Houzz Logo Print
saoirseduvivie

Help needed: Boring Bedroom

Hi, I recently painted and made new blinds but now my colours are very dull!! Need to inject to life into this spare bedroom. Please help with ideas

Commenti (17)

• PRO
    LuxDeco
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Hi Saoriseduvivie,

We've recently written an article about injecting colour and life into bedrooms. Discover 15 perfect bedroom colour schemes which attest that, whether punchy accent colours or tonal single-shade palettes, hopefully one will inspire you!

https://www.luxdeco.com/styleguide/perfect-bedroom-colour-schemes-interior-design/

Good luck, LD

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato LuxDeco
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 anni fa

It looks like you are missing some accessories there? Some lamps, wall art and maybe a new light fitting would make all the difference in this space.

Alternatively try another layer on the windows by adding some floor length sheer curtains and a throw on the bed.

By adding layers to your design you will add depth and interest and the scheme can come to life.

Good luck and keep us posted. If you need any further help feel free to drop us a message.

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato Create Perfect
  • saoirseduvivie
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thank you all so much for the advise. This is where I have got to. I have bought some white voiles but still undecided whether to use them?
    I will get a chair to go in the space by the first window when budget allows.

I am now wondering what I could do to the wall in between the windows, it looks a bit bare...
  • minnie101
    7 anni fa

Wow that was quick! It looks lovely. I don't think voiles would hang properly with the bedside cabinet and they would be changing the look of the room IMO. Perhaps a mirror between the windows? I still think faux flowers would look lovely somewhere and perhaps a small lidded candle from where you got your throw :)

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato minnie101
  • Helen C
    7 anni fa
    Love the transformation! I've nothing to add, I'm rubbish at accessorising....Minnie would you like to come and finish off my house with your fabulous accessorising skills!
  • PRO
    FrithRugs
    7 anni fa

Looks really nice but perhaps you need an injection of colour? You could select a colour you like and then perhaps use it in the blinds and on the cushions on the bed. Pull the whole look together with a rug at the end of the bed. Perhaps a mustard or terracotta shade would work.

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato FrithRugs
  • PRO
    Anonymous
    7 anni fa

Hi saoriseduvivie,

Just reading up on your dilemma, my first instinctive thoughts are to put a sculptured piece of art or a bespoke piece of artwork between the two windows, something in harmony with the colour theme and something with texture difference or the illusion of texture.

All the best with whatever you decide to do.

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato Anonymous
  • PRO
    Phipps Building Ltd
    7 anni fa

Hi saoriseduvivie,

Although some one has neutralised this room

My idea would be to change the radiator to an upright glass panel radiator, one it would get rid of the standard radiator and it will also make it a great feature to the room, then that should leave you with the ability to dress the room with a more vibrant colour, that would then be easily changeable if you have a change of heart in a few years. IE feature colour or paper to end wall with new bed spread and a great feature light fitting ETC

or you could install French doors to left hand window and create a Juliet balcony to let more light in to the room !

Good luck with your project

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato Phipps Building Ltd
  • PRO
    FineArtSeen
    7 anni fa

Hi saoirseduvivie,

I would recommend adding a bright original painting to add some colour into your spare room.

I have enclosed some examples of what I feel might work.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any further help.

Many thanks,

Summer

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato FineArtSeen
  • PRO
    Marie Latif (ARTastic)
    7 anni fa

Hi

The room is very angular a rectangle room with clean cut lines and clean plain flat tones. I look at this room and keep thinking beach . It looks a very calm room so gives me the impression of somewhere to retreat to after a day at the beach. Obviously that would not be the case but how exciting to bring the beach to this room. A nice relaxing view of the beach a total paradise room. If a big mural is too much then you could use the idea almost like a watercolour wash that flows past the windows ( not painting the windows) or use the colour theme blues and yellows with a stylistic curve line or simply find a piece of artwork in these colours and place between the windows. I would also consider adding a couple of accessories in these colours maybe cushions and even a swag voile which goes over both the 2 windows with the capacity to dip in between the 2. You could even have a radiator cover or shelf where you could place a nice vase and inject some colour with a large statement bouquet of flowers. If you want to keep the room more subtle ( without a splash of colour then i would echo the colour and texture of the bed throw you could find a nice wallpaper like a damask styling or something with a metallic tone and cut out something or collage several pieces frame it to make your own unique wall art.

These are some ways I can see the room developing I hope I've given some inspiration to you

I hope you find the right solution for yourself good luck and look forward to seeing pictures of the finished room.

Enjoy

Regards Marie.

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato Marie Latif (ARTastic)
  • User
    7 anni fa
    Just a few accessories and large cushions with A beautiful colourful painting above the bed would complete the room nicely. Take a look at http://www.kusum.me/ for ready-to-hang one-off original hand painted artwork or email me for bespoke artwork to suit your requirements.
    saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato User
  • Jo Adamou
    7 anni fa

I think I think you need a big, fabulous mirror on the wall between the windows at it will give the illusion of extra width to the room. Why not find one in a charity shop or auction and paint it in a slightly darker colour for a bit of contrast? I've found Autentico chalk paints work really well and are easier to work with than Annie Sloane (which is important for someone like me who's a bit useless with a paint brush!). Otherwise it looks lovely now you've added some finishing touches!

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato Jo Adamou
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 anni fa

Wow, what a transformation by adding those small touches, great
    job you!

I would try and go for
    the voiles if it can work with the bedsides. It will soften the space, give a
    warmer and more welcoming feel which is important for a bedroom, and if they
    are floor length it will make the room feel taller and grander which I think would
    really help the space. If you are not comfortable or in doubt then obviously do
    what feels right to you. You could find a temporary way of hanging them for a
    few days and see how you feel about them before you make a decision.

You definitely need
    something between the windows. The mirror up-cycle is a great idea and would
    help make the space feel a little lighter. Being lit from both sides by the
    windows and the lighting above means you should also get a fairly good image
    back too!.. Also important in a bedroom.

Alternatively I would
    go for a piece of art work in the space. A bedroom is a personal space where
    you need to feel comfortable and relaxed so take your time and get a piece that
    really speaks to you rather than trying to match it to anything particular.

Well done again and I
    look forward to seeing the final room.

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato Create Perfect
  • gilliifer
    7 anni fa

I agree. Art or a completely over the top opulent mirror

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato gilliifer
  • eibhlinnidulaing
    7 anni fa

What about putting on a radiator cover this will give a slim shelf to put a mirror on, would be useful.

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato eibhlinnidulaing
  • PRO
    Konvalina Design Studio
    7 anni fa

Agreed about artwork fitted to the space between the windows. You seem to have some framed photographs at the back, so perhaps large scale photograph would be a great addition in terms of design and colour.

PM if you would like some suggestions.

With best wishes

Best Friend · Maggiori informazioni

"Petit Mort" Photography on Dibond · Maggiori informazioni

"Untitled" Photography on Dibond · Maggiori informazioni

"LIFE" Photography on Dibond · Maggiori informazioni

saoirseduvivie ha ringraziato Konvalina Design Studio
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".