Houzz Logo Print
jacky_ward

Tree suggestions please?

Jacky Ward
8 anni fa
At the bottom of my south facing garden I've a row of conifers. However I would like more trees in the garden but don't know what to choose. I had thought of silver birches add they are not too dense and block light from the grass but would like to hear other suggestions. I have a live of maples but all the taller varieties seem to be dense foliage. would really like a woodlands feel. Any suggestions please? It's also to create privacy from recently built properties overlooking my garden.

Commenti (23)

• PRO
    Photo4me.com
    8 anni fa

Funny you said silver birches because that was my first thought when I saw the picture. Although they do leave a mess when autumn comes. A fully grown Acer griseum can be really nice and has a beautiful shade of red during the season change.

• Jacky Ward
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Thank you for replying quickly. do you think I should have just 1 specimen tree or a collection of different trees. bearing in mind I would still need access to cut conifers
  • erinsky2
    8 anni fa
    Some well spaced skyrocket junipers can add a Tuscan look into your landscape less the maintainance of pruning and tidying.
  • Jacky Ward
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    I like the sound of them. Will look them up thank you
  • PRO
    Primrose
    8 anni fa

For Trees - you could have some beautiful Japanese Maples, Herbs and Vegetables, Exotic Palms, some complimentary Hedging, Fruit Trees, Exotic Bamboo, Roses, Ornamental Treesor even Bay Trees!

• pannacotta
    8 anni fa

I think a group of Birch would look great against the hedge, Chinese birch have gorgeous bark and good autumn colour.

How wide is the space?

• 60hattie
    8 anni fa
    We have a multi-stemmed birch - it looks marvellous and is effective in creating a woodland feel in a smaller space. Under planting with shade and partial-shade loving plants helps with the woodland feel.
  • Pam Pearman
    8 anni fa

Two trees that would give a dappled light and are suitable for smaller gardens are gledizia and rubinia. Now is a good time to visit an arboretum or try the RHS web site.

• slo007
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

I planted two of these recently in front of my hedging. I hope they look like the pictures...

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/all-other-seeds-and-plants/trees/katsura-tree/p94182TM

• Andrew Millar
    8 anni fa
    yeah,apples and pears!!lovely jubbly lol.love pear trees, would look great against your dark hedge.
  • gbarronfox
    8 anni fa

Try growing wild hops up through the conifers. They soften the look and turn a lovely red in autumn Gerry BF

• gd11
    8 anni fa

Eucalyptus Gunni and you can keep it lopped to any size you want. I like the idea of apples and pears. Get something out of your planting. Birch are very messy and are not beautiful enough in my opinion. Think of colour, texture and something beautiful to look at. Sorry I can't give you any other ideas but blossom trees are beautiful and indeed messy but colourful messy!!!

• gd11
    8 anni fa

Lilacs, attract butterflies with Buddleja, holly tree for Xmas and of course Baytree as somebody else said. The list is endless once you look on websites.

• unamatrix0
    8 anni fa

I would go for a natural hedge which can incorporate all kinds of plants including apple ( or any other fruit ) tree, nut trees, birch and beech and elder, to name a few. Check out http://www.wildaboutgardens.org.uk/habitats/hedge.aspx which explains how to make the hedge and when, which will not only provide you with some eatables but will also attract wildlife and birds, bees and butterflies and and and... need I say more ! Conifers do almost nothing at all to attract wildlife and you can't eat it ! Wildlife hedges can also contain prickly plants for security such as hawthorn and you can underplant with woodland plants such as Enchanters Nightshade ( not to be confused with the other one ! ) and native bluebells and let the hedge or parts of the hedge be as tall as you like. Nurseries and garden centres sell bundles of what look like dried twigs ( which are your hedge ) so you can mix and match your own selection. Hope this gives food for thought ! Good luck.

• User
    8 anni fa

It doesn't look such a big space for many trees, remember the potential spread and the fact that tree roots can spread 3 times the height of the tree. You have to consider the soil type as well, coniferous trees are quite acidic and may affect the soil around it. Is there any restrictions by the local council? Have a look at your local environment and see what trees are in other gardens. Copper beech can be kept trimmed to suitable height and can add colour. erinsky2's suggestion of Rocket Junipers sounds good or how about some fruit trees and get the benefit of the produce :-)

• Jacky Ward
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Thank you to every one that had commented. Its such a big decision I'm struggling to decide. When we moved into the property 14yrs ago there were fruiting trees in the garden as the area was originally an orchard. However the fruit produced was poor as trees were very old and had started to rot so we had to cut down pear, cherry apple and plum trees. I liked the silver birch due to dappled shade and silver bark but unsure due to size they can get to and "autumn mess". reluctant to have fruit trees again, but I do like the idea of a formal feel in the juniper skyrocket, bay trees etc. and the maples too. So thank you to all suggestions I'm down to either a Tuscan or Japanese theme!
  • pannacotta
    8 anni fa

Here is a smaller variety than Silver birch and with lovely white bark

http://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/betula-utilis-jacquemontii-snow-queen-multi-stem-tree-pp848

• silyab53
    8 anni fa

I would also suggest Japanese Acer - red and black varieties - don't know much about gardens, but my red acer - a gift from my late friend's garden, by her son - looks stunning and, as my local nurseryman has the black variety I'll add a couple of those too, but I'll be keeping them all potted for now.

Does anyone from this clever Houzz community know where I can find 'Rosa Lilian Baylis', named after my relative in honour of her work in the world of Theatre, Ballet and Opera. I can't find it anywhere, and wanted to buy one for my Sister's 60th Birthday. Thanks, in hope! B

• stranded
    8 anni fa
    Morning Jacky, I am a keen gardener with an RHS course behind me and I was taught that looking for trees with 3 seasons of interest for a garden is always a good idea ie blossom in spring, pretty foliage in summer and autumn fruit. Something like Amelanchier lamarckii which gets to 10m high and 12m wide has pretty dainty blossom in spring delicate bronze foliage in summer and red orange leaves in autumn. The birds also love the purple black fruits which follow. Or a Malus 'John Downie' or Malus Floribunda both vigorous crab apple trees with a long season of interest.

I would probably not go for the Tuscan pillar conifers because they will act as pointers drawing your eye to the houses you are trying to screen.

Birch (Betula Utilis var Jacquemontii are beautiful however they will reach 15m or possibly consider weeping birch Betula Pendula "Youngii' which makes a dome shape and gets to 8m high and 10m wide.

Perhaps have a look at the RHS website which is very helpful.
  • Catherine Hounslow
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Mountain Ash. Cianothus tree variety which will provide privacy and clouds of pale blue flowers in spring . Small cherry trees. .

• andrewchapman
    8 anni fa

The problem with trees is that they keep growing. They might be ideal to screen the house beyond for a few years, but either side of that they will be too big or too small. It also depends on the orientation of your garden. Tall trees might cast unwelcome shade.

Also consider that trees will create a shady, barren area beneath. Depending on their height and spread, it will not be possible to keep grass around their trunk.

It is more work, but an alternative is a pergola or similar structure with climbers. You could use roses,wisteria, laburnum, clematis etc.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".