Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_50172095

Suggestions for flooring to go with gray shaker units & viscon grani

User
5 anni fa

We are about to take delivery of our new kitchen! After weeks of deliberating we have settled on a gray shaker unit, the worktop is to be viscon granite. See images.. my question is what flooring do people think would work best? We are thinking tiles, perhaps a paler gray than the unit. I would love one that looks like distressed whitewashed wood so it's enough of a contrast to the units rather than blending or trying to match grays. We have also considered charcoal/black slate, or gray karndean flooring. But we are open to suggestions! I've added 2 stock pics of the units to give an idea, also one of the granite in a display.

Commenti (21)

• User
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Any ideas...?

• Daisy England
    5 anni fa

Karndean or similar as opposed to tiles. Perhaps a grey wash so it's pale as opposed to a dark grey.

User ha ringraziato Daisy England
  • PRO
    ANDREA JENKINS INTERIOR DESIGN.
    5 anni fa

Yes i agree, wood will work best, it will bring the warmth into the kitchen, all grey schemes need to be balanced and too much black and grey will make for a very modern but cold room. As you have chosen the shaker style units it suggests that you prefer a traditional look with a twist of modern,rather than a gloss finish, therefore i'm opting for a warm honey toned wood. hope it helps

User ha ringraziato ANDREA JENKINS INTERIOR DESIGN.
  • User
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Yes definitely don't want too modern or cold... thanks for your replies. Have thought of wood look... actually we both like walnut karndean, had it in our last house, problem is the amount of sun this room gets. It has a glass wall and even the oak flooring at the moment is fading and gets very hot to stand on! Which is why we're leaning towards tiles so the floor stays a bit cooler. Perhaps will grab some samples on the wknd of the wood look tiles and see how they look in different shades.

• User
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

I should add that the oak flooring at the moment which is fading is laminate... our last house was karndean which also faded in front of the patio doors.

• Juliet Docherty
    5 anni fa

I like the pale wood in the first image. If everything is grey then it really limits what you put with it as it stands out like a sore thumb. People say everything goes with grey, but I disagree. If you have a wood floor, you are introducing a 'colour' and that makes it easier to work other elements into a scheme.

User ha ringraziato Juliet Docherty
  • Carolina
    5 anni fa
    There are woodlook tiles if you want the warmth of wood and the practicality of tiles
    User ha ringraziato Carolina
  • User
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Yep that's what I mentioned in the original post... attached is a pic of one we found today. Just need to get the grays right. We are considering switching to river white granite to take the black out... this has very slight flecks of a wine colour which would work as the accent colour. Attached is a few ideas for accents for the breakfast bar.

What do people think?

• Juliet Docherty
    5 anni fa

It's hard to see on a photo and with the angle, but when you put the new granite in, it will have a definite 'colour' and you may not know what that is yet. Can you get a sample and photograph it flat with the unit door standing upright so it''s possible to see them clearly? Greys have an undertone, some look violet, some look yellow, blue or pink etc and they can clash.

• PRO
    Zeta Interiors
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

Hi Sasha, wood always compliments Gray shades beautifully as well as shaker style cabinets. I would suggest light, natural and warm colour wood flooring.

• User
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

The problem is I've scrolled through heaps of kitchen inspiration pics on houzz last night and neither l nor my husband can see that grey and brown belong together. Have been playing around with visuals .... what if we jumped out the box with studio green on the walls and a pattern tile floor?? Not usually my style but what are the reactions?

• Juliet Docherty
    5 anni fa

Hi Sasha, there's not just the colour, there's the tone. The last image, everything is quite tonally similar but the dark brown chairs break it up, and the texture of the splashback.

Penthouse - Fantastisk nybyggd Kungsvåning i absolut toppskick · Maggiori informazioni

Rénovation d'une maison des années 80 · Maggiori informazioni

• User
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

River white granite is very similar to the splashback in the last photo.... the thing is we have in our mind to have a grey kitchen and everyone is saying you can't have all gray. our last house had alot of brown and beige, tan, cream etc, no one mentioned we needed gray to break that up LOL, and while I appreciate that those colours are warm, and gray and white are cool, this is an extremely warm and sunny house, lots of patio doors, often I think I've left a light on. So I think I can get away with gray and white without having to still drag brown in ..? If i add colour right. and by colour I mean red, teal, mustard... not brown! Which is a neutral IMO

I think we will go ahead with the kitchen and leave the walls white for now and put floor samples down to decide.... then add accent colour organically.

• Juliet Docherty
    5 anni fa

Hi Sasha, the last picture is all grey and white and it does look lovely and as you say really light and sunny. Go for what you love and as you say you can always add other elements as it unfolds. I would just say check the undertones, and try to get them matched. Put some images up of samples when you can, good luck.

User ha ringraziato Juliet Docherty
  • Tameha Nazim
    5 anni fa
    We recently got a new kitchen. Its similar to your grey kitchen. We went for laminate floor in oak colour. Looks great. I also think. Distressed whitewashed laminate would look lovely.
    User ha ringraziato Tameha Nazim
  • PRO
    The London Tile Co.
    5 anni fa

White wood effect tiles would look lovely, we have a few different styles or have a look on our website for more

Loxley Wood Effect Tiles · Maggiori informazioni

Loxley Wood Effect Tiles · Maggiori informazioni

Valverdi Westcott Wood Effect Indoor Outdoor Porcelain Tiles · Maggiori informazioni

User ha ringraziato The London Tile Co.
  • User
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Beautiful tiles! Love the last one. What is the price per sq metre?

• Sonia
    5 anni fa

I love wood effect porcelein tile planks. They look like wood but are much tougher and easy to maintain. My step daughter has them in her conservatory with underfloor heating. They come in a huge range of colours from palest white to deep walnut. They are best laid before the kitchen is installed, and can be laid straight or herringbone. Here’s a few sample pics

User ha ringraziato Sonia
  • jackymack71
    5 anni fa
    Our kitchen is grey with white worktop, we have quickstep largo Dominica oak grey, will try and post other photo but looks great with tones in kitchen area.
    User ha ringraziato jackymack71
  • PRO
    ANDREA JENKINS INTERIOR DESIGN.
    5 anni fa

Lots of ideas here, the best advice is to get as many samples of finishes and make a mood board. Put each sample side by side then you will see how they sit next to one another,if it's wrong and not pleasing to you it will stand out. If the tones are wrong you can see it. Little Green paint company have a great grey paint chart.. each section has a completely different tone. The first has a blue undertone,second green,third brown and fourth slightly Heather. By placing the items next to one another the undertones will show through.

Amtico have a fantastic range of products and will send 6 free samples.
    This grey kitchen shows an alternative floor and is warmed by the wood table. Good luck.

User ha ringraziato ANDREA JENKINS INTERIOR DESIGN.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".