Houzz Logo Print
hapiak

Which flooring for open plan design?

hapiak
5 anni fa
Having a kitchen/dining/living area built 10.5 x 5m (large fully open rectangle) Open to Velux - 4m bifolds/sliders (another decision I need to make) on 7m side to garden and two long windows with window seats either side of chimney on living area 5m end.

Sorry no pictures as currently starting build.

White Kitchen area (L shape with central island) is in body of house 3.5 x5m with lower ceiling.

Plan is to have white walls and kitchen .. would like the same flooring throughout with a very large rug in centre of living area.

With two young children and a dog I need the flooring to be easy to clean ..

Any recommendations?

Commenti (11)

• hapiak
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Thank you .. loving the options here!!
  • PRO
    Floor Monster
    5 anni fa

Hi there,

do you have an idea of colour you would be looking for? If it was a real wooden floor your are looking for we would recommend going for a lacquered board. This will help protect the board from spillages and it easy to clean and requires very little maintenance.

If you have an idea of colour we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Kind Regards,

Jack

• PRO
    The London Tile Co.
    5 anni fa

If you are continuing the flooring outdoors as well you could consider porcelain. It's very hard-wearing and easy to keep clean.

Valverdi Indoor-Out Porcelain Tiles · Maggiori informazioni

Valverdi Indoor-Out Chalet Porcelain Tiles · Maggiori informazioni

• hapiak
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Thank you.

The flooring will be at the same height as that outside. However I think they will be very different in style.
    With so much white I’m thinking a warm coloured floor which hopefully will go with anything.
  • sjtashfield
    5 anni fa

Karndean!

• Sonia
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

My sister is due to extend her house and is having a grey kitchen. She wants to add warmth to the grey and white scheme and will be using wood effect porcelain tile planks in a warm honey tone. Some of them are very effective and look just like wood, but much tougher and easy to maintain - just a hoover and a mop. They are available at all tile retailers. Here’s a few pics

• hapiak
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Thank you some nice ideas.
    Do you know the brand your sister has chosen?
  • Sonia
    5 anni fa

I think she is going for Porcelanosa (hope I’ve spelt that right!) which is pretty pricey, but she saw some much cheaper ones which were very nice too. She was told that the more expensive porcelein has the colour running right through it, rather like real stone and wood, but the cheaper ones just had the pattern in the top part of the tile. It’s amazing how realistic they look.

• minipie
    5 anni fa

I have the same decision to make and have narrowed it down to wood effect tiles or wood effect LVT (eg Karndean). The benefits of LVT are 1) it is warm underfoot (we will have underfloor heating but don't want to have to have it on all the time), 2) softer to walk/fall on and 3) it doesn't have grout lines to get grubby. This is a big pro for me as our current kitchen grout gets dirty so quickly.

The benefits of tiles are 1) they won't fade in the sun unlike LVT (we are s facing) 2) they can come in bigger planks than LVT so fewer joins and a less "busy" effect and 3) I think they look more realistic, ie more like real wood, but this is subjective. Also 4) they may be more hardwearing depending on which LVT you choose.

Good luck with your decision!

• LTS
    5 anni fa
    We had an extension built last year & have Karndean all of downstairs (except living room) & with 3 kids it is easy peasy maintenance. A quick hoover or sweep then a a clean (with this mop https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HTTQ6A2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )...really pleased.
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".