Houzz Logo Print
elisenyc

Tilt & Turn Windows - Blinds/Window Coverings - Help

elisenyc
11 anni fa
I am having tilt and turn windows installed because double hung destroy the view from my apartment. What do I do for blinds? I cannot find anything. Help.

Commenti (39)

• PRO
    User
    11 anni fa
    how do tilt and turn windows operate? I'm not familiar with the term.
  • elisenyc
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Tilt & Turn Windows open from the top by opening out or from the side out.
  • lionnessone
    11 anni fa
    What size are the windows and can you post photos? I need to see the frames of the windows.
  • PRO
    User
    11 anni fa
    I love this type of window. They also come with built in blinds that will completely block out all light. Very easy to clean!
  • PRO
    Weatherwell Elite - Aluminum Shutters
    11 anni fa
    Hi Elisenyc,

Do they open from the top or from the side?
  • elisenyc
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    The windows open from the top and the side depending on the handle position. The window is a triple window 105 x 60 made up of a picture window flanked by two tilt and turn windows. The manufacturer I am required to use does not offer the option of pre-installed blinds in the window. A picture of a similar window is attached.
  • lionnessone
    11 anni fa
    Check out Hunter Douglas.
    Are the windows in your bathroom or bedroom?
    [houzz=
    Vignette Roman Shades · Maggiori informazioni
    ][houzz=
    Warm Elegance · Maggiori informazioni
    ]
  • elisenyc
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Windows are in bedroom and living room. I spoke to a senior sales rep at Hunter Douglas and was told Hunter Douglas has nothing. So far the only option appears to be an English brand called Perfect Blinds that do not seen to available in the US. My neighbors do not have blinds up but some have blackout blinds with a rod above the windows. There must be a solution to have privacy with air flow.
  • PRO
    User
    11 anni fa
    If your windows open out, then why wouldn't 2" wood blinds work? You can adjust the slats for privacy and still get air flow. Unless I'm missing something.
  • David Antoniuk
    11 anni fa
    I'm looking at buying some tilt and turn windows myself, and was just researching this. Here's a US distributor for a German shade company that makes a taut line "top down / bottom up" shade to allow tilting.
    http://rs-sylko.com/pages/plissee_1.html
    0 seconds ago
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 anni fa
    Check out Fenstermann Windows here on Houzz. Search discussions for Fenstermann and David, their SoCal rep will be in the loop. Fenstermann is a German company and they do lots of tilt/turns...and have window treatment options as well.
  • elisenyc
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    David -- Thank you! I have contacted the US distributor. Ironwood - I will also look into Fenstermann. Finally I may have options!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 anni fa
    These are virtually standard in Germany, France and Switzerland. I hang blinds and curtains without a problem. We roll the blind up when we want to open the window. Either the blinds are hung above the window frame, or in some cases I have seen them attached to the window (but never paid attention to how)
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    11 anni fa
    I supply German made windows, doors, screens, shades, and exterior roller shutters. Fenstermann has 10 years experience working with over 60 manufacturers to supply these products ON TIME, and on budget.

We have the shades you are looking for through about 3 different companies to provide the most options.

Please view our website: www.plissee.ca < Full website dedicated to our German shades.
  • David Antoniuk
    11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    How do the taut-line blinds attach to tilt windows on the top and bottom? Does this involve screws? Are there any side rails? I'm looking at using these on a Marvin Tilt Turn.

I'm on the website, under Technical Details, looking at PL-11, 12, and 13, which seems to be the taut-line versions. Do these allow both top down and bottom up adjustments?
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    Yes, we have these shades availble to attach without putting screws into the window. If you would like to discuss in detail, you can email me or call me directly. My contact info is listed on my profile.
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    11 anni fa
    @David Antoniuk We provide a bracket that clamps onto the window without the need to put screws in. The window treatments are then attached to the bracket. So, they are the same top-down/bottom-up window treatments you see on the website.
  • dekeoboe2
    10 anni fa
    I also need blinds for our tilt turn windows and do not want to screw into the upvc windows. I need them for both the operating windows and the fixed glass windows. What did you finally decide? We are also on the east coast and there don't seem to be any suppliers here.
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    10 anni fa
    I ended up supplying some people in New York with window treatments because of this thread. I would be happy to help you. Just send the measurements to me via email: david@fenstermann.com
  • elisenyc
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    I am the the NY person who ordered blinds from Fenstermann. The blinds arrived last week and are beautiful. I have not installed yet because of logistics (waiting for a visit from my Dad) but will report back. As the thread indicates I was at my wits end trying to find window coverings and this site provided the solution.
  • PRO
    User
    10 anni fa
    As luck would have it, we have talked about this on our blog http://cellularwindowshades.wordpress.com/your-design-forum/ You can mount a shade above the window to drop over the window or perhaps use a roller shade with a reverse roll (or waterfall) as they call it.
  • dekeoboe2
    10 anni fa
    David - I have sent you an email
    CellularWindowShades - If I mount a shade above the window on the drywall, it would end up being far away from the window itself because I have very deep window returns. It cannot be an inside mount because there is not enough room - the window would not be able to be opened.
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    10 anni fa
    I got your email. Sorry for not responding sooner, I have been out all day! I will get back with you soon.
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    10 anni fa
    These shades attach to the Sash of the window/door, and operate with it. These are European style windows, and this is the window treatment that accompanies them in Europe where they are used the most.
  • Rudy Batties
    10 anni fa
    check out RS-Sylko.com
  • Rudy Batties
    10 anni fa
    There dealers offer a wide choice of products for these windows
  • rudybatties
    9 anni fa

Shades for tilt and turn windows from rs-sylko.com

• gneral
    9 anni fa

in VT, i have tilt & turn windows, hoping for venetian blinds, will look into some options listed above..open to ideas & help. thanks!

• PRO
    RS Sylko
    8 anni fa

We import German window shades including top down/bottom up Venetian blinds that will work on your tilt and turn windows. We have dealers in various locations in the US - please contact us for more information

info@rs-sylko.com

• freddiemac2009
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

These windows suck. We moved into a lux condo in Brooklyn equipped with these dumb things. We love to enjoy the summer cross breezes in the place but live in an urban area. If you open the window as a turn in, the entire window swings in and you have zero privacy virtually everyone in the street and the building across can see right in. (Picture the scene in Bourne Supremacy when Damon jumps through the windowless balcony, same thing.) The window is gone and you are literally looking through an open hole in your wall right out into the street or the guy across. No way to put a blind in front of it because of its swing in design. You can put a blind into the window panel itself for 200 bucks but same thing applies if you swing the window open to catch a breeze - better be dressed to impress. If you use the tilt option, you get not much more than a 6" gap at the very top of the window and 3" along the sides, so goodbye fresh air. They may as well be hermetically sealed because you're going to need to run the air conditioning even in 70 degree weather due to the lack of air flow. Unless you live in the country and can see the Swiss alps or rolling French vineyards when you swing half your wall into the room stick with windows you can open sanely as a slide up sash and still keep your privacy.

• stp1023
    7 anni fa

EliseNYC could you post a pic of your turn and tilt window with the blinds please. I am considering purchasing them in place of casement windows but am curious of how they look. Also do the turn and tilt windows have window screens, if so could you provide a pic that demonstrates the exterior look of the window. I would appreciate it.

• PRO
    Sustainable Shades LLC
    7 anni fa

Stp1023, Take a look at www.sustainableshades.com in NYC.

• PRO
    User
    7 anni fa

***EDIT: I see this thread was brought back to life from 2012 original post date. Well anyhow, here's some information if anyone is interested.***

Here's another example of tilt turn windows for those that were asking:

Tilt Turn Windows · Maggiori informazioni

Also, we have low-profile window shades available in many different patterns, styles and opacity. Here's an example in a modern home we recently did:

(It was a little boy's room so excuse the lime green color, haha!)

A-Frame Modern · Maggiori informazioni

(The view when they are completely open. You hardly notice them)

If you're interested, contact us at hello@glowindows.com and we can get you pricing, etc.

Hope this helps!

• PRO
    User
    7 anni fa

stp1023 here's an image of screens on our tilt turn windows. Although, I'm sure this differs from company to company. Ours are quite discreet.

(from exterior -screen frame color matched to window)

(from interior -when window is open)

(from an off-grid project we did -exterior)

Fish Creek Off-grid Residence · Maggiori informazioni

(interior)

Fish Creek Off-grid Residence · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    Seemray
    6 anni fa

If you are looking for Tilt and Turn Windows in the USA - check us out. We specialize in all types, styles, shapes of Tilt Turn European style windows. Our Site

• PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    6 anni fa

@ Seemray: The original post is from 2012 - I am sure they already got their tilt and turn windows installed. They were looking for window treatments like these...Contact us please.

www.PleatedBlindsStore.com

• PRO
    Mokush
    6 anni fa

there are very good roller blinds systems made in melbourne for many years specially designed to work very good on tilt and turn windows and doors

www.mokush.com

• Jenna Evans
    4 anni fa

My new condo in Chicago has these tilt and turn windows and a patio door. They all open in, and no extra space was built in to allow for window coverings. And they are really tall. ultimately I went with Fenstermann and I’m so glad - they are perfect!! I used the stick-on method because I didn’t want to screw into the window and it literally could not have been easier. Everything installed within minutes. The shades sit cleanly on the glass and move with the window/door so there’s no interference. Beautiful solution. Ingo was great - fun and easy to work with. The product arrived quickly and was easy to install by myself. I highly recommend this product! Fenstermann.com for the win.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".