Houzz Logo Print
skoprow

Hardscaping is done - need help with landscaping!

skoprow
9 anni fa
Hardscaping is finished, and now I want to do the landscaping myself. I'm looking for that beautiful-take-your-breath-away look, but on my budget!

Does anyone have any advice for great shrub combinations for my side entry garden that will give some "presence" but not get all overgrown?

And I need some privacy planting alon the back border, but don't want a row of anything - am looking for a mixed shrub and perennial border.

Any other comments/ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

Commenti (4)

• miacometlady
    9 anni fa
    This is a rather large project. You can still do the planting yourself, but perhaps have a local landscape designer offer you a design. If not... Well this can't be done in one weekend, perhaps establish your gardens with mulch just to get the scope of the project. Then slowly add plants. This way the mulched areas will look clean and finished until you get to them. One thought. Along property line plant large evergreens like this spruce, which will free up the rest of the garden from the burden of creating a privacy screen.
  • PRO
    City Garden Company
    9 anni fa

Could you let me know what city your home is in? I could give you some suggestions.

• skoprow
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you both! I am on Long Island, New York - Zone 6B.

I definitely like the idea of some evergreens in the back border, however I really do like my "borrowed view" and don't want to block it all. I have a pretty extensive perennial border back there which provides privacy in the summer, but I feel it needs some "bones". And it has really been decimated by the pool installation.
  • PRO
    City Garden Company
    9 anni fa

hi, I would recommend using native eastern red cedar, there is a variety that stays more columnar called "Brodie'. Ornmental grasses and Boxwood/ native Ilex glabra is always a great start for the bones of a garden.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".