Houzz Logo Print
caffren

Accessorising Hague blue front room!

Hey guys!

First time I've used this so forgive me if I don't make sense haha.

We are currently completely decorating out new build property's front room. We have gone from a drab magnolia wash to having an inglenook fire installed and painting the whole room in dark blue paint

Commenti (27)

• Claire Herrington
    7 anni fa
    That looks amazing, love it! My first thought would be to have neutral sofas. This would keep it light, and also wouldn't detract from the drama of the blue. Perhaps cushions etc in a deep jade green too for that pop of colour.
  • tamp75
    7 anni fa
    It looks great - brace decision! I would also suggest some green to give it a bit of life. Some of the botanical prints that are around would look good too. Emerald green velvet upholstery would be fab! You could also add in a few elements of metallic colour - brass or copper would look good.
  • tamp75
    7 anni fa
    *brave* decision!
  • susancrosshome
    7 anni fa
    I love Hague blue. I think ivory, golds and dark wood.
  • Soraya
    7 anni fa
    The room looks amazing! Definitely gilt or wooden frames on the walls. Taupe goes well with dark blue as does mustard.
  • Catherine Russell
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Hey guys, thank you so much for your lovely feedback so far
  • Catherine Russell
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Not sure why my comments aren't uploading!!! The comment above said we had bought the sofa in the pic along with a matching armchair. Also I forgot to mention we have assembled a brass ceiling rose and black cable spider chandelier which should spread Edison bulbs across the ceiling to make a more rustic/industrial feel, whilst hopefully giving the room a cosy glow x
  • Jonathan
    7 anni fa
    My living room is painted Hague blue and I feel that the dark colour works best when it frames light colours and in fact got rid of some leather furniture because everything being deeper coloured didn't work in my opinion as well as lighter furniture
  • mayfly182
    7 anni fa

I love the colour but I think the big stretches of wall need breaking up a bit. I'd add plenty of pictures with the mounts and frames matched to each other - off white mounts with gold frames, or even two differnet off whites I think.

• Phil Smith
    7 anni fa
    Add accent colour of yellow or mustard. Great contrast colour.
  • Juliet Docherty
    7 anni fa

It looks gorgeous. The tan sofa and the bricks are a perfect complementary colour for the subdued blue so I would keep anything else neutral. Natural slubby linens would work, and pale neutrals. If you were to add another colour I would make it a bronze/olive.

• PRO
    User
    7 anni fa

Love this colour. My first thought was mustard, and can see a couple of great examples of it on this thread. Please update when done!

• Soraya
    7 anni fa
    I think the tan/ brown sofa will go really well. Looking forward to seeing the fully kitted out room when done.
  • Catherine Russell
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Hey guys! Thanks We got our sofas in this weekend and put our spider chandelier up along with a wall light and a few frames. I've attached some updated photos! The wall above the chair is the only corner I feel looks finished ha!!

So here I am, back for more help from you lovely people! My main questions are:

The two empty walls could do with something on them. We have ordered a bright painting for above the fireplace so don't want to fill the room with too much art. Any ideas for what I can put up as an alternative? Mirrors? Plants? Shelves?

The hubby wants me to come up with a plan for putting some kind of shelf/low table behind the smaller part of the corner sofa.
    I feel like I've seen super slim console tables but don't know where to start looking!

What would people do about the windows, we used to have curtains which made the window seem smaller and killed some of the much needed sunlight. I am stuck between a roman blind or shutters!! Help!!

Thank you all for your lovely help so far :-)
  • susancrosshome
    7 anni fa
    Creams, golds etc . I've panned back to show everything chosen to match and lighten the blue
  • Juliet Docherty
    7 anni fa

Some handmade baskets would work well. Also this mirror from Loaf would complement the fireplace. It's looking good.....

https://huckleberryuk.com/collections/tonga-baskets-zambia

http://loaf.com/products/cinch-mirror

• Catherine Russell
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Love those baskets! Thank you
  • Joanna Biddolph
    7 anni fa

The colours you've chosen work really well together; I find the room really peaceful and relaxing but not in the least bit dull. Fantastic job. On details, I'd paint the radiator the same Hague Blue - it's not a feature and deserves to blend in, not stand out. I'd also hang bigger pictures than those you've chosen - to give a sense of balance with the drama of the colour. That means you could have larger pictures/paintings on each wall - the room can take it and it won't be dominated by art because your sofa and chairs are such a good size for the room. I'd have bigger plants, or at least one bigger plant - the one I can see is a bit small and would work well on a surface (a side table, perhaps) while a very large plant on the floor would bring the room alive. I agree that a mirror would be good. Have you tried pulling the sofa away from the wall and more into the room? Would that make it seem even more cosy?

• Kevin Keating
    7 anni fa
    Hi,

can I ask how the fireplace was installed?
  • Kevin Keating
    7 anni fa
    it looks beautiful by the way and love the blue
  • Catherine Russell
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Hi Kevin, cheers for the compliment! The fireplace was installed by a company called Piping Hot Stoves based in the North East. Starting with a flat wall they built an external fireplace with brick and then knocked through to create an inglenook.
    Great for if you want a fire but don't want to lose square footage from your room.
    I've put a few before, during and after shots and a pic of the inglenook from outside the house too :-)
  • Catherine Russell
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    The outside pic didn't upload sorry :-(
  • Kevin Keating
    7 anni fa
    love it. just about to move in to a new build ourselves and was wondering how to add some character.
    do you mind giving an indication of cost?
  • Catherine Russell
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Haha yeah I was sceptical on the blandness of a new build because of the whole lack of character thing but husbands heart was set on one.
    To be honest they are great and character comes with time. We found getting coving helped with that too!
    All in the build from start to finish came under 5k - our beam was an expensive option though as we wanted big and rustic (the wood cost us £500 alone)
    All worth it though in my opinion!
    We also had quotes for someone to come in and build a faux chimney breast to house a log burner and they came in around the 3.5k mark.
    Hope this helps! And good luck with your move!
  • PRO
    Feature Radiators
    7 anni fa

I love a Hague Blue radiator!

Radiators in rural settings · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    Litecraft
    7 anni fa

Hi Catherine,

Loving the room, everything is looking great! If you're still looking for what to add to the empty walls, this mirror would go well alongside the wooden decor and brown sofa. The slick bronze will also contrast nicely against the blue walls.

Classic Bar Square Mirror - Bronze

you can take a further at the mirrors we offerhere.

hope this helps a little and we'd love to see the room once it's completed, good luck with everything!

Kind Regards,

Litecraft Team

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".