Houzz Logo Print
robinandcody

Need help for the exterior PLEEEEEEZE

The Robin’s Nest
6 anni fa
Ultima modifica:6 anni fa

Just bought this house and we plan to add shutters (need help on deciding on color) and any other suggestions to make this not so blah. Help! Thank you!

Commenti (36)

• chloebud
    6 anni fa

Nice house! I like the idea of shutters in this case. Just make sure they're sized right...each shutter half the window's width. Your color choices are numerous. What colors do you like?

What color is the roof? Are you changing the siding color?

The Robin’s Nest ha ringraziato chloebud
  • Sigrid
    6 anni fa

This is a very nicely proportioned, classic house. It's simple, but not blah. I'm not sure shutters will make a big difference, but if you go that way, buy good ones.

If you ran a wide, straight path from your front door to the sidewalk and flanked it with plants (hostas do well), you'd give a little more oomph to the house.

The Robin’s Nest ha ringraziato Sigrid
  • PRO
    The Robin’s Nest
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

The siding will remain the same color - it is a cream color (almost white) and accented with a light gray (as you can see around the garage doors and windows - which can be changed). The roof is gray. I was thinking maybe navy shutters or some type of blue.

• katinparadise
    6 anni fa

I agree that correctly sized and authentic looking shutters could work in this case. Real shutters are attached to the trim and have shutter dogs to hold them open. Don't do the screw on vinyl shutters since it will take away from the classic look of your house. They should look like this.

I also think adding a pretty paint color to the front door, along with some color in your landscaping, could help a lot. Larger lights and a pretty address plaque will also add to the curb appeal.

• PRO
    The Robin’s Nest
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Great idea! Thank you!

• mrykbee
    6 anni fa
    If you have money to spend, a new front door that doesn't look like the Home Depot builders special will help a lot! From what I can see, your landscaping looks good and appropriate! Flower pots on each step, updated seasonally (pumpkins and mums in the fall etc) will make it gorgeous. Don't go small on these.
    The Robin’s Nest ha ringraziato mrykbee
  • mrykbee
    6 anni fa
    Also big seasonal wreath!
  • mrykbee
    6 anni fa
    Also no path to the street. The slope won't handle it gracefully. Landscaping is fine.
  • chloebud
    6 anni fa

A gray roof makes it easier! I think navy or slate blue shutters would be really nice. I agree with katinparadise's comment regarding "real" shutters.

One other suggestion...at some point think about a garage door with windows that mimic the ones in the house.

• katinparadise
    6 anni fa

Chloebud mentioned the same thing that I was thinking. Changing your garage door windows out is just a matter of changing the one panel in the door and will better match the style of your home.

The Robin’s Nest ha ringraziato katinparadise
  • grapefruit1_ar
    6 anni fa

What a beautiful home!! I agree with most of the suggestions. Those plastic inserts in the garage door Windows should snap right out. I would also replace the wrought iron railings with wooden ones.

The Robin’s Nest ha ringraziato grapefruit1_ar
  • chloebud
    6 anni fa

Yes...wooden railings. Good call, grapefruit!

• TC Hudson
    6 anni fa

Your idea of navy shutters would look great with your color brick. Just be very careful to choose a navy that does NOT have purple undertones.

The Robin’s Nest ha ringraziato TC Hudson
  • katinparadise
    6 anni fa

I'm going to have to disagree with the idea of wood railings. I think the classic style of the home, along with the brick foundation and steps, calls for wrought iron. IMHO, they're much better suited to the style of the house. I think wooden railings would get too "deck like".

• PRO
    The Robin’s Nest
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thanks...I went back and looked at the picture again and was thinking...Oh, but I like the wrought iron railings....they're modern...not the old style. I think we'll keep those.

• groveraxle
    6 anni fa

Properly sized and installed shutters:

• katinparadise
    6 anni fa

This is a case where the right shutters would really enhance the home. Those look great!

• PRO
    The Robin’s Nest
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

groveraxle: We have talked about adding a portico but would have to be later...love the look and thanks for the pics - so helpful. Is there an ap for that?

• PRO
    The Robin’s Nest
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

groveraxle: could you change picture of our house above with these color shutters? Or tell me how I could do that? Thanks!

• PRO
    Athya Idnani @ Closet Factory Miami
    6 anni fa

I personally think If you put custom sized black shutters, It would make your home pop out and put a nice contrast to it. Click the link I sent you!!
    Check this out!

The Robin’s Nest ha ringraziato Athya Idnani @ Closet Factory Miami
  • grapefruit1_ar
    6 anni fa

I understand about the wrought iron......but I just personally add that because I hate wrought iron! When I was a kid most people took off their beautiful wood railings with turned ballusters and " modernized " them with wrought iron! I have had a strong aversion to it ever since!

• PRO
    The Robin’s Nest
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Athya Idnani: Thank you...I saw your pic and it does pop! I like having the different color door with black shutters, too.

• PRO
    La Bella Home
    6 anni fa
    I would go with black shutters and a black front door to add some drama. And a fabulous porch light and some beautiful hedges would create a timeless elegant statement. Don't forget beautiful door Hardware.
    The Robin’s Nest ha ringraziato La Bella Home
  • Rosanne
    6 anni fa
    And paint the front door the same color as the shutters
    The Robin’s Nest ha ringraziato Rosanne
  • Denita
    6 anni fa

Agree with using proper shutters. Here is a very short article about shutters so you see why we get so insistent on this website about not using the fake ones http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

• allyarm
    6 anni fa

I vote black shutters and black door.. so classic and beautiful, you can't go wrong

The Robin’s Nest ha ringraziato allyarm
  • mrykbee
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

I just realized from the picture your home is vinyl sided. Be careful with your screw placement or you could inadvertently cause your siding to become distorted/buckle in places because it won't be able to adjust as it needs to with the weather. Mount shutters on window frames (aluminum???) or consider adding mounting blocks. Whatever you do, don't "lock down" vinyl siding in multiple spots on the same panel with shutter screws.

• groveraxle
    6 anni fa

Here are the pale shutters you requested:

And the black shutters everyone else wants to see:

• PRO
    The Robin’s Nest
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thank you, but can you make them a pale green instead of blue? My picture may not have been clear.

• groveraxle
    6 anni fa

Pale green:

• PRO
    The Robin’s Nest
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

It still comes out blue on my end but I appreciate your efforts! Thanks so much for your help!

• elsadane
    6 anni fa
    Love the shutter idea. You may also consider changing the lighting at the door to larger and black fixtures to go with the iron railing. Beautiful house!!!!
    The Robin’s Nest ha ringraziato elsadane
  • groveraxle
    6 anni fa

robinandcody, monitors are notorious for displaying colors inaccurately. I actually copied the sample shutter and tried to match it in my program. That said, I think you'll be better off with something darker.

• PRO
    The Robin’s Nest
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

I totally agree! That helped tremendously. Thanks again!

• PRO
    User
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Hello! Everyone is right, shutters would be a great addition to your home! We have polyurethane shutters available is several styles, but louvered or raised panel shutters are probably along the lines of what you have in mind. Fypon shutters are paint and stain ready to finish in whatever color you choose. Check out the our shutters on pages 45 and 46 of our window and door trim product catalog: http://www.fypon.com/products/shutters.aspx Have a great day!

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".