Houzz Logo Print
rickster88

Advice on my vignette of pottery

rickster88
9 anni fa
Hi houzzers!

I started collecting some pottery and have a small collection that I love quite much. I'm trying to display them above my fridge where there's a gap between the ceiling and the fridge. Is there any advice as to how I should place them? I think I'm looking for a relaxed and informal look rather than lining them up in a straight line. At the moment I've tried to pair up the green pots together and then transition it off to the brown pots and staggered them so that it overlaps.
I may acquire more pots (only ones that I truly love) in the future so I might have to make some space for that.

Any advice?

Commenti (21)

• rickster88
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I forgot to mention that I might add some lighting in the plaster ceiling to highlight my pots.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 anni fa
    Hi, I think lighting is a great idea. :) Also, possibly varying the heights a bit can add to the display. (see the first photo/with stand) I realize the amount of space you have, but the height differences add to the look. I believe the lighting will really make it a nice focal point. :) Btw, nice pottery, love the first one.... such a nice color/pattern. Good luck! :)
    River House · Maggiori informazioni

Dining Room · Maggiori informazioni
  • Geneviève
    9 anni fa
    Very nice beginning to your collection but the room for them isn't very large nor lit and that will make them look crowded and boring , so I was thinking of finding another home for them in your kitchen , I see light shinning from above , but its still too dark on top of the fridge . if you have the room perhaps you could do something like this
    Urban Eclectic · Maggiori informazioni
    ]
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 anni fa
    One more thing. :).....Maybe hang a painted canvas (rectangular) in a nice contrasting color behind the pottery. Might make them pop even more! I think I see red or orange in your room??? One of those might be a great color for the canvas? Again, good luck! :)
  • PRO
    Allan Rug Company
    9 anni fa
    @ Genevieve if you need flooring or carpet ideas for your residence and your located in Toronto or the GTA, give us a shoutout. We have been in the flooring and carpet industry for over 50 years!
  • rickster88
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I see everyone's concern is the light. What if I added some light right above the fridge to highlight those pieces (mind you on that existing light I have shining down).
    I didn't realise that I had 6 pieces. I was going to go for 7 but I'm still on a look out for nice pots.
    You sure it doesn't work above the fridge? Can't think of anywhere else that could fit in the theme of these pots in my home.
  • rickster88
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I tried placing the pots at several locations. Thus far I don't quite like it. I know everyone is going to say that the points stand out against the darker furniture but I kind of like those areas with clean lines. Please critique.

I attached a photo (last one) with the fridge empty on top. Looks bare :(
  • User
    9 anni fa
    The fridge is too small for the space it's in. Understanding budget constraints, I'd put a large basket up there and fill it with whatever. As for the pots, using acrylic lifts of varying heights you will be able to create a striking display in keeping with your decor. Raising vases/pots up off a surface makes a huge difference.
  • patrinkac
    9 anni fa
    I also collect pottery pots...nothing ordinary. I see you are on the same track. So, I find your display area on top of refrig. does not do justice to your pots. The colors, styles and dimensionality can't really be appreciated. Do you notice how pottery is often displayed in museums? Giving viewers the ability to move around and get a 360 degree of the work. IMO.
  • kaye1951
    9 anni fa
    Please don't relegate those beautiful pots to the top of your frig!!!!
  • kathleen MK
    9 anni fa
    As a potter I would say display them lower for safety and better viewing especially the celadon green one with a crystalline glazes. The chemistry and firing that goes into creating that needs to be appreciated up close and well lit. Storage tins and baskets over the fridge if you must not those beautiful pots.
  • sunnydrew
    9 anni fa
    Floating shelves on big wall is good for the pots in small vignettes. Also on your big coffee table. You could get a second hand inexpensive set of glass shelves (an etagere) that would show off the pots beautifully .
  • rickster88
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Has your opinion/advice changed?

Excuse the messiness my houzz is under some renovation to add some other lights

The iPhone photo doesn't do justice to the lights and picture. I'll try with a DSLR if I can get a hold of one.

• rickster88
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    No comments?
  • apple_pie_order
    8 anni fa

Why are the pots on the fridge?

• Renee
    8 anni fa
    The lights over the fridge make a huge difference. The pots add depth and interest to your kitchen. Maybe you can collect some larger pots to add to your wall unit.
  • Lila
    8 anni fa

I'd like to see your tv moved more to the right or left of your console and the pots displayed beside it. I don't think they look as important as they should when placed on the fridge. They look more like kitchen utensils there. I do think that your fridge is too small but painting the alcove it sits in a dark colour would take care of that.

• rickster88
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Hahaha no one seems to like it above the fridge.
    I have more pots and bowls. I'll try raising some/putting them on stands to put them at differing heights to create more interest.
  • rickster88
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Just to flash back... Before (1st photo). After (2nd photo)
  • zazfuzzroc
    8 anni fa

Much better with more added and the light! :)

I also noticed small windows in one picture, they may look cool on small floating shelves.... individually in front of each window. Just a thought though. :)

Like previously mentioned, painting the back wall may help enhance the look too. :)

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".