Houzz Logo Print
shenvalleytrans

To put shutters on our new farmhouse or no?

Trying to decide whether to add shutters or not? We like the board and batten shutters but would they cover too much of the fiber cement siding? If yes, what color would you suggest? thanks

Commenti (11)

• shenvalleytrans
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Matte black metal porch roof with charcoal shingles.
  • loudon1
    8 anni fa
    I think shutters would look beautiful! Gorgeous house!
    shenvalleytrans ha ringraziato loudon1
  • Jillian - Interior design student
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Shutters have a great historical tradition. They were used for safety and to keep out bad weather. Today shutters have become a symbol of a quaint cottage or are used simply to dress up a house. By remembering shutters' original purpose, you can use them effectively to give a house real pop and appeal.

What's bad: In modern decorative applications, shutters are often screwed to the wall and the wrong size to fit inside the window, as they would have historically. They also don't match the window's width properly, looking misplaced and mis-measured.

What's good: Shutters originally functioned by closing over the window. This meant the shutter hung on hinges and swung in and out, with some kind of shutter dog to hold it against the house when not in use. Paneled shutters were often used on the first floor for better security and louvered shutters upstairs for better ventilation. These details can give new houses a sense of authenticity.

What's best: The right hardware can make all the difference. Strap hinges, shutter dogs, and even hold backs (basically a long hook and eye that can keep an open shutter against the house) — even if they aren't used — can give a house a great feel.

shenvalleytrans ha ringraziato Jillian - Interior design student
  • kathleen currie
    8 anni fa

I like the contrast of black shutters with the white windows and would suggest carrying it to the garage door....perhaps with an octagon 'vent' in the gable peak or a small arched window?

shenvalleytrans ha ringraziato kathleen currie
  • PRO
    Designs by Vincenza Interiors, Inc
    8 anni fa
    Essential, your home may have the essence of a farm house on the inside, but does not resemble one on the outside. You've done a lovely job selecting trending facade picks, but it has enough going on without adding shutters. However, I am assuming from the picture that you are trying to decide on how to complete the columns. Possibly, beef those up a bit with faux stone post covers, or miter crown molding flush with the ceiling & add vertical & horizontal decorative molding, then paint! Great job!
    shenvalleytrans ha ringraziato Designs by Vincenza Interiors, Inc
  • User
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

There is no way to get appropriate sized shutters onto that house. It would look really bad to have fake skinny slivers next to those double windows. The central rock needs to go as well. It's totally inappropriate. It needs to be sided. Same with the beltline around the garage. Side it. Simple is much better.

shenvalleytrans ha ringraziato User
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 anni fa

No shutters, but maybe beef up the trim around the windows so there is a better contrast next to the siding.

• Deb P
    8 anni fa
    Where can I find this shower curtain?
  • someoneone
    8 anni fa
    I think it doesn't need shutters. It has a lot of interest without them.
    shenvalleytrans ha ringraziato someoneone
  • shenvalleytrans
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Thanks to all for your input. We have decided to not put shutters on.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".