Houzz Logo Print
jrdietz86

Paint help: which grey to use with a beige ceiling

11 anni fa
We are purchasing this home and will close in a couple weeks. This will be my daughter's nursery. Her current nursery is a very light silvery grey, but I know that would clash with the beige ceiling in this room. Which grey do you recommend I use to not clash with the ceiling. Or what color would you recommend (even if not grey). I've been considering different colors as well. Her furniture is mostly white with a large framed portrait of a mom and baby elephant taken by a friend in Africa printed black and white. Her accents are pink and we currently have some natural wood tones as well. I've attached a picture of the fabric from her sheets and the room she will be moving into. Her crib skirt is light grey with white polka dots and we have a pink and white paper mobile. Thank you!

Commenti (16)

• 11 anni fa
    I'm considering BM dark pewter like this nursery: http://www.housetweaking.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mabrey-kids1.jpg
  • PRO
    11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    If you like the pink and grey combination, try finding a nice sunny yellow for the walls. Pink, grey, and black can work well with yellow, but I wouldn't introduce any more colors in the room...I would go with a solid on the window treatment as well. Best of luck in your new home!
  • 11 anni fa
    BM Revere Pewter would be perfect for this room as the color will change from beige to gray, depending on the light.
  • 11 anni fa
    I really don't want to paint the ceiling. The entire house has the same color ceilings, and we don't have extra paint to know the exact color so it would be a pain in my hiney to paint it back. We'd like to keep the ceilings as is.
  • 11 anni fa
    It looks like a pinky-beige, do you think the wall color might blend?
  • 11 anni fa
    What do you mean? Currently all the ceilings in the house are the same color as the walls.
  • 11 anni fa
    From here the walls, ceiling & carpet look pinky-beige. I think pinky-beige might bend with the fabrics you have chosen. Are you feeling stressed out?
  • 11 anni fa
    No, I just didn't understand what that means. Is that a good thing? Bending? I'm wanting to paint the room, but not paint the ceiling. I'd like her room to be a little more special than beige floor to ceiling. Does that make sense?
  • 11 anni fa
    Here's another room with the same paint/carpet to compare.
  • 11 anni fa
    You have very pretty pink and grey decor for your daughter's nursery. I would choose to paint the walls a very, very pale pink.
    My favorite bedroom photo on Houzz shows this color pink in the bed covering.

I saw this information and thought you might find it interesting:
    Color choices for a room for adults and families in a home and color choices for learning spaces for children MUST be approached from different perspectives.

To quote Faber Birren, "A haphazard indulgence in bright accents - rugs, furniture, accessories - may be charming and all that, but it is largely meaningless. What may be done in a home is no one's business but the owner's and [the] decorator's, but if the physiological and psychological needs ... are to be served, colors should not be chosen on whim or impulse."
    From "Color and Human Response: Aspects of light and color bearing on the reactions of living things and the welfare of human beings"
    Van Nostrand Reinhold Company
    ISBN 0-442-20787-5

It is necessary for those designing learning environments for children to have expertise in the area of the impact of environmental color on the learning capacity of children, and the physiological response of the human child's body to different colors. Designers and parents would be well advised to devote considerable time to research in this area. Their study must focus only on the effects of color on CHILDREN.
  • 11 anni fa
    Typo in previous post: "blend" not "bend".

Your art + fabric might enough to make the room special. I like a room to showcase the art & the bedding fabrics & have the walls, ceiling, carpet take a minor roll.
    Pink and Green Nursery · Maggiori informazioni
  • 11 anni fa
    I guess I want to paint it to make it feel happier. The beige makes me feel blah. But happier doesn't necessarily mean brighter walls, just calm and happy feeling. I kind of want her to feel like she's being hugged. We will have a separate play room so this space is only for sleeping and reading etc.
  • 11 anni fa
    Beige is not a good choice for a child's space, and even you feel blah in a room that is beige. Your daughter will take her cues from you at her young age.

What color makes YOU feel calm and as if you are being hugged? It might be a color that you are not currently using in the nursery at all!

You could make an Ideabook for yourself called "Hugs." You should feel happy and calm when you look at these photos. You might find some inspiration for your daughter's room, too.

Best wishes.
  • PRO
    11 anni fa
    Well said jrdietz86. I am not a big gray expert - as I too have my walls play minor roles - however, I am learning. I do know how a room feels - I can actually see how rooms feel by looking at a photo so I agree - your daughters room must be calm and happy. That said the pewter gray you are considering is too dark in my opinion and looks to pull green - I would look to trying swatches once you acquire the home and live with the colors for a few days before making the final decision.
  • 11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    Love the idea of stripes (two shades of pink-color matched to your bedding) and soft gray walls... [houzz=
    Spanish Oaks Residence Bedroom · Maggiori informazioni
    ]
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".