Houzz Logo Print
webuser_836405633

Mixing marble with other types of stone?

Bruce Jones
5 anni fa

We are building a new bathroom and have selected marble tile for the floor and shower walls and floor. Some people have told us we should stick with marble for the vanity top, shower saddle and other surfaces because mixing types of stone does not look good. What is the general consensus on this?

Commenti (9)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 anni fa

I know you didn't ask, but marble in a shower is not a great choice. It's difficult to clean and does not wear well.

I'd use the marble on the vanity tops and use porcelain or ceramic tile in the shower to coordinate.

Bruce Jones ha ringraziato Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 anni fa

First, are you fully aware of the many issues with using marble in bathrooms? Marble is porous and soft meaning it scratches and stains easily. A dyed shampoo could easily stain those shower tiles. Typically using a marble look porcelain looks just as good without the worry.

Second, to answer the question it really depends on the type of stone. Another marble look like a quartz in a marble pattern probably would't work well. Nor would a speckled granite since it's such a different style. But a grey quartz would work fine. But if everything else is marble and you know the risks I'd say just stick with it.

Bruce Jones ha ringraziato Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • Buford_NE_GA_7A
    5 anni fa

Marble look porcelain is amazing, and much less expensive.

Bruce Jones ha ringraziato Buford_NE_GA_7A
  • acm
    5 anni fa

I don't see the problem. be sure you look at the materials next to one another, but as long as they seem complementary, you should be fine. solid (e.g., quartz) counters are often nice with marble.

Bruce Jones ha ringraziato acm
  • Mrs Pete
    5 anni fa

Marble look porcelain is amazing, and much less expensive.

Agree ... if you're going for the marble look, save money and get a stronger, easier-to-care-for product.

Bruce Jones ha ringraziato Mrs Pete
  • PRO
    DESIGNWORTHY
    5 anni fa

Love love LOVE marble - it is one of the most beautiful natural stones! I agree with the other comments - it can be tricky to maintain. If you don't mind the upkeep and wear that arises after use, go for it! It is your home and definitely can be done as long as you know what you are getting into :) However, if you want a similar look but lower maintenance/cost, I would look into porcelain "marble" and engineered surfaces like quartz, which are very durable.

Back to your question though - you can absolutely mix stone types in a space. It is always nice to add contrast. I would just be sure to incorporate a stone that relates to the marble you have already chosen (I.E. pick out the darkest part of your marble and find a second solid stone in that color/tone, or pick something related to the SCALE or TYPE of pattern in your original selection). Good luck! :)

Bruce Jones ha ringraziato DESIGNWORTHY
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 anni fa

you can mix. all depends on what your choices are. I have a marble bathroom floor and used Super White for my countertop. I also have black/white cement tiles on a wall. All the choices are marble, black and white, and grays.

you could use a quartz in black/white or gray. you could use a solid black granite, or a white/gray quartzite. you could use a colored quartz. It just depends on the look you want.

Bruce Jones ha ringraziato Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    5 anni fa

That's a big YES, of course you can mix materials. Check many quartz marble looking options like Calacatta Nuvo from Caesarstone. As long as you mix and match patterns and veining to your liking, you cannot go wrong.

Bruce Jones ha ringraziato Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".