Houzz Logo Print
thebeijaflor

Mirrors off centre from sink

M DMD
8 anni fa
Our cabinet guy changed our double vanity. So now our sinks are not centered, and our mirrors will not be directly above the sink.

Does this matter? I think it will look okay, but my husband has reservations. I'm going to attach photos so you can see what I mean. And I've roughly measured our where the mirror would sit. I'll also attach the mirror I want to buy. It's 36x48 and the wall space is 45x57 ish.

My husband thinks maybe we should just do a flat sheet mirror to cover the entire space, but I think they're boring. And to bevel it brings the price to $600 per side. I would rather buy a beautiful mirror to hang for that price.

Commenti (48)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

I'd be upset with your cabinetry person. Having said that, Hubby is correct, the mirrors will no longer work. Mirror the ENTIRE space, edge to edge and top to bottom above each sink. It will be a better, cleaner look with your vanity, lighting, and tower.and far more unifying. Someone did some very poor planning and design..

• M DMD
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Thank you, Jan. I appreciate your opinion as a professional. I just wish it weren't so.

I'm so upset. I really hate the look of mirroring the whole space. There are multiple reasons I am upset with our cabinet guy, but this is the biggest one.
  • shirlpp
    8 anni fa

The flat sheet mirror is what builders do when they first build a home - I tore mine out as fast as I could. Can you remove the cabinet on the vanity and maybe this will give you more options.

• M DMD
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Exactly :(

I really don't see the issue, my husband said I can do whatever I want to do, but knowing his concern and then having it backed up by a professional makes me nervous about going ahead.

I definitely want to keep the tower, and I definitely want to use the mirrors, but I also definitely want my husband to like it. Ugh.
  • juls81201
    8 anni fa
    Make the cabinet guy fix it and don't pay him until he does. Doesn't anyone have pride in their work anymore?! Jeeze!
  • hauzzhunter1
    8 anni fa
    You can mirror the spaces with sheet glass mirror but dress it up with moulding for a custom look. Place something tall and decorative on each end of the vanity.
  • d7e001
    8 anni fa

First and foremost - make the cabinet maker fix this if possible. It may take some effort, but you deserve what you paid for.

If for some reason you are stuck with it - this is what I would do. Get a narrower mirror and center over the sinks. Then put a towel ring (hook) on the other side of the mirror.

• athomeeileen
    8 anni fa
    Is the tower staying as open shelving? I think the mirrors you chose won't work unless you take the tower out and center them.
    If you love it have the cabinets redone. So frustrating when things are not as they should be!
  • User
    8 anni fa
    Have the cabinet guy rebuild. Hope you haven't paid him. . It will involve moving the plumbing too to center the sink. Everything is off, including the pot light not being centered above your sink.
    A beautiful beveled mirror installed on the entire wall is always my choice, much more custom look than a store bought mirror.
  • PRO
    Li'elt Designs
    8 anni fa

I would center the mirror on your side right above the sink, and either add a built-in shelf on the right side, or buy a shelf similar to your built-in and make it a fun addition to the bathroom. I love the mirrors you picked by the way!

• PRO
    Deb's Inviting Interiors LLC
    8 anni fa
    I disagree. Yes, the original plan of centering over the sink is the best, but this is not the reality. The mirror you choose is much nicer than a flat, stock grade mirror. It will be centered in the wall space and with the recessed light above. Go for it, then add a piece of decor in the corner to balance it out. Sometimes we have to pivot from our original design. Embrace it and enjoy your beautiful new bathroom.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 anni fa

This would make me crazy but this involves a lot more than moving the sinks if you center the sinks they won’t be centered on the base cabinet which IMO would make me even crazier I think the best solution is to mirror the wall , sorry but shy of ripping out the whole thing and starting over there is no easy fix and fyi get those stupid 3or4 “ pieces off the wall that is so dated you want your backsplash starting at the counter speaking of which i would make that fabulous since the mirror thing is not happening probably

• Toni Kendall
    8 anni fa
    Yes. your cabinet guy should fix it. But then you have incompetent plus angry, so i know why you might be reluctant. I've thought of another way that might fix it. Buy another tower and move them to the sides. then the sinks will be more centered (measure first). You will have to move the sconces out more, and the can lights. But if you're electrician is less stupid than your cabinet guy, this might work.
  • M DMD
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Deb, thank you so much. That reassurance is really helpful.

Patricia, your comment made me laugh. I love the brutal honesty. And I have to say that I agree with you about the 4" backsplash thing. It was standard and I didn't give it a second thought.

I love the idea of tiling the whole area behind the hung mirrors.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 anni fa

I beg to differ:

These are the choices. Ask the cabinet maker WHY he took the liberty of changing cabinetry. Was it because the plumbing was not considered? Or you didn't want to move existing plumbing?

Second, the faucets, and the lighting are clean and modern. There is no reason to flatly declare full mirror edge to edge "bad" simply because it is often a less expensive option. There is little room for trim, there is no crown molding.... simple things are already in place, barring a rip out. Sometimes it is BEST to go with what you have, or start over in total.

The cabinetry should have had a CENTERED bank of drawers and a door base on either side for sinks. Or drawers to accommodate the sinks. And the plumbing should have been correctly placed with a well thought out vanity. The tower should have been centered. So very sorry to say.......put lipstick on the you know what.......or it is a do over by the two or three, or four folks who made the errors. The only question is what will make you happiest long term. Sorry......those are the facts. Fix the big goof in design, or make the very best of it.

• Sylvia C
    8 anni fa
    Center the tower, remove the backsplash and replace with glass mosiac tile and use the beautiful mirrors you chose.
  • Jodie Hamilton
    8 anni fa
    Hang your beautiful beveled mirrors. If one sink was off centre. .. that would be a problem but both are equally off centre. Build something to place on counter next to each sink... so it looks intentional. Who knows... you may have started a new trend!

I have a similar dilemma with my kitchen sink... it's not centred under my window. I intend to buy a new sink with the holes off Centre so the faucet is as close to Centre and not worry about the sink. it's all about focal points.

Take the emphasis off your sinks. Get your creative mind going. A plant maybe? Pretty storage boxes? A large ornament? Good Luck! :)
  • Jodie Hamilton
    8 anni fa
    .... or simply remove the shelf tower.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 anni fa

I am out with this.............

If. At. All. Possible.......Do not throw more money at a mistake. Do not grow the problem. You end up spending the bad money, and then spend again in the end to do it correctly. Either take the far less expensive "lipstick fix" and live with it.....or do it right once and for all ,with fewer dollars than the more circuitous and expensive route. Plants, tile.....doo dads.....nothing will disguise the design flaw. You will just waste money and gasoline in the attempt....unless perhaps you purchase a tape measure for your cabinet maker and one for your plumber..

• M DMD
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Jan, you're killing me. Knives to my heart!

And you guys are telling me that the tower is not centered?You've got to be kidding me. I'm going to drive to the house this morning and check. I'm hoping it's just the camera angle.

My husband works away for weeks at a time, I had a 14 month old and was 9 months pregnant. I live in the states with all my family in England. I feel I really dropped the ball here. The house became a lower priority, and because of that I'm paying for it here.

I'm still torn. Even though Jan, I believe you to be right, I'm not sure that the right is the look I'm going to like the best. I have today to mull it over and then I need to get things on order.

Sylvia, I really like the idea of tiling BUT on the opposite wall I am doing a lot of tiling and I think it would be overkill to do behind the mirrors the more I think about it.
  • PRO
    Erick Valenzuela
    8 anni fa
    Just get rid of tower and maybe have those mirrors built in like medicine cabs in to wall for space lost by removing tower...
    Best luck.
  • poolroomcomesfirst
    8 anni fa
    Can you change from having two sinks separated by a tower to two sinks framed by towers? You'd have to move some electrical stuff, but it would probably cost less than cabinets and granite and plumbing... Something like these pics? But make sure you account for the can lights too, those will be off.

This would make me mad. But there is a solution here you will be happy with. You just have to find it.
  • sunnydrew
    8 anni fa
    I would ditch the tower and put the sconces on the rear wall, outside of the two mirrors. I would use those beautiful mirrors.
    You can fudge the centering of the mirrors to match the placement of the sinks if they are not evenly spaced in vanity, as it appears.
    Draw it on paper with measurements and then post for us. Maybe a center sconce would work, but I think the sinks are too close together for that.
    Good luck with it all. Here is what we did last year, removed recessed lights and got new vanity. I was all over the installers to be sure it came out as I had designed myself.
  • sunnydrew
    8 anni fa
    I am sorry that you have not been as hands on. Measure the space again . It looks like nothing is even. The drawers on the right look wider, which throws off the middle, etc, the tower only makes it more obvious.
    Maybe leave the sconces where they are, just remove the tower and center your mirror over the sink and counter space to fool the eye, but mostly over the sink. You still want to,see your whole face of course.
  • Jodie Hamilton
    8 anni fa
    Totally agree with SunnyD!
  • sunnydrew
    8 anni fa
    One more thing. If it were me, I would not even think about tiling the vanity area yet, just get this part done and you can always tile later ABOVE the existing backsplash.
    It sounds as though you have a lot on your plate already.
  • PRO
    Cindy Sherman, CKBD
    8 anni fa
    I say design to the space as it sets. The full mirror isn't going to help pull attention away from the issue at hand, it's more expensive and leaves you with less to design upon. I love the mirror you've chosen; hang it and seek out that perfect accent for the corner. If you ever decide you want a sheet mirror it's easier to do down the road, but not vice-versa.
    I would note that the edge of your sink is awfully close to the wood of the tower, be cautious and be sure to wipe up any splashes.
  • poolroomcomesfirst
    8 anni fa
    You'd have to go skinny on the sides. Think like a mini pullout out spice rack meets medicine cabinet with some open shelves over it for decorative stuff.

This could look really nice. The pic is pretty grainy but it's the only one I could find like this. (The question is, is it the only one I could find because no ones thought of it? Or because it's a dumb idea...)
  • PRO
    Gravitas
    8 anni fa

I agree with a couple of the comments above, get a narrower mirror centered over the sink, but rather than towel ring, I'd put three 4x6 or 5x7 pieces of art. Small detailed original pieces that you love. My opinion that a big mirror filling the space is a mistake...as was the cabinet guy's change. I have this layout in my bathroom and love it. Off center sink, off center mirror.

Derek Hurd

Gravitas, Inc.

Live/Work/Create District

Garden City, ID

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 anni fa

M DMD

I feel your pain. I really do , as so much of design is so very hands on . When they can't be your own "hands" they have to be someone else's!! But, it's a first world issue isn't it? Babies are far more important!

Admit you will not be happy until it is the way you want it. There is no sin in that. Build a new vanity......put ONE drawer base in the center, and center the tower. In remaining space on either side, center the sinks. Hang your mirrors.OR... ditch the tower totally, and have a custom, single, very large framed mirror made for the entire space above the vanity. That might be a good idea anyway, as cabinetry sitting directly on wet surfaces is not likely to look good for long, In the end, don't PUNISH yourself for the mistake. Life it too short. It's a bathroom..and a whole lot of folks would be happy to have the problem among all the things that can go so very wrong in life. Good Luck!!!!

• lukaweckyk
    8 anni fa
    Hang your beautiful mirrors and put a few decorative items on the counter such as an apothecary jar with soaps or sea shells, vase with flowers etc. Vary the height of the objects and it will look lovely. Don't blame yourself. You had a lot on your plate!
  • Lila
    8 anni fa

I agree with everyone who has suggested removing the tower. They really have a tendency to get messy looking over time and it looks like you have lots of storage in your vanity. Without the tower the mirrors you like will look fine. You had a good suggestion earlier to use them as medicine cabinets with storage in the wall. That's an easy thing for your contractor to do.

• Sandybean
    8 anni fa
    That tower really draws attention to the off center. Would look so much better without tower. One big framed mirror instead of two would hide the flaw better also. Why did you not make the carpenter fix it?
  • rocketjcat
    8 anni fa
    M Dmd, if you go to the house maybe take another picture (and measurements) to post straight on. It's hard to tell what is not centered from the current picture...I too thought it was just the tower that's not centered, since there's stuff on the counter it hard to see where the sinks line up.
  • Kivi
    8 anni fa
    I do not understand how the folks involved with the installation of this continued forward with the installation when it was clearly so messed up. There is no way I would let them off the hook without a good resolution ( which for me would be a complete redo). If for some reason you are choosing to keep it as is, why not just try hanging some mirrors there and see if you like it.
  • M DMD
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    I went and measured. The tower is centered correctly. There's 7 inches between the tower and the sink either side. The drawers are also all correct and the same on either side.

Thank you, everyone. I really mean it. I'm still undecided but i'll post photos when all is done and finished.
  • Toni Kendall
    8 anni fa
    This picture of better. The benefit of your off-center sinks is more counter space on one side of each sink. It gives you space for curling iron (or whatever). What if you hang the mirrors horizontally? Make it look intentional.
  • Sylvia C
    8 anni fa
    Your first picture made the tower look off-center. What i meant about the tile was put it in place of the current backsplash because i thought you would have to remove it to move the tower. Since the tower is actually centered, ignore that. I agree with others, put mirrors over sinks and use sconces or towel rings next to them to balance out the space.
  • rocketjcat
    8 anni fa
    Good, it's not as cattywompus as I initially thought! If you used your mirrors as you planned directly over the sinks, would there be room to the right and left of the mirrors to move the sconces to that empty space? That might look intentional.
  • M DMD
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Toni, that's what my Mum said. I do think it will be quite functional.

Rocket, the wall space on each side is 45 inches. The mirrors are 36.5 inches. That leaves 8.5 inches, 4.25 inches on each side of the mirror.

The sconces are 4 inches wide. So that leaves a tiny 1/4 inch. Between sconce and mirror. I think it's probably too tight of a fit, but a nice idea.

I just ordered my mirrors. Im too in love with them not to. It may not be perfect, but I can take imperfect if it means I get those mirrors... I think... we'll soon see! And my husband really does not care what I do. He said I can paint the walls lime green if that's what I like, so I'm going for it!

First world problems I feel lucky to have.
  • Penny Flatte
    8 anni fa

OK.. for my two cents: I like that you have some decent room on one side of each sink and this is consistent. I think the pot lights are fine as they are -they would look weird anywhere else, to me. I've been a kitchen and bath designer for over 15 years, now retired. My suggestion about the mirrors, which by the way, are gorgeous, is to put mirror upon mirror, in other words, line the wall with plain mirrored glass, then install your gorgeous rectangle mirrors. It will be like tricking the eye with all that reflective glass and you and Hubby get what you want. In the future, always hold back 25% of the design cost until it looks the way you want it to look - and negotiate this into your payment arrangements WITH DETAILED DESIGN CONFIGURATIONS. This will save you heartache in the future. Designers do this because our butts are on the line!

• sunnydrew
    8 anni fa
    It is not as bad as I first thought. You have it all balanced. Once you place your mirrors it will be fine. Thanks for sharing.
  • Lila
    8 anni fa

Looks great.

• PRO
    Deb's Inviting Interiors LLC
    8 anni fa

Very nice! I knew it would work out. The mirrors steal the show, so all is good!

• Toni Kendall
    8 anni fa
    It looks beautiful! Congratulations!
  • Jodie Hamilton
    8 anni fa
    All you notice are the mirrors. Awesome job! Now you have room for 'other' things under the mirrors. Focal point should be you looking in the mirror anyway... not the sink. Thx for your update ☺
  • susanalanandwrigley
    8 anni fa

Looks great, love that you have the extra counter space on the ends plus room for a wider bank of drawers as a result of the "accidental" off center sinks. It all looks put together now, enjoy!

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".