Houzz Logo Print
branchmengel

Need advice

branchmengel
6 anni fa
Ultima modifica:6 anni fa

Remodeling bathroom. Took out old shower and tub, put in large walk-in shower of 6x12 marble tile on wall after new wall board, mud and water proofing. Problem: tile was put up with some tiles cracked, lippage of many tiles and a few actually chipped. Also sharp edges on outside wall, built in seating and floor step up. No effort made to round off edges. Bullnose not available for type of tile. Was told I was being picky, OCD, wall was crooked and I bought brittle tile. Got 2 other opinions and the words were "bad job all around", but didn't think it would leak. Is there any thing that can be done to soften edges of tile?

Commenti (12)

• T. J.
    6 anni fa

Can you post some photos? Also, do you have photos during the project that shows what the person did for waterproofing? You do not want to "think" it won't leak. Also, the brittle tile comment made is BS, because a proper saw blade (for the material in question) will cut a smooth edge. That being said, find a new tile person to come out and remove the edge pieces (hopefully you have leftover tile) and redo it.

I recommend posting where you are located and maybe someone on here can recommend a tile professional. I've done the majority of my tile work myself, but the tile professional I hired for my shower came out in person to quote the job, and then I went out to one of his job site's to see his work in person. I would never hirer someone to tile without seeing their work in person.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 anni fa

Unless you have marble tile you can't really soften an edge. Did you work with a designer? They should have helped you select an edge treatment since there was no matching bullnose - wasn't anything proposed?? I also agree on the brittle tile b.s. statement...

But pictures would help!

• branchmengel
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Pictures of shower. And no, I didn't use a designer. Friend of family was contractor. Don't say it. Lesson learned. Didn't sign contract, so probably no recourse. Adding pics. Just need to know if sharp corners/edges can be helped. Found out after fact that tile guy should have made his own rounded edging I'm sure he did not know how man I hate being somebody's learning curve. CJ

• PRO
    User
    6 anni fa

Hi

sorry to say but that's a pretty ordinary effort and more akin to a handyman (unskilled) job..

a couple of things stand out... I would NEVER install a cracked tile. It will always allow moisture through and eventually become a dirty stain. You DO get brittle tiles but if it cracks during install you get another one and another one and keep going until you have it sorted. Worst case is you waste a few more tiles.

the lippage in the first photo is not acceptable. The cause could be either the tile, the amount of adhesive or the straightness of the wall. Each has a solution that should have been addressed during install.

misalignment of tiles is just plain lazy. Either use spacers and or cut tiles properly to size.

re the corner, this can be bull nosed on site by a decent stone installer.

cheers

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 anni fa

I am not sure if this can be fixed easily.... it really is an unacceptable job. The lippage, the apparent non-use of spacers, the large grout lines.... I feel for you....I wouldn't really know what to do in your position!

• PRO
    ReSquare Architecture + Construction
    6 anni fa

Definitely an unacceptable level of work for a professional. Not a lot that can be done to it to mitigate the problems though. Tough call how to proceed. :-(

• User
    6 anni fa

Please post pictures of the project before the tile went up.

• branchmengel
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

contacted professional. rough estimate 10K to redo whole shebang! Now I have to decide if I want the most expensive shower on my road. I have to say I have been physically ill about this. Thank so much for input don't have any pics before tiling began. Didn't think I would need them. CB

• PRO
    ReSquare Architecture + Construction
    6 anni fa

If it's leaking, not doing it will cost you even more. :-(

• branchmengel
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Havent even tried to run water. Have to fill in some gaps in grout first. How will I know if it's leaking? Is this estimate about right?

• PRO
    User
    6 anni fa

Hi

Unfortunately it's either a rip it out and start again or accept it as is, depending on the waterproofing.

As to the leaking, it could take some time to become visible (if at all).

As an aside, before any completed tiling work is done I inspect the waterproofing and photograph it. As you don't have this, the only thing I could suggest is that you ask where and how he went about the waterproofing... eg what did he use to waterproof, if a painted membrane how many coats, what did he do in the corners where the walls intersect, around the faucets, drains etc.

As soon as you start to remove individual tiles you will be disturbing the waterproofing and although it is often tried, I have yet to see a foolproof way of repairing the membrane once cut.

The new contractor will be allowing for removal labour, disposal of old(new) tiles, reinstalling waterproofing then tiling all over again. Without seeing the overall size of the work it's hard to comment on the cost.

I would be basing my decision on how and what he did to waterproof the shower. I would call a waterproofing company and educate yourself on the requirements, compare this with what he did and make a decision from there taking into account the cost versus the aesthetics.

If the waterproofing isn't done properly (we have a code/standard for this here in Australia) then I'm afraid you have little choice but to do it again as there will be damage in the long run.

Cheers

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".