Houzz Logo Print
ckg54

Suggestions on basement floor covering

ckg54
9 anni fa
We remodeled the basement in our 85-year-old house in 2010. The contractor poured a new concrete floor -- to provide a level surface - before installing 20-by-20 ceramic tiles. I don't believe they put down a sub-floor or other barrier before setting the tiles. After our frigid winter last year, I noticed tiles in the middle of the floor beginning to 'tent'. Repairs are needed. Should the contractor have installed a sub-floor first?Should we spend the money to repair the existing floor that may have been improperly installed? Or should we start from scratch and have new flooring properly installed? We don't want to carpet the room, preferring hard-surface flooring that is easily cleaned. What would be the best solution?

Commenti (4)

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    9 anni fa
    The concrete below the tile IS the subfloor. Most basements do not have a moisture barrier in the subfloor or walls, expect moisture to seep in. Future knowledge: Next time use porcelain tile. Ceramic tile will act like a sponge when moisture is near. Porcelain tiles will absorb anywhere between .06% - .5% of moisture, making porcelain tiles ideal for outside use and wet areas such as showers.
    I will recommend porcelain tile with a PEI rating of 4 (commercial strength). Use a thinset with a latex additive for a stronger bond
  • PRO
    User
    9 anni fa
    Excellent advice from Cinar Interiors.... change out for a porcelain tile... loads of fabulous options on the market.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 anni fa
    It sounds like the new concrete + new floor + extreme weather has caused some issues. After 4 years it is probably too late to get the contractor to come in to repair for free. It sounds like you would do well with a floating floor...once the tiles are taken up, floor sanded and levelled once again.

A floating floor (like laminate, coretec, cork, vinyl, etc) will require a plastic vapour barrier over the concrete. This will help with any extra moisture that seeps through the slab.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".