Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

Your best money-saving tips?

Bringing in lunch to work, looking out for offers, buying in bulk - there are many ways to save pennies. We'd love to know - what tricks do you use to save money in your household?

Studio Arhoj Grey Orb Porcelain Moneybank · Maggiori informazioni

Commenti (18)

• Kate Burt
    8 anni fa

I have some friends who empty their small change into a jar each day. Every few months, they have fun counting it all out and regularly have enough to treat themselves to a meal out.

• User
    8 anni fa

I support recycling and upcycling, it can save money and the planet. I make my own washing powder because I like to know what I'm using. I can't stand the synthetic fabric softeners but a little white vinegar in the rinse, softens fabrics and doesn't leave a smell, even better if I can hang the washing outside to dry. If I see double cream reduced but still fresh, I put it in the Kenwood and churn it for butter - the whey from it makes excellent scones.

• pavinia
    8 anni fa

The farmers' market on Sunday ensures I'm equipped for lunches, and a few dinners for the week at minimal expense.

• Stuart
    8 anni fa
    Overpay on your mortgage every month - no matter how small.
    Time your mortgage fix-periods to coincide with the next LTV band.

Unless you have lots of spare time, please don't collect coins!
    It breaks my heart when I see people at the local supermarket emptying a large whisky bottle of coins into one of those Coinstar machines that charge a percentage for the service.
    Even the banks won't count it, you have go away and count it into bags.
  • Stuart
    8 anni fa
    Halve your meat consumption - eat better and healthier
    (...and no I'm not a vegetarian!)
  • gilliifer
    8 anni fa

Coinstar do donate to a charity. That's fine by me

• Benjamin Gwatkin
    8 anni fa
    Not technically money saving but Airbnb is a great way to EARN extra money
  • PRO
    Fisher Tomlin & Bowyer
    8 anni fa
    Taking cuttings from shrubs, potting up self seeded perennials and making my own bamboo canes but best of all making my own compost from kitchen scraps.
  • annarocks123
    8 anni fa
    I only ever but bathroom products when they are on some kind of offer. I have a large cupboard in my bathroom which I keep spares in and when I've only got the current bottle of shampoo, or whatever, left, I look for the deals. This also works for cleaning products; the spring clean is coming, keep an eye out for offers on cleaning products and stock up.
  • iheaton
    8 anni fa
    Love recycling. Before throwing away pair of jeans always thinking what could with them. A shopping bag, for example.
    Also like to restore furniture, my passion is chairs :)
    I am trying to do any work in the house by myself. My slogan is:' If somebody else can, why I cannot!' Especially there are a lot of tutorials on Internet nowadays.
  • k11agl
    8 anni fa
    I rarely buy things that are not reduced it on promotion. And yes, I use credit cards that give cash voucher rewards, join all stores loyalty schemes, spend about five days comparing prices... True that life is too short that's why I make sure I don't waste money on things Tat c be cheaper and save them up, even to overpay mortgage - agree on that one 200%!! It saves you heavens in even just

five years!
  • minnie101
    8 anni fa

I use nectar, rarely for a weekly shop but for money back on retail shopping, flights etc. Some of the bank accounts also offer cash back on household bills. I get a tastecard with my bank account but even if you buy one you recoup your money so quickly. My biggest saving is probably the weekly food shop so planning ahead so if you buy x ingredient, you can then use the next day for something else ie buy a whole chicken, make a curry out if it and the following day make a soup. Or the favourite with the men in my household is make a chilli and then the next day make chilli dogs (not the healthiest meal but a treat once in a while!)

• PRO
    George Quinn
    8 anni fa

DIY.

• Stuart
    2 anni fa

5 year old thread?

• Sonia
    2 anni fa

Spam

• Sonia
    2 anni fa

Martin Lewis is not keen on bitcoins or having his image plastered all over fake ads trying to scams people. Is that even your name????

• PRO
    Swin He
    2 anni fa

Some of our customers install the solar energy storage system in their house, which can help them to save much electricity bill, the system can convert the solar energy into electricity power and store it in the system and also you can sell the energy to the main supplies.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".