4tocome

Help my kitchen

4tocome
9 anni fa
Should I paint the cabinet or keep them

Commenti (43)

• hayleydaniels
    9 anni fa
    If you want to paint them, hire it done so they look decent. They aren't nearly as easy to paint as home reno shows make them out to be.
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Eskandari Stone
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Painting the cabinets could be the best option to transform the entire look of your kitchen.
  • georgianagrum
    9 anni fa
    I think you should paint the cabinets. Also you should consider changing the light.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 anni fa
    I'm all for stained cabs but that color doesn't suit me. I would paint them. Although, if you still want a wood grain pattern then here's an idea. Click on link below the photo to get more info
    Fooling Mother Nature. . . painted cabinets · Maggiori informazioni
  • PRO
    HOMARY LIMITED
    9 anni fa
    It is great now, but if you want to change a new look, I think white is pretty.
  • 4tocome
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you everyone. We will eventually change the lighting just not right now. I am thinking to put some mosaic pack splash , grey tone colors. I will see from there. I feel bad painting wood, at the same time I don't like too much of it.
  • PRO
    CORINNE GAIL INTERIOR DESIGN LLC
    9 anni fa
    Agreed. Hire a professional cabinet painter for the job. Add crowns to the cabinet tops, new hardware, and under cabinet lighting for a fresh updated space.
  • Sue V
    9 anni fa
    Paint, paint, paint. My kitchen is similar. Here's what I did. Also, put some galvanized sheet metal in the back of your open cabinets.
  • User
    9 anni fa
    I would paint the cabinets, but hire it done, and make sure to use a high quality wipeable paint. I recommend duration from Sherwin Williams in a dark charcoal color. This would add contrast to your space. Also to update your kitchen even more I suggest some modern pulls in a brushed nickel. To accent your cabinets and bring life to the space I would put in some glass tile back splash. You can go the extra mile and put in under cabinet lighting that would make the tile glow also. Good luck with everything!

Gray 2121-10 Benjamin Moore Paint · Maggiori informazioni

Vintrav Slate Grey 1/2 in. x 2 in. Glass Mosaic Tiles, Sheet · Maggiori informazioni

4118-1BPN-P Brushed Nickel Cabinet Pull by Berenson · Maggiori informazioni
  • PRO
    Stone Harbor Hardware
    9 anni fa
    Painting the cabinets would definitely give your kitchen a new feel. I'd also suggest updating the cabinet hardware as well. There are lots of options to choose from, depending on the look you like. Good luck!
  • 4tocome
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you so much. I already got some brushed nickel hardware. I don't know about dark color cabinet though.
  • Shirley Lise
    9 anni fa
    Medium to dark grey cabinets and change out the range hood to stainless steel and upgrade countertops to solid surface in white.
  • PRO
    Valley Floors
    9 anni fa
    Does your kitchen layout work well for you? That's the first decision you should make before deciding whether or not to paint.
    If it does, I vote yes for paint to give your kitchen an updated feel. The floor is also making the room look and feel dated. If budget allows, I would consider changing that as well.
  • housegal200
    9 anni fa
    Yes, get the cabinets professionally painted and add new hardware. Pick a color from your speckled countertop, but go very pale. You're lucky to have a couple open cabinets. If you paint the cabinets a very pale gray, for example, paint the open cabinet backs an accent color--maybe yellow or turquoise. Or continue with the cabinet color but display beautiful glassware and pottery in an accent color in those open cabinets.
  • 4tocome
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Lovely, taking notes I love all your suggestions. Thank you
  • PRO
    Complete Lumber Kitchens and More
    9 anni fa
    the function of the layout is timeless. That is a very functional plan. I would as a KB designer (still working out my profile) is do whatever hardware you prefer. You mentioned you already have new satin nickel so go with it. I would add some little puck lights in the open cabinets you have some frames made with glass. This should be fairly inexpensive the stain is a common one so matching shouldn't be a problem. I hear ya on feeling bad about painting wood. You'll still have the grain showing through . do the easy stuff before you go and uproot your kitchen. Lighting an inexpensive backsplash and that hood, it needs new life. Can't wait to see the updated pictures!
  • PRO
    Orchard Home Design
    9 anni fa
    Even with the kitchen light on there are some darker areas such as the corners above the cabinets. For this reason alone I'd concur that painting the cabinets is a good idea, as well as keeping it off white. I would also suggest a cabinet company do the painting; they will be able to uninstall and re-install the doors without damage.

If you are looking for something more modern you might consider having the frames painted a dark grey for contrast.
    4tocome ha ringraziato Orchard Home Design
  • 4tocome
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you Jen I do want to do the easy stuff first. Those open cabinets have door. I took them out wanting to remove the wood center and put glass. I like the light idea. Agree about the hood just looking for a good deal. It looks like I will start by the backsplash.
  • 4tocome
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I am not looking for a modern look. I prefer farmhouse styles. The color I considred is cream.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 anni fa
    Paint white. Add backsplash.
    4tocome ha ringraziato Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 anni fa
    Use bronze hardware, for look you want. Change out faucet to same. Your lighting is not working. I would spend money on recessed lighting. It will give you a whole new look.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 anni fa
    Add a over the range stainless micro wave for a updated look. After Xmas many deals.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 anni fa
    After looking at counters. Go a cream on cabs. Backsplash take all colors in counters with a dark chocolate mix. Glass long tiles.
  • 4tocome
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I agree on the lighting. This is the reason I am thinking to do the paint myself to save the money for professional electrical, flooring and stone countertop.
  • gissmf
    9 anni fa
    I'd say paint them, we did ours ourselves in a previous house and never looked back. I'd recommend taking the doors off and using a paint sprayer on a flat surface. New hardware makes a huge difference too
    4tocome ha ringraziato gissmf
  • sefac
    9 anni fa
    I agree with others about painting and lighting. That would be a great first step towards removing the generic "blandness" that besets the kitchen.
    4tocome ha ringraziato sefac
  • PRO
    Kass Wilson/ WallsTreat Studio
    9 anni fa
    This is almost identical to a project we just completed. It is on my profile page and is titled "beyond color". It is the most popular kitchen transformation that we have done and would work perfectly for you.
    4tocome ha ringraziato Kass Wilson/ WallsTreat Studio
  • PRO
    Thelma Jarvis Royal LePage Lakes of Muskoka
    9 anni fa
    Paint your cabinets. It is not hard if you are prepared to do the time consuming sanding that is needed before you prime and paint.
    4tocome ha ringraziato Thelma Jarvis Royal LePage Lakes of Muskoka
  • PRO
    Elements Interior Design Studio
    9 anni fa
    Yes I would paint the cabinets an off white (not a creamy vanilla). Since you are going for a farmhouse look you could select a back splash that it is pottery or a marble- less contemporary than a glass linear tile. Add some inexpensive thin bead board cut from a sheet to the backs of the open cabinets. Not sure what your hardware looks like but a cup pull on the drawers and a simple knob on the doors would look nice. You mentioned doing stone on the counter, if this is in your semi near future do that before your splash. Even if you are doing it in phases always have it all planned out first so that all finishes flow. There are companies that do a thin quartz wrap over your counters that may be less. Or pick a simple light granite and do a subway splash in marble or ceramic. Eventually change the hood to over the range micro hood. Also remove the dated towel bar at the end of the cabinet. I don't know what other floors surround and connect to your kitchen but consider doing wood or a wood look tile to add rustic texture. But do not put wood looking tile next to real wood as that just looks like an after thought and unattractive. Or you can do a simple porcelain. And yes change the lighting. Have fun and post your results!
  • 4tocome
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you so much for all your input. I was thinking a marble countertop could you, please, send me a picture of the pottery or marble backsplash you mentioned. Thank you
  • PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    9 anni fa
    I totally agree with the comment about having them professionally painted if you are not skilled as a painter yourself. It's not as easy as it looks, especially if you want the finish to last AND look good. Be aware that having them professionally painted is not as inexpensive as most people imagine either. A professional would remove the hardware before painting and you can put this right back on after as it would be consistent with your stated preference for a country look.

That said, my first question would be "what is your motivation for the reno and how long are you planning to stay in this house"? Painting can be a viable alternative if the cabinet boxes themselves work. However, putting a stone top (any kind of solid surface, actually) over old cabinetry is only a good idea if you're affording this for your own pleasure and will be staying put for long enough to justify the expense. If you don't already have roll-out shelves in your lower doored cabinets, spend your money there instead for improved function.

If you are replacing the floor tile, make that decision first and make sure your cabinet colour works with it. Creamy, off-white, etc. is a good direction for a country kitchen but there are other alternatives. What's happening in the rest of the house? The backsplash decision must work with the floor and the counter tops, so make those decisions together.

More lighting (especially under-cabinet) and a better central light would help everything. If you are planning on pot lights (not very country!) make sure they a placed close enough to the cabinets to light the front of the counter surface, not the top of your head, or worse, behind you when standing at the counter.
    4tocome ha ringraziato Elizabeth Minish Design
  • PRO
    Elements Interior Design Studio
    9 anni fa
    I would not recommend doing a marble counter in a kitchen as it softer and porous and is prone to staining. Although there are some gorgeous marbles and are often used in traditional style kitchens, you have to be very careful with what comes in contact and very diligent with sealing the countertops. There are some lovely light toned granites that would work as well. Attached is an example of a Calcutta marble splash which has touches of taupe and grey and is warmer than Carrera marble. I agree that unless you are going to be in your home a long time, it can be an expensive option.
    4tocome ha ringraziato Elements Interior Design Studio
  • 4tocome
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    This is our first house. I just want to brighten up the kitchen for my own eye pleasure. Any other changes we will do are not planned for the near future. The first serious change will be the floor though. We have carpet throughout the house with those white tiles in the kitchen and dining area.
  • PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    9 anni fa
    So if you have carpet in the rest of the house, what are you hoping to change the tile flooring to? And what colour is your carpet?

You should be looking at your house as a whole and creating an over-arching style idea based on its architecture and your taste so that no matter when you are able to get to the changes, everything pulls in the same direction. Painted cabinets are on trend right now. Consider that by the time you get to the changes you want to make down the road, stained cabinets may be back in vogue. Pendulums swing.

Much is made of colour clashes, but not many people talk about the concept of a style clash. I you like a country kitchen, consider that stained or natural wood-toned cabinets are totally consistent with that style. Your wall colour is not doing anything for the wood tone presently and it doesn't appear to tie into either the floor colour or the counter top. You are also hampered by having no window in your kitchen or at least one is not shown.

There are many helpful comments on this thread, but really, you might want to consider engaging the services of a designer who could help you devise a style statement for your whole home and then create a priority list for your available budget. If money is tight, don't even think about a stone counter top as a place to start. Or a back splash for that matter.

Invest some up-front money in a plan.
    4tocome ha ringraziato Elizabeth Minish Design
  • PRO
    TaLord Interior Design
    9 anni fa
    Hi 4tocome. You probably are a bit overwhelmed by now, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in. Your question was should I paint my cabinets over keeping the oak. Yes. Professionally painted or colored stain is the way to go. For a county look that will coordinate with the stainless, I recommend a dark blue gray. Grey to keep the blue toned down and blue to keep it from going too modern and cold. Your counters and floors are light so the room can handle some depth of color. Sounds like you picked your new hardware, but stay away from modern pulls. Beyond that, others' comments about lighting, adding crown to the cabinets, and a new hood/microwave are good. Replacing counters to stone or new flooring will be a bigger ticket item. If were you, I'd splurge on the backsplash. Do NOT do anything glass or liner style. These are too modern and are going to date-quickly. Choose something very different and preferably stone to "help" the counter you are keeping. I can't see the counter well, but how about something like this? http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/098802/098802104033lg.jpg
    Natural stone in 4" tiles at $2.68/sq.ft.! (For easier cleaning, install a solid piece of stainless behind the stove. I hate scrubbing tile and grout!)
    Get a big fun indoor/outdoor rug with some great color for $100 bucks or so too! Have fun!
    4tocome ha ringraziato TaLord Interior Design
  • everdebz
    9 anni fa
    This reminds me of smvogel's look and a nice neutral to add to it the farmhouse reds etc.? People talk up Annie Sloan's paint... is there any benefit for you to distress a bit and then the last finish coat?
    Alamo, CA. Farmhouse. Full Service Design Firm. Master Bedroom. · Maggiori informazioni
    My Houzz: Colorful Vintage Finds fill a Chic Modern Farmhouse · Maggiori informazioni
  • everdebz
    9 anni fa
    What kind of tile is this - a wood look?
    and there's always yellow...
    Los Angeles Farmhouse Kitchen renovation · Maggiori informazioni

Farmhouse Hall · Maggiori informazioni
  • PRO
    Fidelity General Contractors Inc.
    9 anni fa
    Not in all cases is when we have to gut the entire kitchen in order to upgrade the look and functionality of the kitchen.
    In this case, my client's goal was to put the property for sale and to get maximum return on their investment, and before they took this step, I got to come in and update the interior and exterior of the house for this purpose.
    Here are some pictures;
    "Eclectic, trans-modern with some mid century touches"

Hope this will give you the inspiration you need.
    Good Luck,

Best,
    Karen
    Fidelity GC
    4tocome ha ringraziato Fidelity General Contractors Inc.
  • everdebz
    9 anni fa
    Not a kitchen but inspiration photo of red if you open for the display furniture etc.
    Nourison Graphic Illusions GIL09 5'3" x 7'5" Light Gold Area Rug 13093 · Maggiori informazioni
    4tocome ha ringraziato everdebz
  • Shelly
    9 anni fa
    If your not changing your counter top or flooring, I would go with a darker color for the cabinets.
  • jacksonbeth
    9 anni fa
    Paint it but I'm not sure what color though. If you want it professionally done check out Carolina Heartwood Cabinetry. They've been doing my cabinets and I'm satisfied with the result. You may also check out their website for ideas http://carolinaheartwoodcabinetry.com
    4tocome ha ringraziato jacksonbeth
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".