visual imagination that enables one to be able to know how things work together in terms of specific spaces.

I am having a rug done custom for me as I couldn't find one that I liked. Yesterday I accompanied my designer to the rug place where we looked at tufts and discussed fields and borders etc. At a certain point I just gave up and continued joking that I had no idea why I was there since I was going to defer to the experts anyway :-). I know that when the rug is down on the floor I will completely second guess it - hate it - and then accept it as being fine :-).

FWIW, if you continue to hate it, it's not the end of the world to change the counter since it is a relatively simple change - no pesky plumbing or other elements to have to deal with as it's just a plain countertop.

• megs1030
    4 anni fa

I love the top! Could it be that you are not loving it because your kitchen is not quite complete yet? No backsplash, no decor items... I would wait to make a final decision once you have tile installed. Or put a bowl of fruit on the island, bring some color in. I do think it's gorgeous!

• zaccaii
    4 anni fa

Looks awesome! what is the size of the island?

• Utente-326560860
    4 anni fa

Stunning! Read all these comments, take a breath, and search other photos. I have a feeling your going to love it!

• Rachel Lee
    4 anni fa

Do you have pics of what you wanted? It might help figure out if this one is fixable or if it needs replacing.

• PRO
    Trendoffice Interior Design Consulting
    4 anni fa

May be if you can make the top's corners rounded this will make it look more elegant, especially the protruding end above the chair? It will look softer and will be more comfortable for use.

• bkeith
    4 anni fa

Can I have it? 😁😉

• Pete Global
    4 anni fa

I understand and respect that you don't like it ...even though everyone points out there is really nothing wrong with it ...and even love it ...which is not that helpful if you hate it .
    You did not say why you hate it ???
    Anyhow I don't like it either in YOUR kitchen . Although it's beautiful ... I think it looks terrible with the flooring and makes the kitchen look dull . So I would first and foremost change the lighting ...the lights you have are very heavy ..you need better and brighter lights even track lights would be an improvements ...or a large chandelier , then add a large bowl of white flowers and the rest needs a little decorating ...as others have said .... AND after all these minor changes , if you still don't like it , sell it ( you have some offers here ) and get what you like better ...good luck !

• PRO
    Under Charge
    4 anni fa

The most incredible thing is no=one, or few are paying attention to what this person wants. The request was for a butcher Block. 3-4" laminated maple. Chunky and Durable. Get what you want. It's worth it!

• PRO
    Shea Studio Interiors, Inc
    4 anni fa

what do you hate about it?

• midimach
    4 anni fa

it is gorgeous, I wouldn't change a thing! luv it!!!!

• midimach
    4 anni fa

I see it now, u want it THIcker! yes i agree! just have him change it out

• PRO
    Under Charge
    4 anni fa

I replied to what they want, not to what I feel or think. When a client asks for a pink caddilac for a droll monotone driveway neiborhood, they do not want a grey or black car.
    They asked for butcher block. Talk to a butcher about butcher blocks or to a scratch baker about butcher blocks. This counter too looks like the Lowes 1 3/4" or 2 1/4" thick foreign wood butcher block.Perhaps it isn't, but it is less than 1/2 the true thickness of a butcher block.
    Perhaps for a fashion magazine this kitchen would make a great esthetic picture, but from the home owners perspective, they won't have a real butcher block and for the life of that great renovation, they will regret it.
    Usually in the first few sentences you can see and hear what a client wants.
    what I read was: kitchen reno/wanted butcher block/ got this/ hate it. Means the customer wants a butcher block they may have dreamed of their whole lives. Source it for them and ask them if they want it. Simple. We serve our clients, not the other way around.
    Cheers on the kitchen!

• felizlady
    4 anni fa

The butcher block looks like oak and it picks up the slight bits of wood color in your flooring tiles. It’s gorgeous! The touch of real wood is wonderful. To keep your butcherblock looking rich, use a little edible mineral oil and a soft cloth once every few weeks to make it more water-resistant and highlight the color.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

Butcher block suits nothing about that kitchen( in its natural state. )

Not even the point , really.!

Anyone who verbally describes what they " want" to whomever shall be creating it? Sample and approval are a pre requisite for a happy ending!

Or ..... It goes like above.

Which looks great. A nice WOOD stained island!

• PRO
    SAJE Properties
    4 anni fa

I think the butcher block is nice. For me, what doesnt quite work is the granite. If you love that, I would suggest going very dark with the wood, like a dark espresso for more contrast. Then add some colorful accessories and greenery.

• PRO
    SAJE Properties
    4 anni fa

I like the natural wood island. what doesnt work for me is the granite. If you love your granite, maybe going for more of a contrast on the island would be more pleasing to you. How about a deep, rich espresso? Also, some greenery would make things come to life.

• herbflavor
    4 anni fa

Have you thought of changing the pendants? Something larger and a warmer metal or just glass would play well w the island . Probably the pendants are new but it's something that can easily be changed and if the island bothered me ( it doesn't) a different set of pendants would be an option.

• ker9
    4 anni fa

What I see is a mostly gray and white kitchen with this oddball honey colored wood counter. Yes butcher block is nice but on my screen it just doesn’t go with the gray.

• mamadada
    4 anni fa

It is gorgeous. You need to turn on the undercounter lights for the kitchen to come alive. You need the wood to warm all of the grey and white. Went to a kitchen tour last year and all 6 houses had wood topped islands. Why oh why don’t I? It’s beautiful just turn on the lights under the counter please.

• s siamrd
    4 anni fa

I love it; it is the tile i would change ( at first glance)

• skunst2017
    4 anni fa

Maybe late to a small party , but I agree with homeowner ...it's a nice butcher block ..but , I don't love it either in their kitchen . Try decorating it ..try different lights ...try things out , live with it for a while ...then decide ...it's only a butcher block ...you can always sell it , change it ..or simply live with it. Would love to know what you have decided or changed thus far .

• dcarendt
    4 anni fa

My $.02 from a woodworker's prospective - all the counter edges are the same throughout the kitchen - I would router the edge of the wood top to distinguish it from the other counters making it the star of the room.

• ktgt1971
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

Restain to bring out a color in your flooring. You can also put an ogee edge detail on it to dress it up. Another option is to paint island cabinet a different color.

• Stephanie Anderson
    4 anni fa

Perhaps a darker gray paint under the cabinets would help by bringing a contrast into the room.

• Olychick
    4 anni fa

I think it's by far the prettiest element in your kitchen. I hope you learn to love it or, if not, are able to get something you like better.

• annejamison
    4 anni fa

Thinking you could re-stain to flow with flooring and granite...

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 anni fa

Folks! Read the thread. .................... she posted her own solution of adding wood, and LIVING with it a while,. She hasn't been back since. : )

• meljane
    4 anni fa

I see what you mean, delucaaj. I would change it. For me, personally, it should be paler wood, more “chunky”, thicker. Look around for different island tops that would resemble a true butcher block.

• Kirsten E.
    4 anni fa

@janmoyer - The dialogue might still be helpful for other/future users facing a similar dilemma. It’s the internet; the thread doesn’t have to live and die with the OP. You always have the option to unsubscribe.

• LilliCraig
    4 anni fa

I realize I’m a little late here. If you are a serious cook purchase 3 large, square and gorgeous Boos boards and place them on the work side of the island. You could stain this counter to match or have a contrast. You eye would see chunky and gorgeous.

• Helen
    4 anni fa

Not to hijack but when I was in the process of remodeling, I spent HOURS reading threads on this forum. Many of the threads were technically long dead but there many of them contained valuable information, insight etc. and I was happy that they still existed.

When you do a search for a subject matter, the dates don't hit you in the face so it's pretty easy to add a response and then once there is one response, it resurfaces as a current thread.

Not sure why anyone cares whether a thread is dead - whoever posts might have wasted a bit of time and effort responding.

Theoretically threads like this which go to "taste" and aesthetic choices aren't as timely as some other dilemmas. However, it could still prove valuable to someone to see how a wood counter interacts with other design elements. Or how to avoid making certain aesthetic choices that one is less than happy with when viewed in the actual kitchen. Or how to make elements more complementary by adding other touches.

• felizlady
    4 anni fa

All your kitchen needs now is some colorful cookware, apron, hand towels, canisters and potholders. I also recommend hanging some food-related art if you have a bare wall area. Color will give the kitchen a lift.

• Anna Vicklund
    4 anni fa

What is the floor? I love it!

• pmfoster4
    4 anni fa

Perhaps adding some wood elements on your counters would help. A wooden bowl & cutting board, maybe. Some pretty greenery would cozy it up also. It’s really very pretty!

• K H
    4 anni fa

Regardless, this is something I need in my kitchen! Where did you get the beautiful island top so I can order one for my kitchen?

• jmurrell3
    4 anni fa

Your kitchen looks beautiful! What is the range hood front made of? if wood, you could probably attach thin strips of wood or butcher block to cover the main front panel with side pieces to help to complement the wood tones of your butcher block island. I have butcher block in my kitchen in 2 areas and really love the look. I always get lots of compliments from my guests. Good luck!

• Linda Pecho
    4 anni fa

It’s really a nice focal point.
    It’s rich looking and very practical. I think you will learn to love it.

• PRO
    Renovation Spaces & Heitz Custom Homes
    4 anni fa

Interesting comments.. dark stain.. even tho no one will read!!

• Tari Stork
    4 anni fa

Replace it. It doesn’t work for a variety of reasons. If it were my kitchen I’d replace it with dark (charcoal or black) soapstone which will provide the contrast you need, but will work beautifully with your cabinet hardware and the refined finishes in the rest of the kitchen. I’d probably also replace the pendants, too. They seem too small and don’t make any kind of a statement.

• PRO
    B Design Install LLC
    4 anni fa

I also love the butcher block!! I think it will grow on you. It adds warmth. I think the pendants throw me off a bit but what a beautiful kitchen !! Add more wood / a plant or two and you may change your mind

• julieboulangerie
    4 anni fa

I really like it. I feel like the lighting is really harsh in the photos. I might try to change the temperature of some of the light bulbs.

• divachar
    4 anni fa

Let’s start with what is it that you don’t like about it? Is it because it’s wood? The color? Is it the feeling of the room that is off? Identify what exactly it is you don’t like and then we can move forward on resolving... also, ask yourself; why did I originally choose this.

• Lidia
    4 anni fa

@renovation spaces...dark stain would look STUNNING, especially if it were on the grey side instead of reddish side.

• sconway11324
    4 anni fa

The wood is not the problem. You need to add color to the cabinets below it to make it pop

• Utente-720862257
    3 anni fa

I would sand it and have a lighter stain on it. It looks too reddish in the photo. Good luck with it.

• Mrs. S
    3 anni fa

Well, that was, like, a year ago, 57

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".