Houzz Logo Print
jarywoods

I need advice regarding this little kitchen.

8 anni fa
I love warm colors and the idea of 'marrying' all rooms with flow. My home has a very strange floor plan so flow is out of the question, it seems. My kitchen and sitting room are all in one room. Everything is fighting each other in terms of color and design. Where should I begin???

Commenti (30)

• PRO
    8 anni fa

Your furnishings seem fine. I think if you remodeled the kitchen much of the discontent you are feeling would be gone.

• 8 anni fa
    I'm wondering if removing the island may improve space and placing a small farm table in its place would help. It's difficult getting around this island and yes, I would like to update the cabinets. Your age of them is correct. Can I do that on a $1,000 budget? Perhaps a DIY project? I agree about the frig. We are going to replace it. We live in the country so I want bring outside colors inside.
  • PRO
    8 anni fa

1K sounds like too tight of a budget for a full kitchen remodel, even if you went with semi-custom (in-stock) cabinets at a Lowe's or Home Depot. You may want to wait and do it right the first time around until your budget meets your design taste. Easier said than done, I'm sure. ;)

• 8 anni fa
    Glo, do you think in the meantime I can do something myself? Paint perhaps?
  • PRO
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

One of the main things that dates the kitchen is the two-tone cabinets. I'm sure if you painted them a solid color (similar to the cabinet door color) it would do wonders for the space! Also, get plug covers that blend in with your backsplash. It's great that you already have such nice pendant lights (and stove, dishwasher) too, so that's a plus. It's hard to tell in the photo but I'd also replace the cabinet pulls to something more your style, that still flows with the kitchen cabinets (after painted). Hope this helps!

• 8 anni fa

Again, would help to know what you don't like. You could warm up the paint color, going a little more golden than the current shade, or take it more overtly green in service of bringing the woodsy feel indoors. But honestly, I don't see what you think is fighting each other, or what you would want to paint. It's just the kitchen, and I think you'd be hard put to make that feel new for under 20k. Maybe a nice new high-necked kitchen sink would at least feel like a functional upgrade!

And yes, I can date those cabinets very well. I have a matching set (in almond) in my own kitchen, at least for another couple of months... :))

• 8 anni fa
    acm ... I think I need to focus on the cabinets right now. The two tone is not working for me. I'm in a quandary as to what my options are because they seem solid with great hardware and utilizing them with some kind of update ... Paint ... Stain ... Something, is what I would like to do instead of buying new cabinets.
    I'm also considering removing the island and replacing with a little farm table.
    What are you replacing your two tone cabinets with?
  • 8 anni fa

So, $1000 to spend? The thing that jumps out at me is the ceiling. Is that textured or just painted? If texture, you are stuck with it, otherwise paint it. Try removing the island and replacing with a funky kitchen table set on a colourful indoor/outdoor area rug, maybe instead of painting the cabinets, remove some doors and have open shelving. Change the pendants, get some colour and decor in there and you are done till you can afford to get what you really want.

• 8 anni fa
    mramsey, we have $1,000 for cabinets and additional $3,000 for the rest of the adjoining room. So maybe I need to put it all into cabinets. When you say open shelving, do you mean just taking the doors off?
    I love your idea about a funky table.
  • 8 anni fa
    Unfortunately, this ceiling is textured so it looks like I'm stuck with it.
  • 8 anni fa
    What colors and decor would you recommend?
  • 8 anni fa

What aspects of the kitchen do you like the best? the least?

Does the flooring run under the island? If not, do you have extra flooring, presumably tiles?

• 8 anni fa
    apple_pie_order ...
    The kitchen cabinets are what I like least. I want to update them instead of replacing them. If I can keep them with paint, I'd like to do that but I wonder if painted cabinets of this style would look awful
    and if it's worth the effort.
    I have extra tiles if the island comes up.
    I also would like to paint this area with a warm tone. I know grays are popular ... Not crazy about it but would be willing to try
    The color.
  • 8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Have you thought about simply replacing the doors and drawer fronts in your kitchen? It's a much less expensive solution (the "boxes" stay). I did this in my former house and really loved the updated look. While I had a cabinet maker do the work, I know you can also just order made-to-size doors and drawer fronts in the style you prefer. And I would never give up the storage that an island provides in a kitchen of your size -- even though I love the idea of a farm table. (PS, I really like your cat -- hope he/she is as sweet as it looks)

Here is one company that is very highly reviewed that might be a place to start: http://fastcabinetdoors.com (no, I am not affiliated with them in any way)

• 8 anni fa

Re the ceiling, a good mudman could give you a nice, new, clean surface -- I think it would do wonders for the look of the space. You could have a few recessed lights added to the family room prior to the mudding (love those new soft LEDs...no more hideous bug eyes).

• 8 anni fa
    sjb2814,

That is a great idea about redoing the ceiling. It makes a lot of difference, huh? If so, I will do that.
    Also purchasing new doors is something I haven't thought about. Do you think painting is out of the question?
    Our cat Bennie ... Yes, he is a rascal. He loves to converse with our rooster every morning through the window.
  • 8 anni fa

Take one of your doors down to a reputable paint store and see what they say about painting. Almost anything can be painted with the right primer and paints - but what works on one surface doesn't always work on another. If you are handy I have seen some cabinet make over tutorials using cabinets like yours. Google "laminate cabinet makeover".

• 8 anni fa
    jhmarie, yes. That sounds like a great idea!
  • 8 anni fa

I do think you will be unhappy with the result of painting those doors and drawer fronts. Not that they are "pigs" - they're just really dated -- but it would be akin to the old "lipstick on a pig." (To my lasting shame, I actually installed those same doors in my 1921 Chicago American Four Square house....ughhhhhh...1989...thought I was so hip.) If you like the look of painted cabinets (I do), you've got it made, because you can paint the surfaces of the boxes that show (like either side of the window, in the box where you have your little tv, etc.) and it will all look cohesive.

The ceiling makes a huge difference. It's a little Twilight Zone feeling, and contributes to the dated look.

I think that rooster is taunting Bennie! Your ducks looked a little chilly too :)

• 8 anni fa

And jhmarie, while it can be done, it's often a lot of work for a poor result. See this post from another similar question:

• 8 anni fa
    sjb2814, I never imagined that a ceiling would make this much of a difference. Wow.
    I think painting them would be akin to "putting lipstick on a pig also." :)

So ceiling will be resolved.

1. Hire a mud man.
    2. Look for new doors for kitchen cabinets.
    3. Put in recessed lighting in sitting room.

Now I have to decide on kitchen wall and sitting room colors .... and if I want to break up the love affair between Bennie and Roosty.
  • 8 anni fa
    ... And thank you.
  • 8 anni fa
    There are also lots of ideas on Pinterest on makeovers to those style of cabinets. I've included a couple of photos that shows examples of painting them white, and another where moulding was added to existing doors.
    I agree with comments above regarding updating ceiling, and I think your space reads rather dark and monotone. When I think country home, I think light and fresh like the photo below. If you decide on painting or new doors for your cabinets, I think the two tone look would look great in your space. Something in a blue/green shade would work well with the brown floors. I also suggest replacing mirrors behind sofa with some art to add colour there, and lower to about 6" above sofa back.
    White Kitchen Cabinets | Shaker Door Style | CliqStudios · Maggiori informazioni
  • PRO
    8 anni fa

@sjb2814 that's a great idea about only replacing the doors! Seems like that would be right in line with your budget of 1K too, leaving you with some money left over *hopefully* to add a few new features.

• 8 anni fa
    What a fun and rewarding dilemma. I love the picture of your cat and your rooster. Hysterical. I'd look into new doors for the cabinets and recessed lights in the new ceiling. I wish all people who write in for advice were as open to suggestion as you are. Thanks.
  • 8 anni fa

I think it all looks okay except for the cabinets and fridge. And NO, don't remove the island. I can never live without one again. Why on earth would you give that up? They are so functional for storage and prep and it looks like you use yours as a bar as well. If you put a table there, that's just something else you have to walk around with no storage. No. Keep the island and try painting the cabinets. If you don't like them, then you can get new ones. I also don't think that plug covers need to blend in. In my house, they had them all painted to match the walls, and I took them all off and put on stainless ones to go with the appliances.

• PRO
    8 anni fa

An easy fix that makes a big statement would be to change the cabinets and the lighting. The cabinets just need an updated shape but there are a lot of great, affordable options out there. An area rug would be nice in the living area to add some depth and warmth to the space. You could do something like our Round Flush Mount in the living area. It has a lot of look but would still fit the space. I would suggest a Glass Pendant similar to the one we make below over the island. You may be able to just use one larger one if you are willing to move the electrical. Good luck!

• 8 anni fa

Lots of great ideas here on this thread! I think new doors on the existing cupboards and/or replacing some with open shelving will make a big difference. A small funky kitchen table with painted chairs (see below) paired with a kitchen cart with some new pendants and

beach vintage · Maggiori informazioni

interesting things on the table will draw attention away from the old cabinets.I notice that you have chosen warm accents in your living room to accent your earth toned rooms- rusts, persimmon, dark.burnt orange with some deep blues would work.

See below for inspiration (all from the HOUZZ store and inexpensive...you could likely do better sourcing tables/accents from 2nd hand stores)

Country & Cottage Farmhouse Dining Tables · Maggiori informazioni

Roots Rack Industrial Kitchen Cart · Maggiori informazioni

Kichler Lighting Brinley Rustic / Lodge / Log Cabin Country Pendant Light X-IN87 · Maggiori informazioni

Wine Barrel Ring Pendant Light, Large Open · Maggiori informazioni

Warm up your Holiday Season with a Hot Drink Station · Maggiori informazioni

• 6 anni fa

I know this is an old post but I do want to say that if you can't paint over the cabinets without it looking bad, you could remove all doors and get replacements doors of any material and color..... take old door to Lowe's or similar store. Or even those stores that sell unfinished wood furniture. If ceiling was popcorn I would remove it but that ceiling is not bad. The floor should be changed if at all possible... needs to be lighter as do the walls. The room is too dark. New pendant lights and that's about all you can do for $1000.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".