Houzz Logo Print
georgina_anne

Is this our fence? Help?!

G. j.
6 anni fa
Here is the fence to the right of our garden as if you were looking from the road/house. We have looked at the deeds and it doesn't say who the fence belongs to, whether it's us or our neighbours.
We have had problems with the ivy which we have tried to tame off of our property, but the ivy from their side has weighted the fence down.
What do we do? It looks like the ivy is holding it up as well... The neighbours are slightly difficult and I don't think they would address the problem if we asked them.
Should we:
A. Replace the fence entirely with their permission (would we have to do anything about the ivy though?)

B. Put up a new fence in front of it and hope the ivy doesn't attack our new fence by pruning it regularly.

C. Put up hedge plants tall enough to cover the fence.

This isn't our forever home. We envisage staying here for another 10years max. Maybe we've missed options, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Georgina

Commenti (7)

• Jonathan
    6 anni fa
    I would replace the fence. It sounds like your neighbours won’t contribute so you will be stuck with the full cost. In that case a replacement fence will be more cost effective than a hedge and in a narrow garden takes up less space.
  • embzop
    6 anni fa

I'd go for option A. I'd speak to the neighbour and try and get them to agree to you removing the ivy so you don't get further problems. The new fence should last 15 years so will still good by the time you move.

I had the same issue with my current house. Spoke to the neighbour and neither of us owned the fence. I decided to replace it at my own cost because then I could choose the fence panels that I wanted and it was the simplest option rather than getting into a debate about it. Also, I had mentally prepared for paying the cost before I looked at the deeds and found it wasn't mine!

• Suzanne C
    6 anni fa
    Which is...
  • E D
    6 anni fa
    A.
  • PRO
    Secure a Field Ltd
    6 anni fa

Hi G. j.

I would definitely speak to your neighbor before any course of action is taken.

And i would highly recommend replacing the current fence. Because the privacy and security of your garden has definitely been weakened.

Although putting a concrete post support will temporarily help your fence post it would be more cost effective to replace the whole fence so you have something pleasant to look at for the next 10 years.

We supply garden fence panels if interested.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".