Houzz Logo Print
shauna_gallenberg

Corner cabinet with shelving in dining room ideas

Hello! I wanted some advice in regards to decorating the corner cabinet shelving in our dining room. I love the charm and warmth of the oak and so that will be staying ( the rest of our home also has oak trim , cabinets and doors as well) The walls and fireplace will be updated to simply white by Benjamin Moore and there will be a chandelier installed as well as updates to the dining room table itself (my husband is going to build the top so there is a temporary top and table cloth in its place.)
I was thinking a long the lines of stacking firewood on the shelving (as shown and I would buy more to actually fill the shelves ) however , I’m unsure if that looks... odd? My taste is more industrial and rustic if that helps any. I’m not a fan of a bunch of plants or nicknacks as I like a more cohesive look. Perhaps old books? Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated !

Commenti (25)

• NancyD
    4 anni fa

I agree with Gary Finley that you should consider removing the whole corner cabinet. You did ask if it looks odd to have wood logs stored there, and I think it does. If you totally removed the corner unit, how about finding something practical for the wood which would balance the grandfather clock on the other side of the fireplace?

• calidesign
    4 anni fa

The firewood doesn't belong there. Think of what you can put on the shelving that serves a function for the dining space. Maybe a wine rack on the bottom with wine glasses above, or large decorative serving pieces like a serving tray or soup tureen, or set it up as a bar area. If you want to keep the bottom cabinet for storage, you might consider removing the entire top portion. The shelving size is hard to work with, and that would give you flat walls for artwork instead.

• shirlpp
    4 anni fa

Your husband sounds like he is handy so taking out that corner cabinet should be a breeze. Yes, it is fighting with your fireplace.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 anni fa

I cannot advise you on what to place on the shelves, but I'd suggest you paint the wall a dark gray.

• njmomma
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

Not a Pro.

Take it down, if that cannot be done add white: large bowls, carafe, jars.... anything white that can be used in a dining room.

Some inspiration:

• felizlady
    4 anni fa

I would have new doors made for the cabinet, including the upper section, and have the cabinet maker install the. An emphatic “NO” to wood in the cabinet shelving. It would be worse than “odd”. The upper shelves can hold your serving pieces.

• PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    4 anni fa

Study the corned cabinet..............................Do you like it?

If you like it and it is to stay, is there really any need to worry about the rest of the room?

Your fireplace is lovely and the floor and the window/door is great

There is no reason for the cabinet, it takes attention away from the fireplace, the wood running to the ceiling is so bad. Spend what money there is to spend on correcting the poor design elements.

I'm resting on those thoughts.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

I have to agree, it looks rather homemade (not always a bad thing) and is detracting from the fireplace. I would have to remove it and put in regular drywall. Hoping that the flooring extends under it and can be salvaged. You certainly have enough oak in the house without saving this corner piece. You could move the clock and have hubs make a matching pair of sideboards to flank the FP.

• Shauna Gallenberg
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Thank you all for your thoughts ... I talked with my husband and we decided on will taking out the corner cabinet and putting in drywall ! I love the idea of moving the clock to the other side and putting in a free standing rack for firewood or hanging some artwork where the clock is now :)

• shirlpp
    4 anni fa

Thank Goodness! When is he going to do this so we can see it:):):)

• Shauna Gallenberg
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Hopefully this week! Haha I’ll definitely post updated pics :)

• jbtanyderi
    4 anni fa

The corner would look better with moulding and thicker shelves (even if it’s only the front edge. Hang full drapes from the ceiling, and angle the clock into the corner.

• Shauna Gallenberg
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Demo complete ... unfortunately there isn’t any hardwood installed underneath where the cabinet was ... thoughts on building a small , wood platform for the clock and keeping the clock on an angle? Wood rack or art on the other side

• suezbell
    4 anni fa

Would this work: Fill in the hole until the empty space is the same level as the rest of the room and then set one of the shelves from the cabinet atop that as the new raised floor for that corner.

• shirlpp
    4 anni fa

OMG! Your husband is amazing!

• calidesign
    4 anni fa

Much better! I would try to find a closet floor or somewhere else you can find the wood to remove and put into the corner. If you can't match the hardwood, I would have a wood piece added and stained to match your floors on the same level. Even if it isn't an exact match, the clock in the corner makes it seem more intentional, and it won't be as noticeable as something raised up.

• Shauna Gallenberg
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Interesting thoughts ... my husband feels that if we put a solid piece of wood the same level as the floor, it’ll just look like a patch whereas building a platform and continuing the the baseboard molding / quarter round in front will make look like an intentional built in platform for the clock.... if that makes any sense ? We have extra hardwood, he just feels it’ll be a pain to patch in because all of it is cut on an angle

• ptreckel
    4 anni fa

The room looks wonderful without the corner cabinet! I suggest that you move the clock back to its original position....and then mask the corner by placing a nice, comfortable chair in that corner facing out into the room with a tall reading lamp in the corner behind it. In other words....mask the problem with a solution: a chair for reading. That way, you can put off making a decision about the floor! In the words of Scarlett O’Hara.... “Tomorrow is another day!”

• calidesign
    4 anni fa

Since you have the extra wood, I would have a flooring pro add it to the corner. They can cut the current pieces with straight edges instead of the angle, and blend it in. That's the best way for long term, but I understand the temptation to dyi with some sort of patch. It depends on how you will feel with the space afterward.

• Shauna Gallenberg
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I convinced my husband to just put the hardwood flooring in, as much of a pain as it will be ... agreed it’s the best decision for the long run
  • katinparadise
    4 anni fa

following

• latifolia
    4 anni fa

You will not regret either decision. Your room looks so much better. Was your home a self-build? Sometimes people get ideas that don’t stand the test of time. You fixed it.

• ram123
    4 anni fa

So much better, good choice on patching the floor. It will be worth it. Loved the idea of hiding it with a chair though. So many ideas here!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 anni fa

If you're not confident to DIY, have a pro feather in new flooring and stain to match the old floor. Quite an improvement. Now let's tackle that ceiling fixture and use a mirror above the mantel to double the effect. The put a matched pair of cabinets, chests or credenas with art above flanking the FP.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".