Houzz Logo Print
glfjjf

Ceiling fan with light or ceiling fan no light with recessed lights

glfjjf
8 anni fa
Ultima modifica:8 anni fa

We are renovating a newly purchased house. The house was built in 1935 and the bedrooms have sconces with no overhead light. We like having a ceiling fan however we do not find them attractive. Should we remove sconces put recessed lights and ceiling fan - no light or just put a ceiling fan with light?

Commenti (31)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

I would install a plain ceiling fan if needed and use lamps for lighting in the bedrooms. There is no reasonable quality light from fan light kits and the kits are never very attractive.

If you wish to be more period correct, there is this Hunter White CAST IRON ceiling fan.

• PRO
    Touie, Inc.
    8 anni fa

If you really wish to have a ceiling fan, we would suggest recessed lights with just a plain ceiling fan (no light), but the optimal design would be a beautiful pendant at the center of the room with table lamps. Since you are renovating you may want to consider another options

• PRO
    Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
    8 anni fa

I agree with either of the above. No light on the fan.

• classysass
    8 anni fa
    OMG. You've hit upon one of my pet peeves. I hate ceiling fans WITH lights. That's probably why you think they're so ugly. They are. But it's so difficult to find them without the lights. The reason I don't like them is because they try to be two things at once. Either it's a light or it's a lamp. It shouldn't be both. Like a sleeper sofa. Not a good bed nor a good sofa. Regarding your dilemma, I think you should go ahead with just the fan, no lights. Then use table lamps for additional lighting. In a room like a kitchen you could also do recessed lighting but sometimes it's not convenient to have a fan blowing all over. I wouldn't want a fan blowing my papers around or napkins or recipes.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 anni fa

queenvilla, you illustrate my point with your photo.

The light on the fan lowers the height visually of your lovely ceiling and draws the eye to that illuminated glass bowl which provides very little light and certainly poor quality light at that. It doesn't enhance the lovely aspects of the furniture beneath it, and it's not possible to read using this light. It's not even bright enough to clean using that light...............it's just light.

As I look around my office, this small 12 x 15 room has three various types of table lamps to illuminate the room at both high and low levels. Your room could use a narrow lamp on the sideboard, one in the corner to illuminate the plant and probably another table light for the lounge chair. Your current lamp would provide better light with a linen instead of opaque paper shade which directs the light only up and down. Many times people add more and more objects to their rooms to make them interesting, but the room likely only requires better quality lighting.

I'm also very fond of the appropriate use of can lights & wall washer lights in the ceiling and or picture lights to illuminate art. If you wash a wall with a few lights, then the total wall itself becomes the room illumination. Note this area has only the lighting bouncing off the wall.

• User
    8 anni fa

We just installed two new ceiling fans during our whole house reno.....a Big Ass fan in the kitchen (cathedral ceiling), and a Mach Two fan in the bedroom (coffered ceiling). Both have lights. Perhaps could have done without the kitchen light, although it does shine down in one particular spot that the new recessed lights don't quite hit, so it's all good. I don't know how you could live without a light in a bedroom ceiling fan.......mood llighting is fine until you're trying to vacuum or fold laundry on the bed and can't see what you're doing! Lights, I say.....lights!

• Judy Mishkin
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

i only vacuum and fold in daylight hours.

ok, i agree, the lighting in part of my bedroom is atrocious, but ive never, as in never, seen an attractive light kit on a fan, nor have i experienced a light kit which made other than blurry dreary light.

to quote etta james, i'd rather go blind.

i have good lighting by my dresser, good reading light by my bed, i just need to get better lighting in front of my closet where i dress, but a central ceiling fixture wouldnt help that anyway.

• emmarene9
    8 anni fa

Since you are talking about ceiling lights, why would you remove sconces?

• glfjjf
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Emmarene- placement of certain sconces are in the correct places

• User
    8 anni fa
    If you absolutely have to have a ceiling fan, absolutely no light! They are so ugly and nobody wants a huge low light kit in a bedroom. If you must have a ceiling fan there are sleek, less intrusive models on the market. Any good lighting store can source for you. Fanimation makes a less clunky one.
  • teamaltese
    8 anni fa
    Just be aware that if the recessed light is within the sight line of the fan (you can see that the recessed light and fan appear to overlap), you are going to get a strobe effect if the recessed light and fan are on at the same time. So I'd opt for the lighted fan, if your ceilings are high.
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    8 anni fa

If a fan is critical then I recommend a fan without a light in a family room. If you add recessed lights then only them where they will wash walls for art. Table lamps and floor lamps are better task lights and and add more warmth and intimacy to a room. Wall sconces add architectural interest to walls and help spread the light around the room. Add dimmers to all your light fixtures so you can control the light. The only time I recommend a light on a fan is in a bedroom that has no recessed lights.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 anni fa

Recessed lights and Ceiling fan is a bad combination in the same room if not designed properly. You have to make sure that fan blades is far away from the recessed light illuminance cone or you will create a psychedelic effect, it will feel like you at the punk rock concert... seen that happen a few times.

• PRO
    In Style Modern
    8 anni fa

I’d go for ceiling fan without lights.

• PRO
    Hamlet
    8 anni fa

we would love to help! we're a group of home stylists you can text for free. We'll find and order pieces for you :) 646-586-2260

• PRO
    Ready Wholesale Electric Supply
    8 anni fa

I totally agree with people choosing ceiling fans without lights. If you need recessed lighting, let us know. Here's what we offer -- http://www.readywholesaleelectric.com/allpro56ledm.html

• PRO
    Touie, Inc.
    8 anni fa

Thank you Ready Wholesale Electric Supply. We will keep your information on file and reach out as needed it. Thanks again.

• PRO
    User
    8 anni fa

I guess it depends on your definition of quality. If you are looking for efficiency and functionality, for sure the answer has to be an integrated LED kit. It might help to reframe your vision of what a ceiling fan should be as they are primarily thermal comfort appliances and should be viewed so. That doesn't mean they need to look like a dog's breakfast though..

• PRO
    Lightkulture
    7 anni fa
    A ceiling fan with an integrated, dimmable LED light source is the best way to go. Some brands to consider are: Modern Fan, Kichler, Matthews and Atlas fan companies. Visit our Houzz profile for more ideas.
  • PRO
    Star Fans
    7 anni fa

You should check the Star Propeller fan. The only durable and uniquely designed fan. Indoor and out with customizable colors! 4 motor colors and 5 blade finishes to choose from.
    [Star Propeller[(https://www.houzz.com/products/star-fans-venge-propeller-aviator-ceiling-fan-3-blade-52-gray-prvw-vr~58559178)

• Kay Addis
    6 anni fa

I'm no designer, but, having lived in 12 houses, I strongly dislike ANY ceiling light in living rooms or bedrooms. They, to me, are harsh and old-fashioned. We have had homes in three southern or Caribbean homes, and ceiling fans are a must -- but without the light attachment. Lighting from lamps around the room in a variety of heights -- some floor lamps, some table lamps -- does the trick. (And my vacuum has a light on the front!) Just my opinion...

• PRO
    AQ Lighting Texas, Inc.
    6 anni fa

I would go ceiling fan without lights and then well placed recessed cans for both task lighting and ambiance lighting. Believe it or not, people don't have to install recessed fixtures in the standard dice patterns of 4 or 5 in a square. Use the different sizes and trims to maximize your functional lighting while making your furniture look richer. We have a quick blog post that show our clients how to layout recessed lights that you will certainly benefit from. Have fun with the ceiling fan, and if you do choose one with a light be sure to wire the light and the fan controls on two different switches or have the remote control the fan while the light is controlled by the switch. This allows the wall switch to turn the light on or off, but the fan can run regardless of the lamp.

The was a lengthy way of recommending small2-3" recessed cans with a gimbal trim to highlight wall art, and slightly larger 4" cans to highlight furniture pieces within the room. Don't worry, with the right lighting your guests will feel invited into the room; instead of checking out the dice layout of your task lighting.

• Joe
    6 anni fa

Necessity is the mother of all invention.

• KD
    6 anni fa

I wish someone would make less modern looking fans with concealed lighting. In the bedroom I want the option of extra light (like when cleaning) but most of the time we just use lamps in the evening - so to have extra light occasionally we have ugly light kits all the time. Feh.

• Elizabeth B
    6 anni fa

Wow never knew so many people didn't like ceiling fans and without lights....I'm from Florida and a ceiling fan is a must unless you keep the ac on blast everyday. I prefer the lights in them it just makes sense flip a switch and both my cooling mecanism and light comes on I don't want to be walking around turning lamps on. Then what when i leave the room go turn all the lamps off?

• Brenda Levenstein
    3 anni fa

I need to replace a ceiling fan in a bedroom that is used as an exercise room. There are no can lights or lamps, but I want to put in a fan without a light. Is it difficult to add can lights?

• Edward Ramey
    3 anni fa

It is a very interesting question. I recommended ceiling fan with lights directly. This is because it is more convenient to install. If you are using recessed lights separately, you will need to consider so many factors such as IC rating of the recessed lights, drilling holes and etc. On the contrary, we just need to mount the ceiling fan on the surface of the ceiling.

Moreover, we can control the fan speed and light in a same remote! I particularly like this Harbor breeze ceiling fan (https://ceilingfanpro.com/#1_Harbor_Breeze_Mazon_448243_8211_Best_Ceiling_Fan_for_Bedroom) because it fits small bedroom.

Another reason is that imagine we are having the recessed lights just above the ceiling fan blades. The rotating blades would create the flickering shadow on the floor, which is irritating to eyes. So, ceiling fan WITH LIGHT is a better choice.

• Mini-Split Warehouse
    3 anni fa

Before take a decition.. Do you need light in the room where you intall tha fan?

https://www.minisplitheat.com/

Depende the answer, you you can decide but...more light always will be a benefits.

• Dayna Culwell
    2 anni fa

We must have a ceiling fan over our dinner table but the light is horrible for reading, even AFTER eye surgery. What's the best way to re-do. Should we replace with a light-less ceiling fan and add specific directed lighting?

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".