Houzz Logo Print
webuser_429788

Over sofa light... I'm not feeling it!

Evening, my room isn't working out how I planned it, I really don't like these balls! The lighting effect is awful and they look wrong. There's a fireplace to be fitted, wall lights and some more furniture to go in... But I've stopped in my tracks. I need something different and its thrown me! I'm stuck! Please no one suggest a chandelier.

Commenti (22)

• Laura Betchette
    8 anni fa
    Hey Katie :) I'm no expert in design (look at my posts for an example!!!) but maybe they're a little too big for the room?????
  • PRO
    Kusten Vorland
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Thanks, do you have an alternative suggestion?
  • Laura Betchette
    8 anni fa
    Could you do something which may have smoked glass?? That may look nice :)
  • Jonathan
    8 anni fa
    I like the ceiling fitting but don't think it should be your only light source. I would get a couple of table lights and then put the ceiling light on a dimmer. I think the softer effect is probably what you are looking for.
  • Oriolus Oriolus
    8 anni fa
    I agree they look too big for the space and the bulbs inside look too bright. I like the design though, can you get smaller versions? From the photo it looks like you have two dark and one light - might look better with one mid tone one. You could spray paint if they don't sell them.
  • mvc85
    8 anni fa

Nah personally I think your answer is the wall colour on your current dark looks-like-black-on-the-picture wall. Because coupled with your dark carpet and dark feature wall, your beautiful black and white light fitting is not popping. In fact, it's blending in and making the whole room gloomy. 2 options depending on how adventurous you want to go or the mood you want to invoke in the room; (1) change the colour of the whole feature wall to something else (as long as it's not dark or not pale/white), or, (2) (which I recommend) is a cool stencil design on the feature wall colour matching or a shade of the colour of your red sofa. Again I'm not sure how adventurous you are but if a twirly/scrolly design would be a feminine touch to the masculine colour scheme and would look fantastic on a dark wall background. Or...(to be even more bold), stencil in a faded version of the pattern for a more faded glamour industrial look instead. A faded version would merely be doing a ragging technique instead of painting it with a brush. The uneven distribution of paint from the ragging technique gives the faded effect. Don't forget to dilute it a bit if you want a more faded version. This could look really romantic with the fire going and the glow from the fire casting shadows on the faded stencil rather than a in-your-face design when you're trying to relax staring at the fire.

• cavgirl
    8 anni fa
    I notice your other visible furniture is a modern twist on the traditional (sofa, dresser). Perhaps do the same with the light? (and it doesn't have to be a chandelier although I think a modern glass or colourful one would look great). Your sofa looks luxurious; I think you either have to play up to that or contrast with it with rustic/industrial as suggested above.
  • PRO
    Max Marshall Design
    8 anni fa
    Maybe something Scandinavian??
  • Pat Auld
    8 anni fa
    Next have got some nice lights.
  • Pat Auld
    8 anni fa
    Forgot photo!
  • chloehall94
    8 anni fa

Is the sofa staying? and the cabinets? need to know what's staying and what's going first to see what light would suit that room!

• PRO
    Kusten Vorland
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Hi, everything in that room is new and staying. We haven't lived in it yet or finished it. The light isn't too big for the room, it's a 7m X 9m room so if anything it's quite lost. I think my photography has shown a strange angle! The one dark feature wall is wallpaper and when this went up, I got in from work, it was the first time I thought the room looked snug. It's a vast open square! The floor is walnut floor boards. I just want a new light to hang over the sofa, I'll take a look in Next- thank you.
  • PRO
    Kusten Vorland
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    I've sprayed these shades, they were all cream. Worked really well actually! It's just I don't like them!
  • PRO
    Kusten Vorland
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Photos of different angles in the room
  • minnie101
    8 anni fa

Hi. there looks to be 4 sets of pendant lights and the ŵall lights are going on the wallpaper ŵall? If so I might do away with this pendant and maybe think about downlights if needed as I think I can see a couple already. Also use table lamps as said before and use a rug to zone this area. If there's room you could also add a console behind the table

• Lauren
    8 anni fa

Think I agree with minnie on this, there's already too many different pendant lights. Stick with standard lamps - I'm not sure you'd really want a light directly overhead when sitting down anyway, surely it would be quite distracting?

• PRO
    Kusten Vorland
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Hi, yes wall lights on the wallpaper wall. Each of the pendants are in their own zones so we won't have a ceiling light for this 1/4 of the room if we do away with it. Let me know if you find anything that might work.
  • PRO
    Kusten Vorland
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    The red shade in the second set of photos is a floor lamp btw :)
  • gd11
    8 anni fa

What about something similar to these?

• PRO
    Lake View Properties
    8 anni fa
    Where are the 3 black lights from?
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".