Houzz Logo Print
suebk64

Kitchen remodel

suebk64
9 anni fa
We purchased this home and know the dated kitchen needs to be remodel. The ceilings are very high, hence the soffit. The layout opens to the family room. I would like to move the stove top from the island and replace with a range placing it in the area to the left of the refrigerator with a decorative hood, also move the frig and oven to the right and place the microwave under the island countertop. Thoughts?

Commenti (16)

• User
    9 anni fa
    Moving appliances requires moving electricals and usually plumbing. Are you planning a remodel or rehab the existing? One thing I'd do for sure is eliminate the desk and add a cabinet and level the counter. I

f you're ripping everything out, hire a designer for a few hours to give you suggestions and practical advice.
    suebk64 ha ringraziato User
  • Martha Carlton
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Keep in mind your work triangle which is your walk from the range to the sink to the fridge and back to the range. This should be configured to save steps and also give you adequate work space. Neither the configuration you described nor the existing one has a good one. You have plenty of space so you will be able to include many wonderful things. Have fun
    suebk64 ha ringraziato Martha Carlton
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    9 anni fa
    You also want to make sure that the vent fan can easily vent to outdoors from wherever you place it. Are you thinking of placing the range on an exterior wall so the fan can vent through the wall, or will the hood be able to vent directly through the roof from the new location?

I know that people love islands, but it looks as if your island is smack in the middle of what could be an optimal work triangle. So often people will shoehorn an island in and find that they cannot open the dishwasher or refrigerator or oven door without completely blocking traffic. Do you use that little desk? That might be a new location for the microwave.

I second Lauren's suggestion for hiring a kitchen design professional.
    suebk64 ha ringraziato Lynne Mysliwiec
  • suebk64
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you for all your comments. I think I will work with a designer to help me figure out a good flow to the kitchen. And believe me I am getting rid of the little desk. I will let you all know how it is going.
  • PRO
    AK Complete Home Renovations
    9 anni fa
    Where are you located suebk64? We would surely lose the soffit and add additional storage. We can't tell you HOW many times we've done this around Atlanta. We also frequently have to redirect venting as most builders rarely get this right or provide proper power for the vent.
    Here is one of our kitchens where we removed a soffit and completely changed the function of the kitchen by moving the cooktop/sink/appliances: http://www.akatlanta.com/Award-Winning-Kitchen-Remodel-Marietta
  • suebk64
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you for sharing your pictures of the kitchen. We are located in Florida, but I really like the cabinets with the lighting above them.
  • PRO
    AK Complete Home Renovations
    9 anni fa
    They make a great option for storing items you only use a few times a year, and they add additional light as well as keeping your eye moving upwards to really accentuate the height of the room!
    Good luck!
  • Mary V
    9 anni fa
    Please..eliminate the soffits no matter what your ceiling height is!
  • PRO
    Gordon Tobey Developments
    9 anni fa
    Agreed with the others, removing the bulkhead would greatly open up and brighten the space. There are a lot of great ways to "lower" the look of the ceiling if its overwhelming, such as hanging task lighting. Start sketching ideas out on paper, that way you can see if you are keeping within the 'triangle' of kitchen design. Having an island between the sink and the stove & fridge might not be the best flow, but with proper measurements it could work out.
  • PRO
    Midtown Cabinetry & Designs
    9 anni fa
    As a Kitchen Designer I would Keep the frig where it is and move the microwave in the area left of the frig (above the counter - much more convenient to work with and clean). Then place the range you want centered in the space to the right of the frig. I think a single work triangle is an old way of thinking and has now been replaced with the idea of multiple triangles or work zones. Though I do try to keep the path from the sink to the frig as unobstructed as possible as its the most commonly traveled path in the kitchen. Contact me directly, I would be happy to work with you if you cant find someone local.
    suebk64 ha ringraziato Midtown Cabinetry & Designs
  • PRO
    Marchi Kitchens
    9 anni fa
    Here are is some kitchen inspiration (plus decorative hoods)
    Style: Vintage · Maggiori informazioni

Style: New Classic · Maggiori informazioni

Best of luck with the new design. Let us know if you have any questions!
    suebk64 ha ringraziato Marchi Kitchens
  • PRO
    LEICHT New York
    9 anni fa
    If you're in the area, we have a free informative kitchen design class every second Saturday of the month. You're welcome to join us then, it includes breakfast too! Here is a link with more info on the class: http://www.leichtny.com/node/3778

Best of luck with the remodel! Let us know if you have any questions.
    suebk64 ha ringraziato LEICHT New York
  • suebk64
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Leicht NY-Thank you for the offer, wish I was closer to attend because I could really use this class.
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    9 anni fa
    I know that there is a hatred of soffits in the design world right now, and designers, I just don't get it. Sometimes soffits serve a purpose (bringing electricity, task lighting, etc.). The other purpose: bringing the top and middle shelves of cabinets down to a level where someone who isn't in the NBA can use them.

Storage near the ceiling isn't my idea of useful storage -- much better to put in a floor-to-ceiling pantry where the desk is and gain 36"x 24" x 18" of storage at waist level than 9"x12"x however many inches of run at nosebleed level. I have many more kitchen items that would benefit from being stored where I can easily reach them rather than 8 feet from the floor.

Also, can someone please explain how cabinets that stop short of the ceiling and create a shelf for collecting dusty, greasy goo are an attractive feature? I would MUCH rather have a soffit than a hard-to-clean-unless-you-bring-the-step-ladder-in-from-the-garage petri dish collecting kitchen grime.

Suebk64, If you don't mind the soffits, then don't feel pressured to take them out -- yours seem to be serving an admirable purpose -- to house lighting.

The little desk, OTOH is at least 3' x 2' x 3' (18 cubic feet) of easily used and reachable storage foregone -- a crime. :-)
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".