Houzz Logo Print
akalana

Our outdated Kitchen

akalana
6 anni fa
So, we have decided to remodel our kitchen. The challenge was we had hodge podged whatever we could to make it 'acceptable'. A new dishwasher and exhaust fan and new hardware was all we dished out to to this outfit. Not to mention, we painted lipstick on this pig at least 4 times.

I do not even want to tell you what that countertop was made of. Let's leave it as, it should have been removed along time ago.

More pictures to follow as we progress.

Commenti (41)

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    6 anni fa

Best of luck! There's only so many times you can "put lipstick on the pig."

akalana ha ringraziato Gerety Building and Restoration
  • akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Demo begins:

You didn't think I would do it did ya!

• Pennie Heath
    6 anni fa
    Good luck!
    akalana ha ringraziato Pennie Heath
  • User
    6 anni fa

simply just cleaning it up would have been a massive improvement. Makes for a better before and after I guess. I always say painted cabinets are garbage and this is a perfect example. It looks like a hack job also. Even painted the hinges LOL.

• akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

@Tony - yea, I could have. But, this is an everyday kitchen and yes, it gets messy. Wasn't going to pretty it up just for a before photo. Good news though - we've got rid of it, so no more painted hinges. No more lipstick! Check out the demo pictures in my above post.

• akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Let's fix those walls:

• PRO
    User
    6 anni fa

Looking forward to the finished product photos!

• PRO
    Moss Building & Design
    6 anni fa

Great progress! Can't wait to see how it turns out! Good luck!

akalana ha ringraziato Moss Building & Design
  • akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thank you all for your comments. So, we have picked out a kitchen set that we like and we are now installing...Here it is so far:

• User
    6 anni fa

White kitchen, ARGGG. I've seen enough.

• Nidnay
    6 anni fa
    Now Tony, even though white cabs are a bit of a trend right now, some people really like them....not because they're trendy, but just because they like them. Akalana has finally remodeled her kitchen...let her enjoy the moment!

Looks so much better already.
  • User
    6 anni fa

White cabinets were introduced in the 1920s and have been classic ever since.

• akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Our kitchen doesn't get much sunlight so we opted for white to keep it light, airy and bright. Our thoughts were to use the backsplash for color and assorted personal art. Regardless, thanks for stopping by Tony.
  • Brenda Waggoner
    6 anni fa
    It is going to look great. Love white kitchens. Mine is going in July 24/25.
  • Joy
    6 anni fa
    This is fun! Following along. :-)
  • akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Yay progress is made! We decided to get rid of the wine rack cabinet as the wall cabinet looked OK but the base version looked teeny weeny next to the stove.
  • Denita
    6 anni fa

Coming along nicely!

• chiflipper
    6 anni fa

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/143200463127716649/

Great idea for recessing refrigerator...every little bit helps.

• PRO
    Five Star Painting of Austin
    6 anni fa

Fun! Can't wait to see finished pictures.

• akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Here in goes the sink and countertop.
  • Ann Danen
    6 anni fa

Awesome photos! You will love your beautiful kitchen for years to come!

• Nidnay
    6 anni fa
    akalana.....I see you have wood tops. How are you planning on finishing them? Stain...oil?
  • Brenda Waggoner
    6 anni fa
    The cabinet to the right of your range looks fine. Not teeny weeny at all.
  • ssabb
    6 anni fa

Love seeing the progress! We also have a 1950s kitchen we are about to overhaul. Can't wait to see your final photos.

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    6 anni fa

Nice! Excited to see final!

• Joy
    6 anni fa
    Love your sink.
  • akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    the Ikea oil we used is this to protect the butcher block countertop. it is easy to apply and holds well.
  • akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    @Brenda if you look closely the bottom cabinet was flush in the front with the stove but the depth was about half or three quarters the depth of the stove. hence my declaration of teeny weeny :)
  • PRO
    it'sALLart
    6 anni fa

Can't wait to see the cab fronts... don't mind the "white kitchen dissers", I love white kitchens. Nothing worse, IMO, than waking up and going into a dark, dreary kitchen with cherry cabinets, dark floors, black appliances and dark counter tops. I'd much rather go into a warm, inviting kitchen, have the lights on half-dim, you can see everything (great on these old eyes) and you don't need much lighting. On a sunny day, they are glorious!

• Nidnay
    6 anni fa
    akalana.....really like your sink. Do you mind sharing what brand it is?
  • akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Sure I don't mind at all. It's Higold USA. I bought it on eBay for under 200 quid I believe. It's an undermount but we made it work with our countertop :)
  • akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Flashback! I found the original photo of the kitchen before we bought the place.

Yea, my thoughts exactly.

• Ann Danen
    6 anni fa

Love your photos and following along to read all of the cheerful comments on your progress! Keep the posts coming, I can't wait to see the finished photos!

• PRO
    Sundeleaf Painting
    6 anni fa

Just tuning in - love your progress! Keep us posted.

• scf1270
    6 anni fa

Looking good! Enjoying the progress photos.

• akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Ok, now putting the cabinet doors on...plus corner cabinet swivel thingy. Because no one wants to reach.
  • akalana
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Apologies the delay. We finally agreed on a backsplash.
  • PRO
    it'sALLart
    6 anni fa

Nice job... looks very modern and clean.

• C. L. Sleger
    6 anni fa

Love butcher block!

• crj128
    6 anni fa
    Love the backsplash & also that sink!! Enjoy your new space! :)
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".