Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

Are you considering a solar home battery setup?

Luke Buckle
7 anni fa
Ultima modifica:6 anni fa

I have to be honest, I am eager to get my hands on a home solar battery unit - teh kind made by electric car company, Tesla. I see that there is new competition coming from another car company and that prices per unit are already falling in Australia. Just look at it, it's beautiful, and it speaks to me desire to get off the grid and stick it to those price-gouging energy companies once and for all.

Who else is with me? Moreover, does anyone know who has acquired one already?

Commenti (16)

• Hilde Gard
    7 anni fa

It's like the iMac of the Solar Power industry.

• wuff
    7 anni fa
    I would love to go off the grid, but I am unsure if you are allowed to. I will wait a few more years and see what happens
  • suancol
    7 anni fa

two things to consider : solar is good except when sun does not shine and recent advice is hold off on batteries for 5 years as technology improves and costs drop

solar panels are becoming more a paint on technology than large glass panels

• PRO
    Enduring Domain Architecture
    7 anni fa

I've done a bit of research on this lately for some clients and the Tesla batteries aren't necessarily the best, they are just the best marketed. There are other good brands such as Enphase, Samsung and Selectronic, but not all will work with all types of panels and inverters, something to consider if you have an existing grid-interactive system. Also, I don't believe there are currently any lithium batteries that will allow you to be off-grid, but as the comments above, watch this space in the next couple of years.

• LesleyH
    7 anni fa
    Just make sure you calculate how much excess energy a day your system less usage will have available to store. At our latitude it worked out there was not a lot left over so it was not cost effective.
  • Hilde Gard
    7 anni fa

If you haven't yet checked out PVOutput.org, this is a community resource that allows all Solar Power users to log, track and compare their ...well, PV Outputs. You can inspect their vast number of members and different performance and also read and join in the hundreds of interesting and technical forum conversations. They are onto everything. After clicking on: http://pvoutput.org/outputs.jsp  and seeing the output reports, click on "About" and then "Community Forum".

• Barbara Dunstan
    7 anni fa

We are building as you know Luke and I would love solar but hubby feels at present the systems offered, sway too far towards the companies marketing the products and not enough towards the person forking out huge $$$$ to have the system installed.

There is talk be it correct or not, that solar systems might only last 10 years before they need either maintenance, partial or complete replacement and that's simply not long enough to get back in the black with the initial financial outlay, as you may still be paying for the original system!!

Also for us living in south west vic, our winters are so cold and sunless, that I hazzard a guess, like solar heating for a pool, the system will completely fail, in that it wouldn't produce any energy for possibly 4 months of the year.

We have credible information about a wealthy local who decided to give going off the grid a red hot go and even installed a wind turbine, with the batteries and a solar system and my information is that this local is back on the grid, as the system failed because there wasn't sufficient wind to keep the turbines moving and the same for the solar with inadequate sunlight during winter.

I think such a system (solar) should last a good 15 - 20 years and then allot more people in colder areas like us, would definitely consider the expense of going "green" because the months when the system would work would become worthwhile.

Just slightly off topic, we were supposed to have a solar HWS with electric backup as part of our energy rating for the area and during the course of investigating the best unit, we found out that most common systems for a HWS that has solar panels on the roof, have a type of anti freeze running through the system to prevent the water from freezing in low temps. Literature that I read on the Rheem website advised people like us that gather our own water for all household needs, showering, laundry etc... AND most importantly drinking water, needed to isolate the section of roofing where the panel were, in case of a leak although remote because if it occured, all the drinking water that became contaminated, had to be discarded!!

Imagine having to empty our tanks during summer with no more rain to refill them, we would then have to buy water to be able to stay in the home however, there is a system that we found that has evacuated tubes rather than panels and these tubes have no chemicals with the most popular brand being the Apricus.

Anyway, just some info about solar hot water.

Cheers,

Barbara

• Bernadette Staal
    7 anni fa

I am in New Zealand and currently it is still too expensive to get battery back up but I am impressed with a new battery system brought out from Panasonic. Currently the only option is about $10kNZ but I was told some other battery options could be out later this year.

• PRO
    Envirotecture
    7 anni fa

Hi Barbara

You will find that most reputable PV module manufacturers produce information on the panel power production; most of them will still produce 80-90% of the rated output after 25 years. There is much anecdotal evidence that panels keep on working albeit at slightly reduced output for decades.

On your hot water issue. Consider installing a heat ump hot water system (Sanden is currently a very very good brand). It will run off your PV system and be cheaper to install than a evac tube system.

• Barbara Dunstan
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

@Envirotecture,

Thankyou for your comments.

I'm pleased that even with anecdotal evidence, that solar systems will last longer than thought. Makes the idea of adding solar far more reasonable. Not contemplating any solar power for the moment, funds simply wouldn't stretch that far but at least we now know it is well worth it in the future!!

Have no choice about the heat pump, our energy rating states solar with electric backup but will speak to our building inspector for options, as he has the final say what will be permitted.

Cheers,

Barbara

• Sina Nova
    7 anni fa

Given the electricity prices in SA are the highest, I would invest. However like most here, I think in 5 years time there will be more affordable ones on the market, possibly a quarter of the size.

• scapism
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Have a look at the panel systems that can be incorporated into the tile roof - Monier and at least 1 other company supplies them. Gives a far neater roof "look" and line with all the benefits

• louiseacherry81
    7 anni fa

We have put down a deposit on a LG battery through a local bulk-buy. It is unlikely to save us enough to pay for itself, but will be awesome anyway.

Scapism, tractile is the other solar tile. If we were doing a new build I would love to have building integrated PV.

• Hilde Gard
    7 anni fa

Awesomeness beats return on investment for me too! 8-)

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".