Houzz Logo Print
webuser_9698436

Outdated exterior and no curb appeal...help!

Cara DLH
8 anni fa

I think my house needs more help than just new paint colors but I don't know where to begin! The white trim feels so dated to me, as does the horizontal planking effect. Can anyone help me find suggestions for modernizing the exterior?

Commenti (19)

• Cara DLH
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thank you Patricia, I love this modern look. As a general lay person I have no idea what is possible as far as exterior upgrades without a full remodel goes. Thank you for offering your expert advice!

• Betty Stoddard
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Patricia's ideas are really most appealing & stimulating! Meanwhile, if the budget needs to be 'contained', paint could be your answer. And without using the contrasting color on the now-white portions.

Monochromatic with a splash or two of brilliance (or contrast) could be most effective. Think Patricia's dark gray, for example, with bright ceramic pots of 'sunshine yellow' for that color splash!

Evergreen shrubs, carefully chosen for shape, texture and height would happily live in these pots year-round. Selected pot/s could even go to on the left entrance to your garage--bringing that area some visual softness and probably in darker colored pots. The pots with bright hue would begin, maybe, with one on edge of existing walk, and group others on between walk and sitting area. An odd number of pots would be ideal--as you probably already well-know.

I suggest building up the yard to the right of the existing stairs...your big-box stores provide inexpensive ways to do this. You could put mulch on this expanded built-up area. Or lay bricks in an interesting pattern. Or a few, only a few, pieces of slate. [I've used each of these depending on where & what results I wanted.]

Study some ideas in magazines, visit your library or from Houzz find the look which draws your interest. Add some low-growing shrubs next to the lower steps for curb-appeal and safety.

Now back to your newly built-up, flat front yard. A great place for seating...or as Patricia does, for a table and chairs. Think about your colors here. It's amazing what today's spray paint does!!!!!! ;)

Maybe dark chairs with sunshine yellow pillows? Or perhaps your favorite color is French blue...go with French blue pots and similar blue cushions. Whatever you do ... enjoy the process and results!

Cara DLH ha ringraziato Betty Stoddard
  • grapefruit1_ar
    8 anni fa

I would repaint as suggested, and then get some spiffy new house numbers and light fixtures. But....the biggest impact would be attained through landscaping! I would get new steps/pathway that would be incorporated with the planting areas. Professional advice would pay off in this case.

Cara DLH ha ringraziato grapefruit1_ar
  • Betty Stoddard
    8 anni fa

Thanks for mentioning the house numbers. Agree 100%+. At the current size I'd not even seen them! Agree, too, about landscaping. Budget was my design choice--so the new house numbers will fit in nicely!

• PRO
    CertainTeed
    8 anni fa
    You could update the fence if you'd like. Let me know if you need assistance.
    Cara DLH ha ringraziato CertainTeed
  • havingfun
    8 anni fa

Here is a house where the stucco or brick portion is dark gray, like patricia said. is your siding stained, painted?
    The Model Home · Maggiori informazioni
    see how important the lighting is?
    Creative Outdoor Solutions · Maggiori informazioni
    the plants around and through the off kilter steps. the lit house numbers
    Hillsborough 2 · Maggiori informazioni
    see the different directions of the materials, very important in modern arch. note the garage, the tall lights, the belly bands on the supports, the dark painting of the roof trim.

Cara DLH ha ringraziato havingfun
  • havingfun
    8 anni fa

As you see white can be used too, it is the contrast. they would play up the white trim you have, but not always in white.

#ImpactOfDesign · Maggiori informazioni
    just so you see this is a gray with yellow. Note the color block on the fence. note the tall containers. you might want round balls or tall grass, give you more vertical.

Cara DLH ha ringraziato havingfun
  • User
    8 anni fa

I wouldn't change the horizontal planking, it's similar to ship lap which is very in style. The house has multiple roof lines and think landscaping could draw the attention more vertically. I would install flower boxes on both windows - the upper and lower. This could bring both sides into balance. Benjamin Moore's Darryl Carter paints below, I can see the soft taupe for the exterior. I wouldn't highlight the trim with a dramatically different color - I think the facade will be more cohesive, less complicated. I'd remove the cement planks to the front door with brick pavers that flow from the driveway to the front door. the curve in this would give a softer look vs. the angles of the facade. On the right side of the house I'd put a redbud tree, which grows in a vase shape. Under it I would put boxwoods in a curvilinear shape which would draw the eye to the less dominate side of the house - the right.

Cara DLH ha ringraziato User
  • Cara DLH
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thank you all so much for taking the time to offer such great suggestions! I really appreciate all of your advice!

• Cara DLH
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Also, just another note, this this a suburban area where all of the houses were built at the same time and look the same (late 80's). Is it a negative thing for the value of the neighborhood to have one standout modernized house right in the middle of the block? Thoughts?

• csch
    8 anni fa

Hopefully your neighbors would be inspired to update their houses too, increasing the value for everyone

• km kane
    8 anni fa
    The photo examples you've been given are all very modern, which are gorgeous, but unfortunately don't match the style of the house. I agree that color is your friend, in that painting the vertical/side trim the same color as the house will do the trick. Highlighting the front door and entry would help. Plus add some landscaping as advised. A trellis above the garage would diminish the "garage house" feel as well.
  • Betty Stoddard
    8 anni fa

Cara, do let us know what you decide...and post photos along the way! Especially of the results!!! Best to you...

• Heidi Dyke
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

I wouldn't say it has NO curb appeal, but it sounds like it's definitely not your taste. I think you can safely lean your treatments toward modern and the architecture will keep you from going too far away from the neighbors.
    The house numbers, for sure, would be a good place to start adding modern (and practical) flair. If it were up to me, I'd position them over the garage in a large format.

I like the entry path. It already has that modern look to it, so how about playing it up? I'm thinking low, angular planters (in metal) or path lights with a modern feel to them. The light in the picture would be eye-catching even during the day.

Solid Copper Low Voltage Path Light, PW18-RC · Maggiori informazioni

Moving up in the budget, that garage door. With its size and placement, it is the de facto focal point of the facade. The inspirational photos you've seen so far nearly always have sections of siding that are a contrasting material, usually stained wood. If your siding is still in good shape, why not try it on the garage door instead?

Cowart Door - Mahogany Framed Full View Door · Maggiori informazioni

Modern Wood & Glass Garage Door · Maggiori informazioni
    (If you go this route, I think you'd need to remove the clipped corner trim around the garage door.)

This is another good place to add lights, either side of the garage door. I think industrial or modern would work, as long as it pops a little (and ties with the path lights, if using).

Shelter LED Outdoor Wall Sconce, Black · Maggiori informazioni

Millennium Lighting RWHWB8-SB R Series Outdoor Wall Light In Satin Black · Maggiori informazioni

Finally, I'm going to point at your windows. A major feature of most modern houses is the plethora of windows, but this house has just two facing the street. I suggest emphasizing these windows with beefier trim (not ornate trim, just beefy), removing the screens (for curb appeal, not for life), and if possible, changing the faux divided light windows for plain glass.
    I'll leave the landscaping ideas to better judgement than mine. Good luck with all!

• PRO
    EcoHaven
    8 anni fa

LOVE that color palette puremichigan put together, which I'm thinking could pair up nicely to Heidi Dyke's finds of the copper path light and wall sconces! The result would be reminiscent of a "modern Prairie" style (the roofline of the house makes me think Prairie, anybody else getting that vibe?) Cara, are those mullions (window grids) on the first floor window removable? If so, the windows would match up better, and get that window aligned with the contemporariness of the rest of the house. Would love to see that funky cutout around the garage door go, too! If it's not feasible, perhaps paint the garage door, trim and that little area above the door the same color (visually turning it all into the garage door, if that makes sense.)

• Cara DLH
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Hello everyone, this house is 20 days away from officially being ours and I'm gathering ideas now. The first job will be redoing the roof, adding solar ports and skylights in the interior (after the rains are done). Then, we need to reprint the exterior and work on the siding because there are several areas of water damage that could lead to dry rot.
    After the roof and exterior, we need to remodel the kitchen and bathrooms. Many years of work ahead, but I am SO excited!
  • PRO
    Clopay
    8 anni fa

Definitely think upgrading the appearance of your garage door will have a huge impact. There are so many options that will fit your home style. Check out the Modern Steel Collection, the Canyon Ridge Collection and the Gallery Collection on the Clopay garage door website. http://www.clopaydoor.com/residential-garage-doors Use the Door Imagination System http://www.clopaydoor.com/door-imagination-system to upload a photo of your home and try on different door styles until you find a perfect match. Depending on the feel you want your home to have you could go with a sleek flush panel door, or a carriage house door. I would consider the Ultra-Grain faux wood finish to add instant warmth, contrast and character. It is available on all of these door models. All are low-maintenance insulated steel garage door model. Professional dealers are located throughout the US and Canada. http://www.clopaydoor.com/where-to-buy

Cara DLH ha ringraziato Clopay
  • PRO
    BEVOLO GAS & ELECTRIC LIGHTS
    8 anni fa

Hi! You may think about installing some modern looking light fixtures. We are the oldest copper lighting company in the U.S. and hand make every one of our
    fixtures in New Orleans, LA. We have hundreds of different lighting
    combinations to suit your needs and a complimentary design service. From your
    picture, the space above the garage could fit a Warehouse District Light or possibly 2 Modernist side lights. Simply email us plans or pictures of your space and we will be happy to
    make style and scale recommendations.

Cara DLH ha ringraziato BEVOLO GAS & ELECTRIC LIGHTS
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".