Houzz Logo Print
kristi_traynor

What would you do to dress this big blank wall?

I have eclectic tastes. Leaning toward turn of the century steampunk and art nouveau. Just curious what others would do with this wall aside from photo arrangements. The wall color is BM Guillford Green.

Commenti (53)

• 9 anni fa
    oh, and change the light, to a more dramatic one.
  • 9 anni fa
    I have looked for a tapestry but haven't found any that are large enough that I could afford or like. I'd love a Klimt wall mural but at this size it's just too expensive. Some day my mom will finish a quilt for me but that could be years off (based on past experience) ☺️anyway, if you come across any tapestry examples that you love please share a link with me!
  • 9 anni fa
    Agree about the light. Feel free to send links for that too. Thanks for your help.
  • 9 anni fa

art nouveau to steampunk is a tough span! I'd want something with a great splash of color...

DENY Designs Robert Farkas Punk Bird Art Canvas · Maggiori informazioni

Abstract Violin Painting Violinist Art Steampunk in Design DOLCE CONCERTO · Maggiori informazioni

Kristi Traynor ha ringraziato acm
  • 9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa

Graffiti wallpaper of your choice would be cool...

Simmons powder room · Maggiori informazioni
    Armstrong Farm · Maggiori informazioni

• 9 anni fa
    A good splash of color for this area that draws your eyes to the great height! Something like this vertically will also be nice.
  • 9 anni fa
    omg I love the graffiti wallpaper!
  • 9 anni fa

acm, I like the violinist but they're not selling it in a large enough print. She'd be pretty spectacular as a wall mural.

• 9 anni fa

$528 for a wall mural that's only 8 ft high (the light post). Maybe I need a local trompe l'oeil artist. I wonder how much more expensive they'd be.

• 9 anni fa

Here's the stencil I'm thinking of using and in these colors also.

• 9 anni fa
    I would add a large vinyl stencil of my favorite quote or saying. There are so many to choose from. Maybe something that lifts my spirit or has a special family meaning to me.
    Kristi Traynor ha ringraziato mipeters26
  • 9 anni fa

What if I added moldings to the wall that defined about 75% of the wall but left the green border all around--use it to frame the stencil? It would reduce the amount of work required stippling. I'd paint the moldings black. If I went this route, how small could I make the frame and still have the wall look dressed nicely? I stopped being lazy and just measured the wall. It is 7'-8" x 13'-2".

• 9 anni fa

mipeters26, that would be lovely for a normal family. For my family it would have to say something irreverent and then we'd all have to agree on what it should say...we can't even agree on dinner. LOL. My husband and daughter would be happy with a halloween scene of bats flying across the wall. Imagine what a realtor would say it we had to sell the house!

• 9 anni fa
    If you go with a picture, etc- framing would be a good idea. If going wtih just words- I probably would not frame it. That is just a personal opinion. Maybe a designer has done that before and can give you some examples. Good Luck!
  • 9 anni fa

my first thought was a tapestry as well, or a metal sculpture. you could even tack a length of good fabric over stretchers.

• PRO
    9 anni fa

Put in a wainscott base with a plate rail about 5' high and then use the remaining wall space to install a nice framed print. I might even change out that light fixture. This is in a bathroom but gives you an idea to just trim out the wall and paint it.

http://www.houzz.com/wainscott-makintosh

Kristi Traynor ha ringraziato D.R. Long, Architect + Associates
  • 9 anni fa

I thought about wainscott but there isn't any anywhere else in the house. Wouldn't it look out of place just in the stairwell? Also, would you just put it on the focal wall or would you run it around the stairwell to a logical stopping point? I also thought about putting in a dado rail but given where it would have to start and stop I thought it was going to look awkward too.

• 9 anni fa
    You love steam punk? Did you think about a metal sculpture with gears and bicycle parts? I'm sure you could find bits and pieces and find a local welder-artist to work with you. Other than that I would hang a ethnic rug or a large painting. I had a stairwell like this. I suggest something long. Try barnwood with gears?
    Kristi Traynor ha ringraziato susu413
  • 9 anni fa

I'm always looking for cool steampunk pieces and parts. I make jewelry assemblages and have tackled a couple lamps even. But I haven't found anything to scale for this wall.

• 9 anni fa

I'm digging these french mirrors. Anyone think these could work? One or both? Layered on top of a wall pattern like the tree I posted earlier?

• 9 anni fa
    How about hanging a large quilt, or colorful rug as art?
    I have seen Doors hung as art, with the right lighting they can all look as dramatic as you want.
  • 9 anni fa

You could inquire at your local college for an art student .,it will not be so expensive that way

• 9 anni fa

Great big museum banners would be cool.

BetterWall Gallery · Maggiori informazioni

• 9 anni fa
    I would look at places that buy metal. Bicycle pieces industrial gears. You can mount it on a sheet of plywood that you've distressed . Wire coiled maybe something that looks like a balloon that you use coper wire to create the mesh. Also you need to find a way to bring all those high windows down visually. Didn't read where you live, but if you are near water search for surplus boat supplies. Old portholes would look wonderful. You do art. You can do this girl. Maybe round mirrors from a thrift store then have someone cut mdf round surrounds and then you can use joint compound to make the rivets for the porthole and glue macrame rings then spray all silver or brass then use brown craft paint or wood stain to age it and make your own portholes. I'll look for photos to attach on my next text.
  • 9 anni fa
    Still having problems with photos. Google image search. Saw one that incorporated gears, a skeleton clock face and a half an old globe. They were all antiqued to blend.
  • PRO
    9 anni fa

I would change the too small light fixture with one of these: http://illuminationslighting.xologicstore.com/lighting-fixtures?oiv=371191 Then I'd look at maybe doing something with trim moulding like:

• 9 anni fa

I'd hang a tapestry or rug to dampen the noise.

• 9 anni fa
    We arranged lithographs on our stairway wall...
  • 9 anni fa
    Chrysler building looks cool. Is this a rug? Do you have a link?

To the nautical theme, no. I'm located in Colorado and nautical themes here are just way out of place--IMO.

I'm intrigued by the steampunk art suggestion. If you can paste the URL here maybe I can take a look at it. Once it warms up a little more I'll start scouring the local yards too.

Thank everyone. I'm getting some good ideas coming in!
  • 9 anni fa
    Illuminations. I agree the light is too small. I like the first and forth ones in your link. I'm going to figure out the wall before I switch the lighting.
  • 9 anni fa
    Without judging the execution of this example do you think the idea is cool or cheesy?
  • 9 anni fa
    Love this idea. Tree branches and paint.
  • 9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa

Not exactly deco, but I bid on and won some terrific, large, 8'ish X 9'ish, Uzbek Suzani textiles on Ebay for less than a Benjamin each. Or hang some vintage saris.

• 9 anni fa
    Linlac, that is a brilliant suggestion with the tree branches. I will be placing this idea at the top of my list! Nearly free, and totally me. Do you think they glued them onto the wall? I think my cats will pull them off if not screwed into studs.
  • 9 anni fa
    63' diameter / I'll take 2 please
  • 9 anni fa
    I was also curious about how they attached it to the wall but it only said use tree branches and paint.
  • 9 anni fa
    Here's another tree using twisted paper. Not loving how they did this one but if you used thinner branches and painted it I could see it working. I keep looking at that first one and it looks like a wall relief to me. Real branches wouldn't be so flat on the wall.
  • 9 anni fa

Portal to New York Guest Bathroom · Maggiori informazioni

• 9 anni fa
    A much larger light fixture that fills the space.
  • 9 anni fa
    Lots of different black and white pics of family in different sizes and frames arranged together or a big mid century print?
  • 9 anni fa

I like your stencil, the mouldings, the burch wallpaper but especially those old mirrors. I do think the clock idea is a little off.

• 9 anni fa

I'm thinking practical here :)

I like all the suggestions but ....who wants to dust the frames , vacuum quilts and banners and clean the mirror or glass that high? Not me !:))

Perhaps a painted mural or wallpaper would be the best solution for this area ,

• 9 anni fa
    A big black and white mosaique of your best travel photos!
  • PRO
    9 anni fa

One large tapestry or two very large pieces of artwork. Good luck!

• 9 anni fa
    What about a wood wall? It may be too dark but if you stain the pieces different colors it may look great. Pinterest has ideas for DIY steampunk gear clocks, gear mirrors, pendent lights with pipes etc.
  • 9 anni fa
    Genevieve, you make a very good point. Keep it easy to clean. Thanks for the reminder.
  • 9 anni fa

Advise from being there done that years back ,as we age climbing and stretching for some doesn't work :)

• 9 anni fa
    I've never dusted those lithographs. Better go check 'em out, lol.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".