Houzz Logo Print
rebeccaamerica

Need help decorating built-in master bedroom shelving

rebeccaamerica
11 anni fa
Need help decorating master bedroom shelves without using books or knickknacks.

Commenti (27)

• groveraxle
    11 anni fa
    That is just odd. I would remove it, patch the wall, and hang art.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 anni fa
    Useless unless you're bedridden and need a place to store all your meds conveniently. Remove!
  • rebeccaamerica
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    lol, and the funny thing is that there is another one exactly like it on the other side of the dormer window! Ugh. I don't really want the expense and mess of of removing them, but sadly you may be correct. Thanks
  • groveraxle
    11 anni fa
    Removing them shouldn't be that big a deal. It could even be a diy project; the hardest part is handling the drywall, but I think at the big box stores you can buy a quarter sheet. You were wanting to paint the room anyway, right? ;-)
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    11 anni fa
    If you need it there than still paint it. Its odd as a focal point. If you don't need it, definitely remove it
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    11 anni fa
    paint it the same color as the wall if you need it there....
  • Caitlin
    11 anni fa
    A fish tank! Just kidding :-)

Seriously though, I think I would consider covering the back with an accent fabric to go with my decor. Then I might add hooks to hang my favorite jewelry. I'm not sure. I would definatly try to find a way to make it look purposeful and architetural, since it is a bit akward otherwise. Of course you could just put several picture frames there and call it a day, but I still think color would make it a really interesting space.
  • Becky
    11 anni fa
    ~Pull the shelf out, mirror the back and set candles on the base. Pretty lit up at night. Paint the trim a wood tone like the bed or just remove the trim and paint the sides the same as the wall color.
    ~Paint a faux mural in the back like a window scene looking out.
    ~Add a light in the top center and highlight a painting or object d'art like suggested above.
    ~You can always make it bigger if it made more sense to use it as a niche.
    ~Easy out: remove the trim & hang a picture or mirror over the opening. Now, you have hidden storage for your valuables.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 anni fa
    Family photos are great in a bedroom. Alternatively, you could find a big painting, poster, or quilt and cover up the whole thing without the bother of actually removing it. I hope that maybe you have an antique quilt that is too precious to use on a bed--otherwise you can buy interesting ones on line, especially from Amish women.
  • PRO
    The Creative Man
    11 anni fa
    Hi, First maybe paint of line the back walls of the shelf with color or a pattern. Then, display a grouping of either something you collect or decorative items that make a statement together.
  • elcieg
    11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    Are the two exactly opposite each other?

Is that the foot of the bed?

If you moved the dresser in front of it and found a wide mirror which you could lean, would that cover it?

Or paint the back of it the wall color and do what I do when I don't know what to do; get some hardcover books and good white wrapping paper and cover them. Instant little library.
    Inverness Circle · Maggiori informazioni
  • rebeccaamerica
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    I really appreciate all of your suggestions! I've been struggling with it, and am sort of glad to know there isn't a simple solution. Makes me feel a little better about my (limited) decorating abilities. The fact that there are 2 of them is really annoying.
  • rebeccaamerica
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    I'll post a better picture. This is a dormer/attic bedroom with many angled walls. The 2 shelves flank the (dormer) window in the photo, on the right and left. The wall they are on is only about 4 feet tall, and you can see the bed post of the foot of the bed.
  • User
    11 anni fa
    black and white family photos in frames of varying sizes?
  • PRO
    Misty Doherty
    11 anni fa
    I would use it to display my bracelets and paint the background, use a decal.
  • reilii
    11 anni fa
    you can install magnificent doors with medieval lock and key that lead to a secret hideaway....
  • inabunker
    11 anni fa
    I really don't see why you have to remove them. How about painting them out in a darker color, removing the shelving and then putting a large display item, painting, or something in there with a light inside the the top of the frame. I think it would look great.
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    11 anni fa
    I think they are great. Its always nice to have somewhere to store extra books or to put little decorative objects like a nice candle etc. Since you have two of them i would have one for decoration and take the frame off the other, place some artwork over it and hide little nick nacks or jewellery behind it- it can be your little secret compartment.... ;)
  • PRO
    Faux Home | Home & Hue
    11 anni fa
    I agree with the comments about leaving them, but removing the shelving. I would also paint them, and you can use a color that is on the same color swatch...either lighter or darker would work. I think that might look better than painting a strong focal color which brings more attention to them. Then place a combination of artwork, books or photos in them...very tasteful:)
  • nin012
    11 anni fa
    I actually love them - gives the room charm. I'd do as others suggested - remove shelving and add interest to the back of built-ins...think charming wallpaper, bead-board, a stenciled design, or just a complimentary color. Add back in things you love and it'll be something that makes you smile :)
  • Don Or Janet Cook
    11 anni fa
    I think the reason you don't like them is because they "pop". I agree with painting them out and then use to display interesting things that you love. Mementos of vacations, a collection of some things that are similar etc. I like the feature.
    Good luck.
  • Robyn ...
    11 anni fa
    I agree with Norma Sassone's ideas. But don't limit yourself to a vase, photos or flowers. For the lighting you might be will be able to get a battery powered LED fitting to test if you like it.

Rename the shelves to an alcove and put ONE item there.

What about art? It is your bedroom so you can be as daring as you want to be. It is entirely your own personal taste. Do you have a local scuptor you like either near where you live or when you are next on holiday.

On a side note, imho, I wouldn't paint my bedroom walls poo-colored brown, but I do love that corner post on your bed.
  • Susanna
    11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    I would find cabinets more useful than open shelves so I would hire a carpenter to reframe and hang doors. Then you have useful storage rather than something you're trying hard to call "decor".
  • PRO
    Tiny Texas Houses
    11 anni fa
    Go to my Tiny Texas Houses website or on the Facebook Tiny Texas Houses site to see 4,000 images of how to maximize a tiny space with Salvaged Materials you can find for nearly free. Just like the houses, the 99% Pure Salvage Living Renaissance offers you solutions to apartment needs that will travel with you to the next place, including the cool lofts and loft ladder/stairs of my own designs available for all to use. Lots of pictures. Nothing better in the world made from other people's trash.
  • valsi
    10 anni fa
    I love them. I would fill them with books and be happy to have two built in book shelves.
  • hidesertkath
    9 anni fa
    I would paint them to match the walls then, like valsl, I would fill them with books and call it a day.
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".