Houzz Logo Print
martinez_martinez

Need help with my teen son's room!!!!!!

The room is only 10 by 12. On one side there is a 6 feet sliding door. How do I decorate it!!

Commenti (17)

• PRO
    K Interior Design Group
    8 anni fa

Pictures would help.

Where is the closet? What's his style? Hobbies? Needs? This will help determine what to do. Say, he likes music, or needs a desk for homework, etc.. Any additional info would help us help you..

• Martinez Martinez
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thanks for responding. My son likes chess, different memorabilia from around the world, music instruments, plants, birds.....nature,books, Legos

• apple_pie_order
    8 anni fa

How old is the teenager? The first thing to do would be to help him pack up the things he has outgrown. Help him choose what to save and what to donate.

• Martinez Martinez
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

He is 13.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 anni fa

Reall need his input at that age but I agree before anything else get rid of stuff he no longer uses or likes then find out what colors he likes maybe let him choose bedding for a good start organize the closet to hold all his clothes so he has more useable floor space that chest looks like an old youth bed so that would be the first thing to go IMO a nice twin bed against a wall with big pillows so it acts like a daybed a couple of bean bag chairs for friends to sit on Most kids i know do their homework sitting on the bed so a desk would not be something i would do unless he wants one.If he has lots of sleepovers maybe a trundle bed . There are some really fun decals to put on walls our boys loved a huge cork board to stick all kinds of stuff and not damage the walls.

• PRO
    K Interior Design Group
    8 anni fa

Hi Martinez,

Based on your pictures, and dimensions you provided, it looks to me like this is (more or less) the rooms layout. If I take into consideration, that most home have door widths ranging from 24-36" wide (depending on when the house was built) I made an assumption and went with the largest, as it's a worse case scenario. I have drawn up a little space plan to help you maximize the rooms potential. You could do a full size bed, a corner desk 24" deep, and shelves, or dressers not exceeding 16' depth spanning the rest of the wall width.

For his trophies, you could do ledges right in front of the door opening, as I did for one of my clients daughters'

here's the example.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to reach out to us, should you need to hire professional help.

Regards,

Keren Aydogan

Martinez Martinez ha ringraziato K Interior Design Group
  • Martinez Martinez
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I just saw your post as it was in the junk mail folder. I am so sorry for that.I love your idea. But my son's room quite doesn't look like the layout you are thinking. I will make a sketch and post it for your information. I was thinking to extend the room another 4-5 feet as it is very small. Please advice as I really appreciate your input.Thanks

Hema

• PRO
    K Interior Design Group
    8 anni fa
    Sure, Hema. Just sketch it out and I can take a look.
  • Martinez Martinez
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thank you for looking into it. This is the sketch my husband drew.

• auntthelma
    8 anni fa

Have you looked at loft beds?

• PRO
    Rove Concepts
    8 anni fa

He'll definitely need a desk to work on, for school and the increasing hours of time he will probably grow in to spending in his room - a solid desk chair and lots of shelving will be much appreciated by him! If space permits, a nice lounge chair for reading would probably be well received!

Here's some great inspiration for teen boy bedrooms:
    http://www.tidbitsandtwine.com/teen-boy-bedrooms/

Martinez Martinez ha ringraziato Rove Concepts
  • PRO
    K Interior Design Group
    8 anni fa
    Sorry, meant to write "However, if he's 13, he will soon be transforming from boy to young man, and the novelty of a loft bed will wear off."
    Martinez Martinez ha ringraziato K Interior Design Group
  • Martinez Martinez
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Totally agree with you with the loft bed, I was thinking of a full bed, desk, shelves, a comfortable couch and not look too cluttered.

• Martinez Martinez
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I love your sketch and some great ideas fro Rove Concepts!!!

• havingfun
    8 anni fa

i agree with some good ideas, one thing i disagree with though is the bed. I go with Patricia on this, neither i, my sister, or my son ever used our wonderful desks. I vote for the day bed concept with those little bed trays things, look like a c? I would get a couple of those for drinks chess board, etc. 2nd thing i would bare in mind. at that age i started buying things that would transition into adult hood. I would get at least one bachelors chest. and 1 tall bookcase. then hooks and shelves to display the various interests, including musical instruments.

• classysass
    8 anni fa

I don't think an addition to your home of just a few feet is a worthwhile venture. It is a huge undertaking and a costly one at that. And, consider what it will look like from the exterior of the house. Anyway, small rooms are difficult to decorate for anyone. I had a trundle bed for my son and a bookcase/desk unit on the end wall. I used the cork that Patricia suggested (it comes on a roll and you attach to the wall with adhesive.) Then, he could put up all kinds of things. He did enjoy that. When he was a little older, he wanted to paint his room black so I told him it would be all right except if he started acting weird, I'd paint the whole room pink and he'd have to live in it. He didn't get too weird. He was a teenager, after all.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".