Houzz Logo Print
dympnastfinians

fireplace , is there any hope?

Dee Mc
7 anni fa
I'm really not sure about the fireplace in our new living room, is there any saving it? Does anyone have ideas on colours to go with a dove grey couch? many thanks

Commenti (23)

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 anni fa

Wow. That's Fab!

Do you have a picture of the sofa? Is the carpet staying with the grey sofa?

• Dee Mc
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Hi, the carpet is going, have ordered an oak solid wood floor. I'll attach a pic of the couch, any advice is greatly appreciated
  • Dee Mc
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    This is the couch and I've added a pic of the flooring sample.
  • gilliifer
    7 anni fa

I love the unusual fireplace. I would make a real feature of it and add some more circular features such a circular mirror and coffee table.

• Dee Mc
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thanks for the advice, would a circular mirror suit above it?
  • Dee Mc
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thanks for the advice, would a circular mirror suit above it?
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 anni fa

Hi Dee,

Wow I love the floor! It will look great.

I think once you get the floor in and walls painted take another look. I would go contemporary with a grey that compliments the sofa.

If you then add a few Art Deco styled accessories I think it will tie into the room nicely.

With the round mirror I don't personally think one will have a great effect. Maybe a few of differing sizes.. kind of like bubbles rising, may look nice and make a really feature of that middle space as a whole.

I hope that helps. I find a 3D image of the space helps my customers to visualise the room before that buy or having costly changes made so if you know someone who can make you something up or get one done that may ease some worries.

All the best, Gina

• PRO
    Robert Way - One of the Great British Designers
    7 anni fa

you could use a fan deco mirror in this style but made of separate pieces of mirror with a matching radius as the fire surround at the bottom. Paint the wall in a plain colour to match ground of the wallpaper used on the remaining three walls. A deco paper like this.

• PRO
    Exclusive Mirrors
    7 anni fa

Hi, we would use a circular mirror. You could use a simple glass framed design or something more striking to create a focal point on the wall.

See some examples below:

Lindley wall mirror - £137.39 http://bit.ly/28KiaJx

Kirkham round mirror - £131.45

Grey frame round mirror - £113.77 http://bit.ly/2cvTV8W

Adhara large silver mirror - £245.52 http://bit.ly/1pfWr3f

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

• Daisy England
    7 anni fa
    I'm another one (sorry) who doesn't like the fireplace. The fire is ok but the surround is awful.
  • PRO
    Terra Firma Gardens
    7 anni fa
    Take it away, it's awful ! Put in a traditional fireplace, it will be much more welcoming and give the room a warmer feeling. (Imho)
  • Dee Mc
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thanks for the imput everyone. I am definitely thinking it's time for a new fireplace. Really not warming to that one
  • p_e_morgan
    7 anni fa

You've either got to go full art deco for the whole room to make a feature of it, or abandon it altogether.

• PRO
    Bio Fires
    7 anni fa

Hey Dee,

The fireplace surround looks really interesting with its unique circular shape - without a doubt you should keep it, and make it a real feature. Compliment it with other circular furniture pieces, but you could also add visual interest by contrasting the circular motif with geometric patterned accessories like rugs, pillows or artwork for an eclectic interior style touch.

I think the gold insert looks outdated and will be hard to match with the sofa and wood oak flooring. A classic black insert will suit the interior style more. A bio ethanol insert will be a simple solution for this, without the need for chimney or flue. Alternatively you could replace the fireplace with a freestanding bio ethanol fireplace that can be placed against the wall, if you don't like the circular style.

Good Luck!

• Dee Mc
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thanks for the advice. I hadn't heard of bio ethanol fireplaces, must do some research as we don't have a chimney. Are they economical?
  • Caroline Hang Hong
    7 anni fa
    Hi, nobody has mentioned this so I'm obviously missing something but the hearth appears to be floating 6 inches above the floor; is this intensional?
  • Heather Child
    7 anni fa
    Please take the fireplace out before you put that lovely flooring down it will look so much nicer with a more traditional shape one.
  • Heather Child
    7 anni fa
    We have just put this similar flooring in our new extension and we live it!
  • Dee Mc
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Heather, the flooring looks amazing, really beautiful. I think the fireplace has to go. now to find a nice one
  • irenecb
    7 anni fa

Hi Dee Mc , My neighbour has the exact same fireplace. We live in a Victorian townhouse. She gutted the place and went very modern. It looks amazing. She has the same fire in the front lounge, she has a dramatic flush mounted circular ceiling light, She also has a red circular sofa. She has plantation shutters at the window. the room has clean lines. she has a huge television above the fire. She also has a wooden floor. I think you can keep your fire, I would change the brass inset for a chrome or black one, also add some logs. You can get bio- ethanol or gas suited logs. The advantage of the fire you have is that you get more floor space than you would with a traditional fireplace. Nina Campbell is a designer who I love, she often does living rooms with hole in the wall fires and then puts traditional furniture with the modern fire. It really looks stunning. Check out some living rooms images on here with hole in the wall fires before you spend ££ on a new one.

• PRO
    Bio Fires
    7 anni fa

Yes they are. If
    you were to use it daily for many hours it will work out more costly than other
    types of fireplaces, but most people use it on occasional evenings or weekends.

The basic estimate is £1/h, but the cost will strictly
    depend on the way you use your fire, the amount of fuel you buy and the size of
    your fuel container. So you need to decide whether it is economy or occasional
    use that is your priority before purchasing fuel!

You could get more information on
    running costs and facts on bio ethanol fireplaces
    here: http://www.biofires.com/content/12-running-cost-facts

Hope that helps!

• barneyrubble7
    7 anni fa

Sometimes you end up with a feature that has great potential or not

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".