Houzz Logo Print
antonella_gaglio

outlet box installed too low for quartz backsplash

Ella G
7 anni fa

My husband made a judgement error on his measurements for the outlet box and the height of our vanity and countertop. As you see in the picture, the outlets are about 1.25 too long for the backsplash and leaves no room to account for the outlet cover plate. Does anyone have any ideas for how to remedy this? I found shorter outlet plates but they are still too long. Thank you in advance! (PS the company is coming this week to shorten the backsplash since it's hanging over the countertop...)

Commenti (8)

• PRO
    GigiLane
    7 anni fa
    I would have an electrician come out and move the outlet boxes from vertical to horizontal ,we had to do that in our kitchen for one and it was no big deal. Or you can have the fabricator cut the backsplash down an inch.
    Ella G ha ringraziato GigiLane
  • PRO
    Creative Kitchen Design
    7 anni fa

If the electrician can not move the outlet boxes up ask if they can be turned horizontal just above the backsplash and you would only have a minimal drywall repair.

Ella G ha ringraziato Creative Kitchen Design
  • Ella G
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

@Jan- Yes it's not fully installed yet. We're just a 30's something couple who had great aspirations of doing a DIY bathroom remodel :) Live and learn! Thanks for the responses. I wasn't sure if it was easy for an electrician to move it up. I will have to check with Cambria about cutting it shorter when they cut the overhang.

• beseaside
    7 anni fa

You could skip the cambria back splash and go with a tiled wall - tiling around the outlets. It is very easy to move the outlet boxes up, but there will be a bit of sheetrock patching. You have made a great start with your first remodel.

• PRO
    Creative Kitchen Design
    7 anni fa

Tiling is a good option but do remember to pull the outlet boxes out to be flush with the face of the tile.

• bleh1
    7 anni fa

Another suggestion is to leave the outlets where they are and make a cut to both sides of the marble on the wall with a design. Almost like the shape of an L but rounded at the 90" angle. in reverse on the left side. Maybe an ogee edge but larger. It might be easier to slice the marble than deal with switching the box around etc.:) The outlets would have to be the same distance from the edge to make it look uniform. Just an idea of course:)

• skrpan
    7 anni fa
    I always turn my electrical boxes horizontal. You could cut them in to the back splash or modify your backsplash so the plate sits right on top of it. You could also trim the bottom of the plate a little too. But turning them sideways seems to make them look less obtrusive in my opinion.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".