Houzz Logo Print
pu299

Do I need to change out mantle?

pu299
6 anni fa
Ultima modifica:6 anni fa

Does my mantle not go with the living room?

We never changed it when moving in 2 years ago. It is original to the home which is 40 years old.

We live in a traditional style limestone texan home.

*Art is being switched out, I am using an art styling service

Keep it
Change it to a rustic wood slab (anyone know what this costs?) It's pretty common here in Austin

Commenti (14)

• auntthelma
    6 anni fa

If you like it, keep it. If you hate it, get something else.

I would want it to stretch to fit the width of the brick.

• Marta
    6 anni fa
    I think I would remove the mantle shelf, leaving just the stones.
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 anni fa

It might look better if it stretched the entire width of the fireplace. The white looks okay, but natural wood mantle that matches the hardwood would look nice too.

• Lindsey B
    6 anni fa

I just think it feels heavy, could you do something that isn't as tall? If it's 12 inches, making it like 9 or 10" ?

• PRO
    The Kitchen Studio
    6 anni fa

A beautiful off white modern mantle would really be a beautiful pop to the space! On the other hand a dark rustic wood beam across the fireplace would be beautiful as well and it would give it that country Texan theme.

• db508
    6 anni fa

As others have said, I think it needs to stretch across the fireplace and needs to be smaller in height. I prefer the off-white because it is lighter, but natural wood would be pretty too.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 anni fa

That mantel is not original but I agree a nice natural wood that spans the width of the fireplace is what should be there

• suzyq53
    6 anni fa

I think its nice and it matches the trim and walls. The trim on the edge of the brick will look funny with natural wood. So you should keep it.

• suezbell
    6 anni fa

Actually kind of like the basic idea behind your framed art display as is -- calming in the uncomplicated simplicity of black and white art in basic black frames.

Would probably replace the mirror over the mantel with something with much more color to contrast the more monotone nature of the rest of the room -- something that reflects your family's favorite place or activity.

Do consider changing the mantel for a more simple one ( hung w/top of mantel ending up lower than the existing mantel) and have the mantel as wide as the entire width of the brick.

Would not make the mantel "rustic" as such -- but, unless you want to paint it white again, use wood with a mid shade wood finish -- not too light and not too dark.

• suzyq53
    6 anni fa

I thought it was a picture of cow horns on the mantel.

• suzyq53
    6 anni fa

I like it. Very Texassy.

• gtcircus
    6 anni fa
    The shelf isn’t adding anything to your home. Are you wanting mantel look? Or are you happy with the shelf, and if so, would a wrap around be more your taste?
  • artsyphartsy_home_maker
    6 anni fa

The only thing wrong with it is that it's too small in width from side to side. It should cover the brick from edge to edge. Otherwise its nice & goes with the rest of your woodwork.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".