Houzz Logo Print
tracey3437

I have put too many LED spotlights in my new kitchen extension

t Hagues
8 anni fa

Please help - I have too many spots in the kitchen. They dim to 60% but still way too bright. They are on two circuits. My electrician tried to talk me out of it but I was adamant to have lots as I was worried that it would be too dark, like the old kitchen had been. I don't know what to do, I've got it wrong so any advice is welcome.

Commenti (13)

• Jonathan
    8 anni fa
    You could soften the wall and ceiling colour- if they are cry white they will be reflecting the light making it seem very harsh
    t Hagues ha ringraziato Jonathan
  • PRO
    Clever And Simple
    8 anni fa
    Hi,
    Can you give me the following info, and I'll see what I can do to help:
    Make and model number of LED fittings
    Number of fittings per circuit
    Make and model number of the dimmer switch
    Normally, these things can be resolved : )
    Thanks
    Peter
    t Hagues ha ringraziato Clever And Simple
  • PRO
    source style design
    8 anni fa

Hi, An easy mistake to make. You could call back your electrician and builder and remove half of them by tucking them back into the ceiling and making good the holes and skimming. Not ideal, but would achieve the best result. Good luck.

t Hagues ha ringraziato source style design
  • t Hagues
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thank you everyone, I sincerely appreciate all your interest and advice. Since I posted last week the electrician has installed a piece of kit that allows one of the circuits of 12 spots to dim to dark. It's called a Hamilton GRID-IT LED dimmer. The same piece of kit has not worked for the other circuit of 18 spots. As instructed by my electrician I have returned the fitting to get a replacement as he thinks it may be faulty. We will try again next week. I have attached a photo of as much of the ceiling for you to see for yourselves.

Jonathan, thank you so much. The ceiling is the bog standard 'Brilliant White' but the walls are Farrow and Ball 'Strong White' which is a very pale grey which has helped reduce the dazzle. I will look into toning down the ceiling too. I hadn't thought of that, so thanks again.

Clever, thanks for all your interest. I can't find the technical details of the spot or the dimmer but have attached a photo of the spot. As mentioned above, only the circuit of 18 in the extension doesn't dim to dark now, but the electrician is going to try and fit a replacement dimmer next week. Thank you so much.

Source, thank you, I did wonder if that is possible. I'm not sure if my budget can stretch to that but in some ways I think that would be the best solution. I will ask my very patient builder to quote.

Thanks again.

• t Hagues
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

• t Hagues
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

• PRO
    KW Kitchens
    8 anni fa

As I said in my previous post the bulbs need to be the type that can be dimmed and the switch needs to be correct one for the bulbs to dim. Have a look at www.ledhut.co.uk LED bulbs come in warm, cool and daylight.

t Hagues ha ringraziato KW Kitchens
  • PRO
    Clever And Simple
    8 anni fa

Hi,

Are these fittings dedicated LED fittings, or have you got a normal fitting with a replacement LED bulb? I.E. you can take the LED out of the fitting and replace it with either a GU10 (Mains) or MR16 (Low Voltage with transformer) halogen bulb. By the looks of the fitting, you are using replacement LED bulbs. Do you have the details for these - Manufacturer etc

Thanks,

Peter

t Hagues ha ringraziato Clever And Simple
  • t Hagues
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Hi Peter, the spots were bought recently and are dedicated LED fittings. No bulbs have been changed. I will find out the details of the manufacturer etc.

• PRO
    Clever And Simple
    8 anni fa
    Hi, there should be some make or model number on the fitting somewhere....
    Thanks
    Peter
  • PRO
    The Bulb Co
    7 anni fa

Hi, sorry its a late response to this post, did you manage to get your problem sorted out? Kind regards,

• Joy Anderson
    6 anni fa

I've just done the same thing in my bathroom. I asked for 6 lights, which would have worked with halogen but not leds. I will read the comments with interest.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".