Houzz Logo Print
jobee61

Stressing over curtains...HELP!

jobee61
9 anni fa
I've gone through so many different styles and colours of curtains. Nothing seems to fit just right. I definitely need some suggestions on curtains (examples/pics if you have them).
Thanks so much!

The kitchen and living room are open. I hung grey curtains but don't think they look right and yes I know I installed the rod too high. Bahahahaha. (The first set I bought were very long and fit that length, this new set is a 96" and are too short).

Commenti (37)

• Darzy
    9 anni fa

You have a great looking home! The kitchen is fab and I love the contemporary style. As far as curtains, since you pretty much have no color or pattern in the space(s), I'd suggest a curtain with a pattern in an accent color of your choice. What color(s) do you lean to?

• Darzy
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa

Yellow Ring Top Drapery Panel · Maggiori informazioni

Since it looks like "color" is out of your comfort zone, you could do a gray with pattern? But, I'd prefer a pattern with some color, the add pillows and accents accordingly...

Warm Gray Scroll Trellis Custom Euro Pleat Drape Single Panel · Maggiori informazioni

• Denise Ciaralli
    9 anni fa

I just modified some sheers I added to the black out curtains we have in the master bedroom. I added 4" strips of felt then put a wide ribbon along the top edge. It dresses up the curtains beautifully and added the length I wanted to see. Will post a picture tomorrow.

• jobee61
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks Darzy. Your correct. I love colour in other houses but I'm so afraid to try anything and it turn out all wrong that's why I tend to stick to the neutrals. I love the yellow curtains that you suggested. Thanks so much!
  • jobee61
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks Denise! I'd love to see how your curtains turned out. I've thought of making my own but didn't know where to start pattern wise.
  • Denise Ciaralli
    9 anni fa

• Denise Ciaralli
    9 anni fa

Still finishing them.....here is an in progress shot that shows the bottom. The black out curtains are similarly dark grey.

• jobee61
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Looks great! I love the textures.
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 anni fa

Also your curtain rod behind the sofa may need to be straightened, it looks a bit higher on the left. You may want to pull your sofa away from the window a bit and bring the other one in closer to your coffee table as well. Very nice home!

• jobee61
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Hahaha, oh yes! I need to put an anchor in the one side because one of the screws came out but I forgot about it. Oops!
  • jean_mcfadden1
    9 anni fa
    I would use a off white or cream panel, perhaps linen. Add a decorative trim about 2 inches in from the inside edge, from top to bottom. You can add both pattern and color this way. Perhaps a Greek key in a color of the stone on your fireplace with orange, purple, any accent color. So many patterns and color combos are available and would liven up your windows and give them a more tailored look. Your local seamstress, dry cleaner can add the trim for you. Also, move the panels to the finial, covering the brackets and make sure they touch or kiss the floor. I agree with earlier comment, move furniture closer to area rug, away from walls. Really nice home you have. Add some texture, pattern, color with accent pillows.
  • Denise Ciaralli
    9 anni fa

We recently renovated and used this site to get some ideas for decor because we had everything neutral too. I added you to collaborate for our living room/dining room idea book because when I took the advice given and added the colours and accents, we couldn't believe the difference. Have a look and see what I mean.

• jobee61
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Denise it looks fantastic! I love love love your flooring and wall colour and your right, the colour pop makes a big difference. Thanks so much for sharing :)
  • Denise Ciaralli
    9 anni fa

Aww thank you .... believe it or not that flooring is actually laminate and was pretty easy to install. I love this site I had no clue where to begin or even what colour to use. It has been a great adventure pulling it all together! Good luck in your design project.

• tlparks
    9 anni fa

I love the gray scribbles drape from West Elm. Gives you pattern, and then you can add color in art and accessories. Good luck!

• Theresa Holt
    9 anni fa
    I like the rods high. Just find a cool fabric and add it to the bottom.
  • Ciara Devaraj
    9 anni fa
    I think floor length drapes would look better in your space. They never go out of style and gives the illusion of a taller ceiling.
  • groveraxle
    9 anni fa

Your rod is not too high; it's just right. Your curtains are too short. In such a neutral room, you can do any color and/or pattern you like.

• groveraxle
    9 anni fa

If you're afraid of color, try texture instead. Linen or burlap might be good choices.

• PRO
    Exeter Handkerchief Company
    9 anni fa

Your rods are mounted at the correct height(just should be straight, like you said.) In general, rods should be installed higher and wider than the window frame. Installing the rod to accommodate the length of the pre-made panel is not good design. Whether the panel hits the floor slightly or hangs an inch above is purely subjective.

• PRO
    Exeter Handkerchief Company
    9 anni fa

Hopefully these design solutions will make you a little more brave.. We focus on the some of the parts not the individual fabrics.

• User
    9 anni fa

How about a rich navy velvet http://www.houzz.com/projects/879651/a-bold-masculine-den-makeover?

A Bold, Masculine Den Makeover · Maggiori informazioni

A Bold, Masculine Den Makeover · Maggiori informazioni

Our design team can make some suggestions. Ask a free question here http://www.decorist.com/questions/ . Also note that hanging them just right makes them look more luxurious. These are West Elm.

• sandradclark
    9 anni fa

Yes, you do not need to buy new drapes. Just buy additional fabric for adding to what you have. Same fabric different color. It looks like you need an additional panel on each side though. I love the Greek key trim idea. Go with more than you actually are short. You will need to have a larger piece to add on. Take down the sheers. Use a white with the Greek key design & have them professionally done. Go gray, Greek key strip, white section, then end up with gray on the bottom. Kiss the floor. Fix your rod. Have some pillows made with same gray, white with Greek key (smaller) design for your sofa. Add large abstract art. Be brave. Go for it.

• sandradclark
    9 anni fa

Buy a larger area rug. Pull the sofas to put front feet onto the area rug. Go with a white and black wide stripe pattern for rug.

• sandradclark
    9 anni fa

Little by little add some color. one color in threes.

• PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 anni fa

Hey there.Your space in amazing. I think it may worth the investment to consider custom window treatments. This will allow you to achieve that correct height and weight of each panel.I have a few blog posts that may help you out.

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog

• charliemycat
    9 anni fa

Couple of questions first, can you return the drapes you currently have? If you can, I would do so. You need the 108 inch length and they're difficult to find. I also suggest you look at the extra wide, 100 inch wide panel, thats a fairly wide window you have. I ordered mine on Amazon. I ordered "Best Home Fashion, Blackout" great price, excellent quality, great reviews, and in many colors. You will find many reviews said these are better quality than custom draperies they have had made in the past, for a fraction of the price. The rod is in the right place, dont move it, just check it for level. If you can't return them, do you sew? I would sew or have someone sew a darker band of fabric along the bottom. Having someone sew a new header will be very expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Grommet-Thermal-Insulated-Blackout-Curtains/dp/B00CTUXA10/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423976226&sr=8-2&keywords=drapery+panels+100+x+108

• everdebz
    9 anni fa

Maybe an orange-red, or a color from 2nd throw:

Marley Orange Throw · Maggiori informazioni

New Bohemian Cotton Patchwork Throw Blanket · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    9 anni fa

Maybe sew 'stripe' near or at bottom/ or at top, sort of modern look.

Small Space Residence · Maggiori informazioni

• dclostboy
    9 anni fa

The gray color of the current drapes is also a bit off...looks like you're trying to match and missed slightly. Go for a different color or texture as others have suggested.

• kitchensky
    9 anni fa
    I love the current curtains. What are you looking for? I say spend the money on art to liven up and bring character to the space.
  • kitchensky
    9 anni fa
    You could add a boarder to your existing curtains to save money and make them longer. Also colored appliances to liven up the kitchen.
  • PRO
    Guildery
    9 anni fa
    Great spaces! Love the high drapery rods but definitely make sure they hit the floor. What about drapes in the kitchen area that coordinate with accent pillows on the living room sofa? Instead of the glass coffee table, maybe a pair of upholstered x-bench ottomans in the same pattern as the drapes and pillows will pull everything together. Let me know if you like any of the pattern collections on our site. Happy decorating!
  • weaselemu
    9 anni fa

I think you should get the drapes with the most color and design you can stand. They are easy to change out. I also agree to get 108 length drapes. The rods are fine where they are.

• Denise Ciaralli
    9 anni fa

Here's how they turned out....

• jobee61
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    They look really great Denise! I love the bench at the foot of the bed as well.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".