Houzz Logo Print
angelinadi

South west facing back yard is too hot .

angelinadi
6 anni fa

Our s/w facing back deck is way too hot on summer afternoons. Options for shading with planting and shade structure that considers the need for sun in winter months.

Commenti (6)

• julie herbert
    6 anni fa
    Great idea from oklouise, extendable awnings are great also, vergola, laser cut screens can add a stylish look and give a lovely ambience, deciduous trees are perfect, shading in summer then letting winter sun in on colder days, we planted 3 Bradford ornamental pears and it’s just perfect on hot days and very architectural in the winter, not to mention glorious colour in autumn, adds a glow to the garden.
  • PRO
  • macyjean
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

An opening pergola is probably the most adjustable controllable choice but was quite expensive when we looked into it.

Deciduous trees/vines can be good in summer but not necessarily as useful in spring and autumn and of course create a lot of work.

Shadecloth as suggested by oklouise is great for all sorts of adjustable and DIY solutions.

How much sun do you get in winter on the southwest though, do you need to have something removable/openable?

• PRO
    Permit Plans Studio
    6 anni fa

A verandah would be a simple and relatively cost effective way of providing some protection from that heat. If you are concerned about losing valuable light into the adjacent rooms we recommend using some translucent polycarbonate sheet roofing. You can get Level 3 'heat reducing' sheets which can cut heat penetration to below 20% whilst still providing that valuable natural light that we love in outdoor spaces. See Ampelite Solasafe. Shade battens are another option although they won't keep the rain out!

Before & After- Solar Passive Entertaining Area · Maggiori informazioni

• marie4509
    5 anni fa

Thanks, but not an option to raise the roof nor do Vergola...we are too far down the path.

Need to work with what we have :)

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".