Houzz Logo Print
christine_schwab8

9 ft ceiling kitchen. Should we do a bulkhead or stacked cabinets?

Building a new home.
9 ft ceiling kitchen.
We wanted to originally do stacked cabinets, however it seems to be about 6 thousand dollars cheaper to just do a bulk head and have standard cupboards.
What are our options?

Commenti (11)

• PRO
    Patrick A. Finn, Ltd
    7 anni fa

Leave it open on top ready for when you have enough money to add the stacked cabinets possibly. Because then you won't have to cause too much of a mess taking down 2x4s and drywall when you move ahead.

It's hard to believe that the extra height in cabinets would cost that much though... Unless you have a huge kitchen. Stacked cabinets look great as you've probably seen, so if you have the funds try to work something out.

• Diane
    7 anni fa
    Do the cabinets now find the money from some other aspects of the project that would be easy to do later.
  • Christine Schwab
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

• PRO
    R G MILLER (YBC)
    7 anni fa

I would do the stacked cabinets now, not the bulkhead. Initial investment may be more but resale should recoup the difference. Stacked Cabinets look beautiful.

• Kathi Steele
    7 anni fa

Spend the money now and do the stacked cabinets.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 anni fa

I agree about the ones over the sink and IMO unless you have crown molding in the rest of the house i would take the cabinets to the ceiling no crown and do it now to make sure the cabinets all match There are a couple of design flaws in this kitchen that should be addressed the fridge and the sink are way too far apart so unless you put a prep sink in the island you need to reconfigure this layout.. Just imagine trying to prepare a meal in this space the amount of steps just to prep veggies will be a workout .

• Judy Mishkin
    7 anni fa

i have a 9' ceiling and did 42" cabinets. i did a door style that feels like stacked without the expense, but i didnt want glass up top anyway. i had a non-negotiable plumbing situation in a small chase, so skipped going to the ceiling but i dont mind a little empty space up top.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

If you use stacked, go with 39/12 combination. Some companies make stacked cabinets as one piece. Don't go over the window with cabinets, but if you like something over, you can make a nice soffit using kitchen matched material with lights underneath over the sink area.

• PRO
    Knight Kitchens Ed Stoehr
    7 anni fa

A tall fascia board applied to the cabinets to take it to the ceiling and a crown off the fascia to the ceiling may be what you want to do. Upper cabinets over 42" will be unusable without a step stool . A door with glass in the top is beautiful. Stacked door cabinets work better with inset cabinetry, if using a stacked door cabinet with full overlay leave a gap of 1" between the upper and lower door sections if possible.

• lynette day
    6 anni fa

I'm curious, why leave a 1" gap between the cabinets?

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".