Houzz Logo Print
lollipop6209

Help warm up my dining area

Lollipop 6209
9 anni fa
Hello, I'm looking for suggestions on how to soften and warm up my dining area. It feels stark and cold. I've also included a pic of my foyer (right off of dining area) so up I can get an idea of my color preferences and design style. Thanks for help!

Commenti (30)

• User
    9 anni fa
    You like the look of midtone pastels, but haven't carried them into your dining space. Why not put that glorious big pot on the bench seat on your table on top of a runner? You could add window panels and a cushion on the bench seat, change out the plain sisal (?) under the table or leave the floor bare, and even add a suitable cushion or slipcover to your chairs to lighten them up and make them look more cozy.
  • PRO
    Shellee Anderson Design Studio
    9 anni fa
    Some suggestions to warm up and make it cozy would be to add more warm colors. It's most likely the large cool walls that gives the cool feeling. Look into adding reds, coppers, yellows in accessories and draperies, like the picture attached. For example you could add a rug with richer deeper colors and maybe add some slip covered chairs at the head and foot of the table. Even adding a copper center piece on the table filled with florals or greenery would help warm up the room.
  • Tania Summers
    9 anni fa
    The back of the room is looking a little empty to me, it needs something.
  • Lollipop 6209
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks all!

Tania, bingo. This is dead space and I'm really struggling what to put there.
  • nimadmo1362
    9 anni fa
    start by changing the white frame on the wall with a picture full off colors
  • suzmue
    9 anni fa
    Put a plant in that corner...something colorful in an oversized vase
  • suzmue
    9 anni fa
    also maybe change the window ledge...put more decorative stuff on it
  • PRO
    User
    9 anni fa
    1 curtains to the sides of all windows
    2 nice big mirror above fireplace
    3 console table
    take a look at my profile for inspirational ideas
  • PRO
    Allan Rug Company
    9 anni fa
    Try prints! A bold, grid-like pattern enhances the beauty and personality of any room!
    Allan Rug Company has a large selection of carpet types – wall to wall, stair runners, and area rugs. We also offer flooring and carpet installations. We provide personal assistance with our professional sales team, high quality materials from the vendors themselves, installations, delivery, clean up etc., Visit our webpage Allan Rug Company, our Houzz page, or simply come visit our warehouse here in Toronto, ON. You can also email your inquiries to info@allanrug.com. Thank you!
  • Tania Summers
    9 anni fa
    A corner china cabinet to the right corner of the room and a plant to the left?
  • Lollipop 6209
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Also, I've tried the blue & white pot on the table before but it felt waaayyy too big.
  • Donna Fraser
    9 anni fa
    Do you have any lighting bedsides the pot lights ? I would love to see a chandelier above that table.

Also painting that fireplace wall a nice warm colour (perhaps the rust colour from your curtains ) or pull another colour from your curtains and put that one the one wall. Add some accessories/art in the same colours to tie it all together.

I would put a large mirror above the fireplace. You need some bling in there.
  • Ann
    9 anni fa
    Please make sure you order a length that can be hung quite close to the ceiling and will extend to the floor.
  • leelee
    9 anni fa
    A larger rug with some color could be a good place to start. Then add big art to balance your substantial table.
  • leelee
    9 anni fa
    Can you remove the seat cushions from your chairs? If so, you could add new fabric to brighten up the look.
  • leelee
    9 anni fa
    Add a little color to the top of the table.
  • Ann
    9 anni fa
    I was thinking a larger rug with color would be great too. But, if you do that, hold off on the drapes so you can coordinate with the rug.
  • PRO
    JCA Design Group
    9 anni fa
    The suggestion of sprucing up the tabletop is good one. I would stick to a piece that is low and wide, like a dark round bowl around 8-inches high filled with green moss, or a candle arrangement on a copper tray. Your neutral walls would certainly be complimented by blue and red-orange hues. The peacock picture leelee posted above has some wonderful blues, greens and gold/copper that would look amazing in your room.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 anni fa
    Bring those drapes home to see how they work with your pink carpet. I think they'll be too peachy. A sale is never reason enough to purchase something that doesn't work and that you can't return. I'd warm up the gray of the walls another level or two. Flank that single window with a pair of consoles, chests or demi-lune tables and lower the art. You may need to lower the art right now so that the center points are 5' above the floor. When you place furniture under them they'll need lowering more, or you could add mirrors above them. Have you tried the pink rug under the dining table? You might do that and add a round one under a round foyer table out in front of the fireplace. Or you might leave the foyer without a rug, if it is where people might track in over a good quality one.
    DC Design House Foyer 2011 · Maggiori informazioni

Home Styles The Regency Bombe Chest in Black Finish · Maggiori informazioni

Gates Mills Estate, OH · Maggiori informazioni

Buck County Traditional · Maggiori informazioni
  • groveraxle
    9 anni fa
    I've always liked those PB curtains. Get a rug in one of the colors of the curtains, then use the bay as a real window seat, or to display your green thumb.
  • groveraxle
    9 anni fa
    It occurs to me that the rugs above are too contemporary for your space. Here's a more reserved one:
  • everdebz
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Hi. PB curtains seem sort of terra cotta peach - so nice with your floor and copper, etc. And not so peachy that it over-sugars your pink rug - I'm used to QVC showing the board of all the many colors they say you can pick out from such a rug for accents... :)
  • everdebz
    9 anni fa
    I have been curious how it works that 2 spaces open to each other have co-existing area rugs..... I guess it all depends on the style/s, color/s of everything else.

I like yellow / darkened a bit though? / with rosy rug,
    but to me it modernizes the table too much with such contrast....
    or maybe a blue muted more..
    the terra rust is fab but not with rosy.
  • momjoyce
    9 anni fa
    How about soft yellow/gold walls, a bright rug with a print, cover chairs with a contrasting color. A runner and large bowl on table. Even a nice large vase with fresh flowers.
  • Lollipop 6209
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks, all. I'm going to start with ordering the PB drapery panels, adding a runner and bowl to table, and showcasing some greenery to the bay window area as Groveraxle mentioned. You've been very helpful. I will update with pictures soon!
  • Ann
    9 anni fa
    Looking forward to pictures of your updates!
  • everdebz
    9 anni fa
    Not saying these grow indoors, but reminds me of your new curtains and rug, etc.... a rosy terra cotta. What if you planted pink/ white/ yellow? Supermarkets seem to frequently sell bright kalanchoes in those colors.
    Mediterranean Garden · Maggiori informazioni

terracotta planters · Maggiori informazioni

Great Accents · Maggiori informazioni

Living Room Spring Refresh · Maggiori informazioni
  • everdebz
    9 anni fa
    Or brown-ish pots / your copper planter like table set could go by the window on both sides of a colorful bench.
    Cottage Perennial · Maggiori informazioni
  • Christina's deco
    9 anni fa
    Colorful rug under table ..add centerpiece..tall plant in corner
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".