Houzz Logo Print
svetlana_g_niyazov

Need help with fireplace design in a room with low ceilings!

Sveta
6 anni fa

Hi everyone!

My husband and I just purchased our first home and are in the process of remodeling. One of the spaces I’m struggling with is our fireplace in our living room area. The living area (next to the dining area) is not big and the ceilings are not high (8 ft). Below is a photo of the existing fireplace (ignore the furniture, it’s the old owner’s and totally not our style). As it stands now, the fireplace design really brings out the low ceilings. I would like to choose a design that lengthens the appearance of the height of the ceiling. I have read that one of the ways of doing this would be to have the fireplace tile/stone go all the way up to the ceiling. We have hired a designer (interior design is her hobby, not profession) and both agreed that we will use natural quartzite brick panels in a champagne color (to match our existing travertine floors) go all the way up to the ceiling. When we went to the tile store and showed the store owner what we wanted, he said using quartzite was not a good idea for a few reasons - 1) it won’t go well with the existing travertine floors and mosaic in the kitchen, 2) it’s so “last season”, and 3) we should use a design where the stone/tile is set vertically to give us the length that we need. Just to give you a little background on our style - it’s Restoration Hardware meets Z Gallerie, which I guess can also be called transitional. Also something to note would be our kitchen has dark wood cabinets with travertine mosaic, so we can’t go too modern on our fireplace design or it won’t “flow” well. Below is a photo of our kitchen for reference.

Would love some suggestions on fireplace design and what type of material we could/should use! Thanks in advance!

Lana

Our Fireplace (we will be removing the exiting wallpaper)

The quartzite we wanted to use from floor to ceiling but in a champagne color

Our kitchen

Commenti (15)

• Mikki Bench
    6 anni fa

Hi Sveta, If this quartzite has heat reflective properties, as I believe it does, you would want to also apply it around the corner at the fire place so the most immediate heat is reflected back into the room. Some call this type of quartz Caesarstone.I would also suggest a darker and shorter and wider fireplace surround/opening so it takes up less of the wall height. Perhaps a low profile mantle as well.

Low ceilings are a benefit for heat retention which is why I find the placement rather odd that the fireplace is near two outer walls. If you want to make the best of your room for height, then maybe consider low furniture , cushions so the place of most frequent perspective gives you an illusion of a tall room.

Sveta ha ringraziato Mikki Bench
  • houssaon
    6 anni fa

I have to say that fireplace is gorgeous as is! So elegant and contemporary.

Putting tiny bits of stone to the ceiling is not going to make the ceilign look higher.

I would get a large knock-out piece of art for over the existing fireplace to make it a real focal point.

• Irene Morresey
    6 anni fa
    I too like it as it is, I'd paint the living room first and see how it feels. Nice big art canvas over fireplace, it will all look lovely
  • teamaltese
    6 anni fa
    Why would you hire someone who is not a professional?
  • Sveta
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Hi everyone,

Sorry for lack of response, I was a little overwhelmed with the project. Rina, thank you for the visual, it looks really cool. My husband and I decided to forego the quartzite and go with a simpler, classic design...we’re still unsure of what the actual design is going to look like, but we are gearing more toward a timeless look.

• Wendy H
    6 anni fa
    Your kitchen backsplash sure looks busy combined with your counters. Would you consider changing the backsplash?
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    6 anni fa

I agree with Rina--have a mantel and overmantel installed. Hire a professional designer who will draft the design so you can see what it will look like.

• bethdeg
    6 anni fa
    What is your style? You say it is different than the previous homeowners? That would dictate what look would be pleasing to you for the fireplace.
  • Sveta
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

I have definitely considered changing the backsplash in the kitchen, just not something we need to take on just yet. Our priorities are the living/dining area, family room, and complete remodel of 2 bathrooms!

• Sveta
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

We’re thinking of doing something like this. We really like the classy and sophisticated look of this fireplace. I also think it will give some depth to the room, as currently the room looks flat. I also love the contrast between the light fireplace mantel and the dark wood floors. Do you think it will look as nice in our living room considering we have travertine floors?

For those wondering, I would describe my style as transitional. I don’t really have a ‘particular’ taste, I like a little bit of everything - modern, Spanish, traditional, Cape Cod, etc. My husband and I are in our late twenties, early thirties. We would like to decorate our home so we can love it now and still love it in 5-10 years. I like timeless styles. Hope this gives you guys an idea of what we’re looking for. Thanks for your ideas.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 anni fa

If it is just a gas insert I would remove it entirely..it is in a bad spot and to close to the dining area..will make it a very difficult for a nice furniture set up...

• Svetlana Savransky
    6 anni fa

It’s wood burning and gas. It’s the only fireplace we have in the home, so I really want to keep it.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 anni fa

Got it!

can you get the same tile that is on the surround now? I would just box out up to the ceiling and continue the same tile and add a mantle if you want more of a traditional style.....otherwise with the style decor you described you will be using in your home..I would leave it flat tile up to the ceiling it will look contemporary and very pretty.

• PRO
    Angel Staging Designs LLC
    6 anni fa

Being that the fireplace is the 'focal point' of the room, go with what you love...I agree that a light and bright surface from floor to ceiling would work best as you do want to draw the eye up. I agree with painting the walls and ceiling the same, again, light color...I have used this in sloped ceilings in attic rooms and its amazing how much bigger it looked. If you are worried about too much light and bright, don't. This is where your varied taste in decor and furnishings with make the room pop! Also, if your taste does change, decor is much easier to change out than a large project like your fireplace. Whatever material you choose, I would not go with a textured finish like the one you were thinking of....timeless is simple, clean and also shiny! Love your kitchen too. Enjoy your new home!

Sveta ha ringraziato Angel Staging Designs LLC
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".