Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

Yay or nay: Photos on canvas?

Luke Buckle
9 anni fa
Photos printed on canvas have been around for a few years now - they are a simple way to enlarge and mount photos you love. But some people I've talked to believe not every photo looks better bigger. Where do you stand on them? Please leave your reasons below!
Hillsborough Residence · Maggiori informazioni
Yay
Nay

Commenti (36)

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    9 anni fa
    Ha, my dog is always trying to beg for something at the dinner table.........A large photo of his face at the dinner table would not be pleasant.........

However, I do like the idea that I can get enlarged good quality photos done for my projects......
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    9 anni fa
    I think it may be a good weight management program! I love using large photos on canvas, sometimes I prefer sepia tone.
  • condomary
    9 anni fa
    It doesn't have to be a picture. And it doesn't have to be big. When I had my townhome, I created a poster on Zazzle.ca then had it printed on canvas. I have since moved but still like my creation and have it in my office. .
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    9 anni fa
    I agree with Sustainable Dwelling. A few filters and Sepia or Black and White help it too look more calming.
  • bbkieffer
    9 anni fa
    I love photos on canvas! I have done several, and photo quality is definitely the key. I have some of nature photography on canvas and I get compliments every time someone sees it.
    Luke Buckle ha ringraziato bbkieffer
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 anni fa
    I do like the concept of having photos enlarged. I think can be quite a statement

Thanks,

J Design Group, Contemporary Miami Interior Designers - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • J J
    9 anni fa
    I just ordered my first canvas. After looking for the perfect art with no success, i decided my favorite was my very own landscape photo.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 anni fa
    It really depends on the subject matter and the quality of the image (resolution etc).

I like the pictures on canvas because it eliminates the frame and keeps you focused on the picture.
  • PRO
    China Furniture and Arts
    9 anni fa
    Agree with SoCal, the subject matter is key. Certain photos may not be appropriate for the setting in which they are displayed. If it adds something to the overall atmosphere or is meant to convey a message then it is probably appropriate.
  • PRO
    John MacLean Photography
    9 anni fa
    Canvas doesn't always imply larger, however because you don't have to mat and frame it, you can make the image larger. The costs for comparable sizes are generally more for the canvas vs. the print, but the stretching is generally less than framing. I used to be opposed to canvas, because the image quality isn't as good. However I'm coming around to the idea. I print both on my 44" wide Epson 9900 large format printer. I sell my own images as wall decor and print for other photographers. http://johnmaclean.com
  • PRO
    Jason Chuck
    9 anni fa
    I was "canvas"ing for ideas on this subject as well. I think it depends on the wall and the feel for the room. I put a couple of both portraits and landscape photos of mine onto canvas prints but I realised the space mattered more for these then my photo frames
  • nitronicky
    9 anni fa
    It is like any personal large striking art item. If someone dosn't like it, send them home. If it was of a can of cambell soup and had a famous signiture, nobody would question it. Nitro
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 anni fa
    Why not! I would do what you prefer.
  • amayart
    9 anni fa
    Why not investing in original local artist?
  • Jenny Drew
    9 anni fa
    I can't say no to that dog...
  • bichonluver3
    9 anni fa
    I am big into dog rescue. I say the bigger, the better of this one!
  • maverickcowgirl
    9 anni fa
    The quality of the canvas makes a big difference, I got some off an online store once and while they were high resolution pictures and only 12inch square pictures they looked grainy, and have never done it again. I do agree some pictures do not look good made bigger either, what can look nice in a small print can bring out flaws in people's faces, unsightly objects in the background of a landscape, or become down right scary etc. when blown up. The dog is cute.
  • kaseyhouse
    9 anni fa
    Photos should stay photos, canvas is for painters and their unique, painterly interpretations of something or someone, abstracted or not. Photos on canvas just don’t have the tactile quality to support them as art.
  • PRO
    Beth Covert Studio of Painted Design
    9 anni fa
    I do a number of these for clients as well as myself. I have a graphics background, which is helpful. Understanding printing, pixels, and Photoshop can produce some awesome pieces of art. Mine are never just a plain photo, but an altered and with text added sometimes.
  • PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    9 anni fa
    While I personally would not want this gigantic dog head staring at me while eating, I think blown up nature pictures like flowers and landscapes look great as long as they are of a significant Megapixel so you don't get a blurry image.
  • janofbagend
    9 anni fa
    Big pictures are great….I love the dog! Canvas suggests that a picture is actually a painting. It makes no sense to print a photo on canvas. There are lots of other surfaces that don't make the picture look fake.
  • Thdigby
    9 anni fa
    Fun, exciting and not very expensive
  • PRO
    Aman Than Interiors
    9 anni fa
    I use large canvases many time in my projects. I do think that in this case a smaller b&w picture of your loving pet would be more appropriate. It also give you an opportunity to showcase your many other beloved things, places and people. You can mix b&w with some coloured shots framed in simple sleek silver frames.
  • PRO
    simpleFLOORS
    9 anni fa
    Love large format photography. Canvas can look richer and can a bring a depth that you can't get from a paper. It's different on canvas. That said, many established photographers like Peter Lik and Jeff Mitchum with large galleries in Vegas use specialized expensive paper and some have their work available on canvas in LARGE SIZES. How these images are mounted makes a difference, When it's on canvas you can elimate the glass which makes all the difference, no reflection, warmer and actually can help with acoustics in a space. A seven foot long landscape done properly can make quite a statement. The resolution and content , of course is paramount.
  • PRO
    Remodel Works Bath & Kitchen
    9 anni fa
    You can never go wrong with photography. However, photos look better in frames. A canvas will make the photos look grainy. Drawings and paintings look better on canvas.
  • Ginny Lizotte
    9 anni fa
    What is a good source for this? Also, is it okay to use in a bathroom that might get a bit moist from shower?
  • PRO
    John MacLean Photography
    9 anni fa
    Ginny, I do custom printing, but I'm not the least expensive lab if that's what you're looking for. I do quality over quantity! And I don't stretch them, but ship rolled in heavy duty tubes. That keeps the shipping costs down, and the damage factor down! Here's the info: http://www.johnmaclean.com/data/web/9900_inkjet_pricing_CANVAS.pdf
    https://www.facebook.com/JohnMacLeanPhotoPrinting

Please let me know if I can be of service! ;)
  • PRO
    John MacLean Photography
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Jamie, My long time friend John Weldon does the printing for Jeff Mitchum. The prints you're referring to are Fuji Flex Super Gloss. I know Jeff too. Here's the info: http://www.weldoncolorlab.com/fujiflex.php
  • PRO
    PeeM
    9 anni fa
    being an artist, canvas is purely meant for artistic expression which last for years, not for megapixel size graphic prints which keeps changing with passing trends.
  • ashilleong
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Being an artist, presumably you understand that art means different things to different people. Photography can be art.
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Need to use a really sharp photo.
  • PRO
    Artfuly
    9 anni fa
    Why not commission a pop artist to paint the photo of your dog? For original, unique and affordable artworks delivered door to door see Artfuly.com. We can also arrange commissions. See Scott Hynd for pop art
  • Jane
    8 anni fa

When done well, this can look great. But often ends up looking a bit tacky to me.

• PRO
    John MacLean Photography
    8 anni fa
    @blenderdesign - could it be the content of the photo rather than the context of the substrate you're referring to?
  • PRO
    John Scarpa
    7 anni fa

Depends on the image but generally large canvas prints can have a great impact on the viewer.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".