Oak Kitchen Makeover
The clients believed the peninsula footprint was required due to the unique entry points from the hallway leading to the dining room and the foyer. The new island increases storage, counters and a more pleasant flow of traffic from all directions.
The biggest challenge was trying to make the structural beam that ran perpendicular to the space work in a new design; it was off center and difficult to balance the cabinetry and functional spaces to work with it. In the end it was decided to increase the budget and invest in moving the header in the ceiling to achieve the best design, esthetically and funcationlly.
Specific storage designed to meet the clients requests include:
- pocket doors at counter tops for everyday appliances
- deep drawers for pots, pans and Tupperware
- island includes designated zone for baking supplies
- tall and shallow pantry/food storage for easy access near island
- pull out spice near cooking
- tray dividers for assorted baking pans/sheets, cutting boards and numerous other serving trays
- cutlery and knife inserts and built in trash/recycle bins to keep things organized and convenient to use, out of sight
- custom design hutch to hold various, yet special dishes and silverware
Elements of design chosen to meet the clients wishes include:
- painted cabinetry to lighten up the room that lacks windows and give relief/contrast to the expansive wood floors
- monochromatic colors throughout give peaceful yet elegant atmosphere
o stained island provides interest and warmth with wood, but still unique in having a different stain than the wood floors – this is repeated in the tile mosaic backsplash behind the rangetop
- punch of fun color used on hutch for a unique, furniture feel
- carefully chosen detailed embellishments like the tile mosaic, valance toe boards, furniture base board around island, and island pendants are traditional details to not only the architecture of the home, but also the client’s furniture and décor.
- Paneled refrigerator minimizes the large appliance, help keeping an elegant feel
Superior cooking equipment includes a combi-steam oven, convection wall ovens paired with a built-in refrigerator with interior air filtration to better preserve fresh foods.
Photography by Gregg Willett