Houzz Logo Print
suebris

Help, Pool area needs impact, how can we do this?

suebris
6 anni fa

We have just finally completed a pool in a new build which has been difficult due to the pool builder making mistake after mistake. We completed the area around the pool while waiting for the pebblecrete to be poured and finished. We had chosen a deep blue for the pool and based our designs and colours on that. Sadly, the final mistake, we have been given the wrong colour in the pool! It is an ice blue so now we feel the impact has been lost. How can we improve this small, rectangular shaped area behind the pool without spending too much more money? Looking for some sort of wow factor!!

Commenti (34)

• alex_vellere
    6 anni fa
    Perhaps you could consider changing the colour of the wall to a darker colour like charcoal and adding an advanced size palm tree to the corner.
    You could also consider a timber or stacked stone feature, or even just add some colourful hanging plants or vertical garden.
    Maybe the cheapest thing would be some wall art or just purchase a screen from Bunnings and attach to the wall such as the attached pic. You could even add some AstroTurf behind the screen to add another dimension/colour/texture.
  • JE C
    6 anni fa
    Hi, you sound very disappointed, but I think this area can look great, it is a lovely design. please can you post a photo of the adjacent part of your house, then you will get suggestions that complement it.
  • me me
    6 anni fa
    I agree with changing the wall colour
  • Laura
    6 anni fa
    Bummed for you, such a lovely pool and I can feel your pain on pool colour. The build of your new neighbours have a decent view into the pool, perhaps timber or aluminium panels on top of the existing fence line. I’d be thinking to paint the walls a darker colour. With the back wall paint job perhaps a wave/swirl design you could incorporate a couple of deeper blues hues and block colour on other sides. See how much water splashes around for the longevity of your existing plants, perhaps a built in Lshape timber seat in the corner. Lighting?? Is there any in the corner for night ambience? Live with it to see the weathering and where the light bounces, this may change your mind on dark and light colour. Good luck!
    suebris ha ringraziato Laura
  • antonia_d
    6 anni fa
    I think the pool looks great. As others have mentioned, I would change the wall colour if it was possible.
    suebris ha ringraziato antonia_d
  • JE C
    6 anni fa
    Hi suebris, what is the size of the small rectangular area you are concerned about? thanks
  • suebris
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

JE C the small rectangle area is 2m X 4.5m.

Thanks everyone for your comments... hard to know what to do now - think we'll definitely repaint the wall and take it to a grey but maybe not a dark one to keep it light and minimalistic. and some wall art.....

• siriuskey
    6 anni fa

love those photos Julie, I think the colour of your pool is very classy, could you fit a fire pit in the corner, it could be a ethanol fire and not messy wood. Keep the light colours going as per Julies photos, would you try some sandstone on one of the walls. The water is the colour of the Maldives and reminds me a great times cheers.

• girlguides
    6 anni fa
    Soo unfair but still looks really lovely. I’d live with it for a year then see how you feel. I certainly wouldn’t paint wall any lighter
  • cloudpants
    6 anni fa
    Your pool is so cool! Especially those stepping stones. Ithink once you paint that wall a nice neutral such as light grey, you will love it a whole lot better. The pool should be the hero and at the moment it is fighting the purple wall for attention.
    Please keep us updated, and let me know if you need a pool buddy, lol.
  • ton12h
    6 anni fa
    I think the colour is beautiful, maybe a living wall with some easy care plants would add some colour and interest
  • bigreader
    6 anni fa
    It’s a beautiful area. I echo live with it for a while but if you need a change my vote is for a darker wall and a lot of height and fullness of greenery in planting area.
  • JE C
    6 anni fa
    Hi, depending on what elements your house has, I can picture the walls white, perhaps with an area of timber battens and / or decking and some neat planting and maybe some outdoor beanbags or a lounger. I must admit the purple tone to the current colour doesn't work for me. I like cloudpants photos.
  • Kim
    6 anni fa
    I would personally paint the walls a blue or blue/green colour that is perhaps double the intensity of the pool colour. Then you need a statement piece on the white pebble area. Your eye will be drawn to that. Along the large wall opposite the house, put some of those outdoor decorative screens positioned landscape as suggested (3 perhaps). Follow through with outdoor seating keeping in the blues/greens/white with any soft furnishings like pillows chair pads etc. umbrella in white. Either, a) make the statement piece in the red/orange colours and mute the screens..white perhaps (if they can be painted), or b) make the screens bright with colour and the statement piece more muted.
    Could also look at a fake garden wall to add more greenery to the space.
    Beautiful space.
    suebris ha ringraziato Kim
  • JE C
    6 anni fa
    Well, you have had lots of competing advice ....I can't wait to hear what you do !!
  • PRO
    Oceanic Pools
    6 anni fa

Perhaps down the track you could consider changing the vinyl pool liner and completely change the look of your pool and outdoor area with a different colour or texture.

• suebris
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Not sure why you think we have a vinyl pool liner... it's a pebblecrete liner and changing it is not an option! Sadly it is not the colour we wanted but we are now stuck with it....

• suebris
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thanks for all your advice and ideas... so many great ones. We have followed one piece of advice and put up some wall art which has definitely helped and will live with it for a bit until we can work out what to paint the walls.. we have put so many swatches up against the wall and not happy with much so will live with it for a while and see how it evolves... Thank you all..

• Kim
    6 anni fa
    Screens look nice. Is it possible to have them together as they look a bit spaced out? I would move the single one and put it in between the other two. I would move, not easily done, the two white pots to a different location and leave the black one. It's a bit lower so you see the screens. Or, vice versa as I think the white and black together doesn't flow as well. One black pot, although stunning, looks a bit small for the space like something is missing? Trying to think what we could put with that on the white pebble. All I can see is a couple of low deck chairs with funky fabric but unsure with the pebble base.
  • PRO
    Michael Bell Architects Pty Ltd
    6 anni fa

In the earlier photos you posted what stood out for me was not your pool or any of the lovely work, but the neighbouring buildings which distract from the look. You could really soften the composition by adding a timber lattice or bamboo screen maybe 600mm high on top of the existing brick fence. This would block the view of other houses and over it you would still see distant trees. It would also make the enclosure feel more private. All the best Michael.

• PRO
    Cipriano Italian Home Design
    6 anni fa

Stunning space.

It needs some warmth. I suggest either the addition of wood as above, painting the wall a darker (maybe slate/graphite) colour or planting an evergreen vine to take over the wall with time - an investment!

Id even consider painting the wall the same white-ish colour as the rest of the pool to get that Mediterranean look nailed

• sarah_eddy6
    6 anni fa

I think it all looks a little too stark and slick. I would paint the back purple wall a modern neutral such as a light taupe, the current purple makes the blue pool look really artificial pastel-bright. Then add in some timber elements (a planter, some cane loungers) that would look beautiful with the light taupe and your floor tile. Then finally add some softer, looser looking plantings instead of the hard edged pots. Something like a star jasmine would look great (as ground cover or as a climber on the wall), be low maintenance and is good with chlorine splash.

• PRO
    Evergreen Walls Pty Ltd
    6 anni fa

Hi Sue, a great space with some great opportunity - a shame you’ve been struck with some setbacks! The art you’ve chosen looks great. Have you considered using artificial green wall panels to breathe some more natural life into the area?

We’re biased, of course, but our panels would be a great fit for your space - www.evergreenwalls.com.au

Richard

suebris ha ringraziato Evergreen Walls Pty Ltd
  • Crissy
    6 anni fa
    Your pool looks great
    suebris ha ringraziato Crissy
  • PRO
    Clipsal by Schneider Electric
    6 anni fa

Perhaps utilise the plants in the corner more, giving them a bigger impact on the space. Even a vertical garden could really revamp the space.

Thanks, the Clipsal team

suebris ha ringraziato Clipsal by Schneider Electric
  • PRO
    Brickworx Australia
    6 anni fa

Hi Sue,

Have you considered turning a section of the wall area into a feature?

At the moment the rendered wall is very dominant of the whole area,

adding a feature would break it up and draw the attention to the featured area.

We offer faux stone panels which can be screwed into blueboard or cement sheeting.

Just an alternative solution for your pool area.

Feel free to check us out on the website -

www.brickworx.com.au

Joe

Artificial Stone Feature Wall · Maggiori informazioni

• alecia kanzamar
    5 anni fa

I love your paving? What did you use? I also love the pool colour. I know not your first choice but it is still lovely.

• carlopiesse90
    5 anni fa

if you want some decking that never rots or breaks down, try https://www.forteflooring.co.nz/product/catalogue/millboard-decking

• PRO
    Designer Plants Aust.
    5 anni fa

Hey there,

Why not think about some vertical gardens on the fencing?!

Check out our projects to give you an idea of what we do!

Cheers,

Designer Plants

• Rayan Siva
    5 anni fa
    Agree with everyone . I feel like you should put some panels on top of the fence. Something like a panelled wood painted in white and add a plant espalier or vertical garden.
  • PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    5 anni fa
    I personally find the wall colour soft and comforting.
    In my opinion the fault lies with the visibility of numerous roof lines above the wall. I would be aiming to remove or reduce this visibility.
    There is no co-ordination between the pots and plants either.
    Finally I find the white pebbles far too stark - they are a glaring contrast to the subdued tone of the wall. Stones are available with mottled shades that are much softer than the white.
  • Gemma
    5 anni fa
    Little bit of wood or wooden furniture. I think it’s beautiful
  • KK1000
    5 anni fa
    It’s the wall colour that doesn’t look nice everything else is fine. Repaint the wall it’s easy and you want regret it , use neutral colours but not light go for darker and for the corner I would plant giant bird of paradise either in the huge pot or if possible in the ground but keep it well away from the wall to give it space to grow and give you tropical look and feel. If you are using pots you can have few of them they won’t drop leaves in the pool.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".