Houzz Logo Print
kimconley38

Is this just too much? Or not enough Suggestions please.

Kim conley
7 anni fa
Is this overkill? This is all in the same space. Dining room open to livingroom. I bought a jute area rug for under the dining room table. Is this working? I'm still not done, but I'd love honest feedback.

Commenti (173)

• Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Yawn.........
  • PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    7 anni fa

Not a mirror fan unless one is actually needed. Art is much better. If so, paint the frame of your square mirror.

Humewood Residence · Maggiori informazioni

Garden House - Front Entry · Maggiori informazioni

Use newspaper and play with size needed to be visually appealing. Your photo shop pictures everything is too low.

• Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Ok this is the full space. I don't prefer a mirror either. I think it needs to be pretty size able
  • Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    I can return the bench and maybe get a console table. But I'll still need art.
  • cmmrealdeal
    7 anni fa
    I like the first contrasting mirror.
  • happyleg
    7 anni fa

Yes to fake tree with lights in dining.

• happyleg
    7 anni fa

I would put it at the area of trash can, it will make it less noticeable.

• J D
    7 anni fa
    I totally agree w others. The room is fabulous. Looks so chic!
    If it were my room, I would fix the slouchyness of the couch. There are articles if you search for it that tell you how to do it. It involves replacing the cushions under the fabric I think. But a total DIY if you can sew.
    Personally I feel as though there is a great amount of color in the room. Just add a little more w paintings and art in the dining room
    Also, the rug is too small. It's gorgeous, but it needs to be bigger
    All the furniture should be able to sit their front legs on the rug
    Overall it's gorgeous!
  • PRO
    Black Orb Studio
    7 anni fa
    perhaps some nice window treatments is what you need. I also feel there's a pop missing...as in I'm not sold on the red sticks but a dark red wall would really liven things up! dining room is dire need of attention and is I'll balanced maybe a Sq table since you have round coffee Table? a painting (with dark red) to pull you zones together. and so excited accessories
  • Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Looking for a new picture over fireplace to replace the mirror. The one I ordered came into day and it was hideous and scratched. I've already got a refund.

I can arrange the rug where the front legs of the chaise are on the rug (they are now) and the gray chair is usually positioned with front part on rug.

Thanks guys! Things are coming together, gotta find something over the bench for now. I've got a week or two to return it for full refund.
  • emelems
    7 anni fa

I love it, not overkill at all.

• Vaughyn Call
    7 anni fa
    Add color to the walls and wall hangings
  • PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    7 anni fa

If you love your bench, keep it...be patient, the right piece will reveal itself. Look to Etsy. ClarreElsaesser comes to mind for varying sizes of high quality prints. With some digging, you can find large affordable pieces also. If you do not love the bench, return it. Maybe what you need is just a plain bench with a cowhide rug?! You would still need art though.

Tiel Duncan produces beautiful prints, they look like originals. Matted and framed this would look lovely overly your bench...HERE

• sandi125
    7 anni fa
    I haven't had time to read the whole thread, but as someone who currently is in a house with a window shortage, I love mirrors. You do have to be careful about what they reflect though. Good luck. It looks like things are turning out well.
  • havingfun
    7 anni fa

kim! it is the pillow lady. I am back spent weekend in NC gasping for air and doting on son and grandbaby. meeting wonderful mom of gb. if i had only had more air, would have been perfect.

I would love to help you with more pillows. what would you like? a new color in the mix? more traditional pattern?

so, i have read the 50 plus comments since i left on friday! my goodness! Kim to me you seem to be exchanging one great choice with another great choice. so, i question the disconnect. you want more life in the room? but the point of such a room, that you clearly love and have difficulty adding color too is that you like it this way, it is designed for viewing great art. so lets try concentrating on that. except for a couple pieces, most of your art choices are fairly common and quite simplistic, indicating you are buying just to match your design aesthetic. possibly a little keeping up with the simpsons. art, true art, is such that you don't get the whole thing in one viewing. nearly everytime you go back you see something else you like or makes you ponder. if your brain is easily confused by mixed colors, it will not be with your color scheme. so look at more intense art that you just cannot take your eyes off! then what you sit on, walk on, does not matter to your eyes. you walk in and see the art an your eyes wander from art work to art work. all the bottom stuff is a pillow for your body, so that all of you is bathed in luxury!

i do hope that everyone takes this in the context it is meant. there are many lovely design ideas out there, and it is great stuff. can even be a work of art. but sometimes someone chooses a path, because what they truly want a wall of art but feel insecure on their ability to choose. and I want everyone to remember that there is currently a couple with their name on museum room and the only reason this happened is that they started an art collection of what they like whenever there was an art show in town. purchase grew with monetary increase, but the museum feels that have a great example of 20th century art of a genre. so obviously you do not need to be an art critique.

• Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Everyone and having fun. You all have given me such helpful and thought provoking concepts. I think the advice about art has helped the most. I'm picking what talks to me. And I'm being truly to who I am, and not just a style or look I see on Houzz. It feels great and liberating.

I love my additions to the dining area I've made up in the last 24 hours. And I'm actually excited about my next art pieces and I'm no longer intimidated or stressed out about it.
  • Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    I realize the answers are within. And my place is already starting to feel like a warm welcome place. And a space where I enjoy sitting in everyday.

Again everyone's comment has been significant and meaningful. If nothing else, it got me think about what I want, what represents and reflects me. I couldn't be more thrilled.

Home design is so much more than finding the "right pieces". It's about creating a pleasant living space that speaks to you and welcomes others when they enter.

This has been so fun. I think I had the answers inside already. You guys just helped me find them. This has really been a wonderful experience and I couldn't have done it without you.

I'll post pics when I'm finished. Not for opinions, but just to share who I am and what I've created with your help and suggestions.

I really really really learned so much . Thank you all. I'm smiling at what I've created so far. And what's to come. I'm gonna feel so proud and all of you had a role in it.

This place is slowing becoming me. Very cool!!!!
  • Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    And I'm glad to appreciate how important art can play in a home. I've never decorated with that in mind until now. You guys have taught me. I'm being true to myself instead of a cookie cutter look i see in pics. They did give me inspiration that I would boy have had without it. So I'm very grateful. I can't wait. Pick what you like. Listen to suggestions, but ultimately, in the Ed,pick what you love.

Thanks again for going on this journey with me. And that's sharing with me the "basics" of decorating your home.

Btw, I lowered my art on the dining room wall that's right at the perfect height. And it flows.
  • havingfun
    7 anni fa

yeah! hope to see soon and have fun!

• Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Returned cowhide bench. Got lucite console/entryway waterfall table. Bought it on Craigslist. I've wanted a lucite waterfall console table for awhile. It's going where the bench was.

Found art for over the fireplace. Pretty grays and yellow. Peaceful to look at. Very feminine canvas art.

Might put a pouf or plant under it. Ill have see. I really sharp mirror would be nice over it. But I'm concerned about too many mirrors. Is that a thing?

Also any thoughts on what lamp might work in the dining area? I refuse to use the overhead light. Not a fan. Gotta live with it, but I don't have to use it as my light source.
  • Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Gonna hand mirror on wall instead of leaning to see if I like it better.
  • havingfun
    7 anni fa

too many entries ugh. so if i did not say it. i don't do mirrors so i can not help. but if you have a hair of diy how about mini chandies coming out of the corners?

Brown Iron Shepards Hook | Pier 1 Imports · Maggiori informazioni
    i like the next better, but if you did two?

Golden Arc Floor Lamp · Maggiori informazioni

Swirls & Drops Floor Lamp | Pier 1 Imports · Maggiori informazioni
    above is example

chandies
    Gem Round Hanging Lantern - Clear | Pier 1 Imports · Maggiori informazioni

Gem Hanging Lantern - Antique White | Pier 1 Imports · Maggiori informazioni

Aspiration Ceiling Lamp by Zuo at Gilt · Maggiori informazioni
    i adore this idea! you get the lighting hardware at ikea or hardware store. what do you think. oh there are instructions on line so you can turn nearly any hat into a chandy!

• Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Hi having fun!

Are you saying the second arc lamp in the corner next to shelves? Or in the livingroom?
  • havingfun
    7 anni fa

i meant in the dining room instead of changing out the overhead?

• User
    7 anni fa
    I agree with everyone but I also recommend pulling your dining table away a little from the book shelf
  • happyleg
    7 anni fa

Can the mirror be turned lengthwise so the ceiling fan isn't in it?

• Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Moved mirror over fireplace to entryway wall over a lucite console table I picked up. Bought at for space over fireplace. See pics. Gotta do something with entryway wall. I'm thinking Pouff underneath console table, and vase/orchids etc on hop of table.

I realize my place seems to be leaning towards a Scandinavian look, but not 100%. I love the freshness of white home decor. I also love the mirror over the lucite table. It looks 1000xs better to me. I was gonna give it away, but I think it brings a chicness to the space. Just my opinion. I wish I can take pictures to really capture the space the way you see it while actually standing in the space. I just use my iPad camera as of now.

Feedback and suggestions welcome.
  • Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Newest addition/change
  • abbyjean
    7 anni fa

Is it possible to turn the mirror the other way? It just seems like it would "fit" better if it did not extend beyond the table and it would also put it a little closer to the top of the table so those two pieces would connect a little more. I love the idea of an orchid on the table and overlapping the mirror a bit even.

• Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Abbyjean- you mean lowering the mirror, right?! I told my hubby the same thing. He huffed age puffed cuz the mirror is heavy. But I'll gonna have it lowered.
  • abbyjean
    7 anni fa

Lowered and turned to make it the tall way??? If it gets turned, it might work to keep the top right where it is the other way as it will put it closer to the table then. Not sure how much difference between height and width on this.

• Seajay Sparkles
    7 anni fa
    Following along. Not my style but love seeing the great process coming to fruition. Abbyjean wants you to hang mirror vertically and a little lower. I was getting ready to make same observation. Like the table instead of bench.
  • happyleg
    7 anni fa

I totally agree!

• havingfun
    7 anni fa

i actually like the mirror sideways. 1 for hubby!

• Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    I like the mirror horizontal!!! Absolutely!!!! Bought beautiful orchid plant for table in today. Very becoming. Looking for a Pouff probably yellow. On a small bench. Might get crazy and get a cowhide ottoman. Who knows?????

Bought more plants. So pleasant and adds an earthy dimension to the room. Got a white stand from ikea for the full fat leafed plant and gonna put it next to sideboard .
  • Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Would anyone like to share photos to their homes?
  • happyleg
    7 anni fa

Show us the pic! Prying eyes need this. LOL

• havingfun
    7 anni fa

Ottomans - Walmart.com · Maggiori informazioni

Handmade Knitted Pouf, Navy Blue · Maggiori informazioni

Rush Grass Storage Footstool, Natural · Maggiori informazioni

drum side table | Joss and Main · Maggiori informazioni
    options?

• keemiash
    7 anni fa

the art over fireplace is pretty. hang mirror vertical... will look better.

• Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Not in love it.
  • happyleg
    7 anni fa

I love that, do u need a basket under there? If so a round one.

• happyleg
    7 anni fa

Add a pretty tray? Do u need a rug at door? Go navy so dirt don't show fast.

• rbhirano
    7 anni fa
    Looks good, but everything is at waist level or below. You need something to pull the eye up and around the room. Pictures, tall plants, a tall bookcase? Don't be afraid to reach for the ceiling! That will make the room look taller, too, and give it some balance.
  • havingfun
    7 anni fa

want me to take down other options i put up?

• rbhirano
    7 anni fa
    I hope you didn't return the bench - I love it! It has lots of personality. I also love your acrylic chairs - excellent choice as they make the dining room look larger. The pop of color from the painting is awesome, too, and draws your eye along and up. That makes the room seem larger. Is it possible to hang the mirror horizontally in there? Having a vertical item above the horizontal bookcase makes the two fight visually. For above whatever you have in the entry - how about a gallery wall? Several smaller items, but not too small, instead of one large one? You can tailor the size and placement.
  • PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    7 anni fa

Do you need poufs? They kinda ruin the airiness off the glass console. I would hang the mirror vertically and get a bit more substantial pot for your orchid. On the other side, place a large picture..b&w or muted colors...that is a bit meaningful to you and yours. Simplicity is better. Cowhide rug on floor.

Motcombe House · Maggiori informazioni

Cole Foyer · Maggiori informazioni

• Kim conley
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    I was thinking more along the way this is below.

Adventurous Family Home · Maggiori informazioni

Also, any suggestion for a better statement vase to hold the orchid? I think that's a good idea.
  • havingfun
    7 anni fa

to tell you the truth. I think you should go local with that. charity thrift, maybe tj maxx or marshalls are the best places to look. it would be far more reasonable then the extreme prices you find at the premium stores.

• User
    7 anni fa
    For some odd reason that mirror looks crooked doesn't anybody else see that
  • happyleg
    7 anni fa

I think it's the angle of the camera vs slate slightly of the hand.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".