Houzz Logo Print
housewife1950s

Hide my TV for me! (Play a kind of TV Where's Waldo perhaps...)

housewife1950s
10 anni fa
Help please!
I am building a house and have attached the ground floor plan.
I'd love advice about how to conceal the TV in the 'Salle Familialle' (or family room if you speak English!)

The style of the house is colonial and very traditional. The fireplace is centrally placed on the wall.

I'd love the focus of the room to be on the fireplace.
I don't like TVs above fireplaces (so suggesting there would be wasted!)so would prefer it off to one side, probably on the side of the fireplace closer to the windows.
I'd love a style of cabinet/shelvingvthat could be symmetrical or at least harmonious both sides of the fireplace.
The mantlepiece for the fire will be very traditional - bleached out brick around the hearth and simple wooden surround.

I've had a look on the website for this, but have found many ways of concealing the tv but mainly by putting it above the fireplace, and I don't want to do that.

Help!
Thanks so much for any advice. Plan of the 'salle familialle' attached.

Commenti (13)

• User
    10 anni fa
    No picture. Use JPEG
  • User
    10 anni fa
    Search the houzz ideabooks for "tv" - lots of articles with ideas.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 10 anni fa
    It looks like TVCoverups has the right idea, though I would certainly build it or a similar idea into the bookcase you're talking about having on the window side of the fireplace.

The idea is to place your TV behind a painting on one of your bookshelves. You'll need adjustable bookshelves so that the size is right. And of course that can be a problem because each bookshelf width is usually no bigger than 36" wide, tho they vary slightly.
    But because TV screens have become so big, TV sizes frequently exceed the width of a bookcase shelf.

What size will your TV be, not the size stated by Toshiba or Sony, but the actual width? Height? You can choose to buy a product like TVCoverups or you can place your TV on the bookshelf and buy a painting to place in front of it which you will just remove when you want to watch TV.

An alternate scheme is retractable doors on a section of the bookcase. And I'm sure others will have more suggestions.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 anni fa
    I do love the TV Coverups! And, of course, I love everything Carolyn. :)

housewife1950s - here are some pictures that might inspire you.

Living Room · Maggiori informazioni

Traditional Family Room · Maggiori informazioni

Custom Built-In Bookcases · Maggiori informazioni

Traditional Family Room · Maggiori informazioni

private residence san antonio · Maggiori informazioni

Pinterest / Search results for swivel tv · Maggiori informazioni

Pinterest / Search results for swivel tv · Maggiori informazioni

Lyvonne
  • housewife1950s
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Thank you all so much! So much to look at there. Sorry I didn't respond before, I was in a place with no internet (yes, such places still exist!) on holiday.
  • PRO
    VERMONT WOODS STUDIOS
    10 anni fa
    We offer a retractable pop up TV cabinet. You can retract your TV into the cabinet and hide it away when you aren't using it. :) http://vermontwoodsstudios.com/products/flat-screen-tv-console
  • PRO
    Long Island Mantel
    9 anni fa
    Consider a ArtScreen, they are non intrusive into the room and require little space.
  • PRO
    Roberta Ahrens Studio
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Hi housewife1950s

here is what we did ... the panels move completely behind the forward cabinets to

reveal a 60" big screen. We at RobertaAhrensStudio.Houzz.com do the application of the artwork on panels built by your contractor, shipped to us to work on in our studio and shipped back to you for installation.

Beautiful Custom Built-in Big Screen TV enclosure

credit: Werner Design Associates, SF CA

• PRO
    Long Island Mantel
    8 anni fa
    consider using an artscreen to conceal the television. visit limantel.com for more information
  • hayleydaniels
    8 anni fa

Check the date of the thread before you post a reply as it is 26 months old...

• PRO
    Roberta Ahrens Studio
    8 anni fa

Thanks Hayley, somehow the thread actually came up into a new post of ours today- but thanks for the tip - Very helpful!

• hayleydaniels
    8 anni fa

Roberta, Houzz has a key word generator that pulls old posts up based on what you're reading. I think people who are on iPads and the like can't see the date as easily as if you're on a laptop or desktop. The old posts are shown on the right hand side of the page under related discussions.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".